Huck & Tom.. Get Fixed

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
Let's get Politically Correct with the classics, shall we..

Mark Twain would understand..

It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them.
Mark Twain

Yates County, N.Y. —

Mark Twain’s ‘Huckleberry Finn’ is rightfully considered a cornerstone of American literature. T.S.Eliot called it “a masterpiece.” Ernest Hemmingway regarded it as the source of “all modern American literature.” Yet some of Twain’s accuracy in describing the antebellum South has raised eyebrows and hackles in this age of growing political correctness.

NewSouth Books and Twain scholar Alan Gribben are releasing a new edition of the 1884 original combined with ‘Tom Sawyer’ where a common and objectionable corruption of the word negro is replaced with the word “slave,” “half-breed” with “half blood,” and “Injun Joe” is called “Indian Joe.”

Huckleberry Finn political corrections are panned locally - Penn Yan, NY - Penn Yan Chronicle-Express

Some Mark Twain.. quotes

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
Mark Twain

Man is the only animal that blushes - or needs to.
Mark Twain

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
Mark Twain

Hey I know....

As long as we're going to touch up old masterpieces to make then child friendly, why not paint over all the naughty-bits in the pictures and statuary in our museums, too?

We owe it to the children to destroy our culture's masterpieces.

Hey I know....

As long as we're going to touch up old masterpieces to make then child friendly, why not paint over all the naughty-bits in the pictures and statuary in our museums, too?

We owe it to the children to destroy our culture's masterpieces.

Why stop here.. lets rewrite all books, including history.

Forum List

Back