MARINES: would you encourage your son to become one?

MARINES, would you encourage your son to join if you had one?

• YES, I would encourage him for many reasons

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • YES I would but not at this time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES I would but only if DADT stands

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'd fight but not sacrifice my son

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Pray hard

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
I'm a former Marine, 1960-64.
If he has experienced some real discipline, particularly from his father, and he is presently in reasonably good physical condition he'll be ok. They do a good job of making the most of the recruits they get, although a percentage wash out. We lost a couple out of 70 who started in our recruit platoon.

It was among my best life experiences. When I came out, I felt much more capable of dealing with the adult world than before. There is no other service I would have changed for while in, or after I came out.

Thanks for this and thanks for serving our country!

My son is unique. He's a strong, good looking guy with a personality of Seinfeld. IMO his approach at life is one of the best, he looks for ways to laugh in every situation. He's a class clown but not rebelliously, I mean, he doesn't go for laughs from the class by dissing the teacher, he doesn't have to, he finds too much humor in whatever surrounds him. So his teachers have all loved him and raved about him. They have tried to give me credit for him as some have here, but I really can't take it. He was born this way. I did daycare, I know, having watched so many kids grow up, their disposition is often what they're born with. And I'm afraid part of the reason he wants to join may be because he craves discipline which I never gave him. I never had to. And the rare times he ever did anything wrong, I pretty much didn't punish him if he told me about it on his own. My kids both grew up knowing if they told the truth, it pretty much got them off scott free. A lot of people would chastise me for that but..gosh they've just always been so good.

So, um, if he does something wrong in life and thinks he's going to get away with it as long as he voluntarily admits it, um.....it doesn't usually turn out that way in real life...oops. :redface:

Seinfeld in the Marines...I just don't get it. But he's determined. And after this board and the many military and special ops friends I've talked with...I guess I'm going to have to support it fully and pray he comes home safe.

Thanks so much for all the input, it has really helped, and has been confirmed offline too.

When I enlisted, I enlisted in a buddy group of 6, and my best friend was in the group. His dad died when he was a baby and he was raised by his mom, and had only an older sister. He had no father in his life, and all his discipline came through his mom. He had a great sense of humor, and on thinking about it, I would have to call it closest to Seinfeld's than any I can think of. I think in our group, he was probably quickest to adopt to the reality of our situation. A sense of humor like Seinfeld's does help.

Last edited:
More career options and faster promotion. :cool:

The faster promotion part is very true. The Corps has the slowest rate of promotions compared to the other branches. I believe the Army has the quickest.

One of the reason the Corps has the slowest is there are fewer people and the competition is stiff.

Fewer people in the Corps makes it slower? Gosh when I lived in Mammoth people were so scarce and I skyrocketed just for showing up. But I believe you, and thanks so much again.

I would never encourage my child to be cannon fodder for someone else's profit.

If my child expressed an interest in joining the military, I'd encourage him/her to think long and hard about the reasons why and act in accordance with his/her own conscience and will.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
More career options and faster promotion. :cool:

The faster promotion part is very true. The Corps has the slowest rate of promotions compared to the other branches. I believe the Army has the quickest.

One of the reason the Corps has the slowest is there are fewer people and the competition is stiff.

Fewer people in the Corps makes it slower? Gosh when I lived in Mammoth people were so scarce and I skyrocketed just for showing up. But I believe you, and thanks so much again.
Shooter's right; rank comes slowly. Any time you see a military detail like for a president or a member of congress' funeral on TV, check out the "ranks" (stripes) of the men. You might see a PFC or a L/Cpl (E-2 and E-3) Marine amongst guys of many more stripes (E-5s or E-6s) from the other services. The Corps expects more out of it's men and women, those who are astute, to take great responsibility.

Last edited:
My kids are all (three) girls. None of them ever expressed an interest in joining the military but if they had I would have done my best to discourage it.

If I had a son I would discourage him from joining the military at this time because there is no good reason for him to do so. But if there were a good reason for him to enlist, whether or not I would encourage him to join the Corps would depend on his personality -- because the Marine Corps is not for everybody. It takes a certain type of individual to get along in (and with) the Marine Corps.

I put four years in the Corps back in the fifties. At the time I was perfectly compatible with that lifestyle but I've changed quite a bit since then. I view the world much differently today and if I had a son who was more cerebral than physical, I would try to steer him toward the Air Force.

When I was stationed on Okinawa I sometimes took advantage of the Air Force's hospitality and went to their EM Club on Kadena Air Force Base, which was amazingly different from the Marine "slop chutes" I was used to. Overall, the way Air Force personnel lived was enviably different in every way.

What I suppose it gets down to is machismo. A boy who would rather be out raising hell than home reading a book will live better in the Air Force but he won't be happy.

I'm a former Marine, 1960-64.
If he has experienced some real discipline, particularly from his father, and he is presently in reasonably good physical condition he'll be ok. They do a good job of making the most of the recruits they get, although a percentage wash out. We lost a couple out of 70 who started in our recruit platoon.

It was among my best life experiences. When I came out, I felt much more capable of dealing with the adult world than before. There is no other service I would have changed for while in, or after I came out.

Thanks for this and thanks for serving our country!

My son is unique. He's a strong, good looking guy with a personality of Seinfeld. IMO his approach at life is one of the best, he looks for ways to laugh in every situation. He's a class clown but not rebelliously, I mean, he doesn't go for laughs from the class by dissing the teacher, he doesn't have to, he finds too much humor in whatever surrounds him. So his teachers have all loved him and raved about him. They have tried to give me credit for him as some have here, but I really can't take it. He was born this way. I did daycare, I know, having watched so many kids grow up, their disposition is often what they're born with. And I'm afraid part of the reason he wants to join may be because he craves discipline which I never gave him. I never had to. And the rare times he ever did anything wrong, I pretty much didn't punish him if he told me about it on his own. My kids both grew up knowing if they told the truth, it pretty much got them off scott free. A lot of people would chastise me for that but..gosh they've just always been so good.

So, um, if he does something wrong in life and thinks he's going to get away with it as long as he voluntarily admits it, um.....it doesn't usually turn out that way in real life...oops. :redface:

Seinfeld in the Marines...I just don't get it. But he's determined. And after this board and the many military and special ops friends I've talked with...I guess I'm going to have to support it fully and pray he comes home safe.

Thanks so much for all the input, it has really helped, and has been confirmed offline too.

From what you say he sounds he will do fine in the Marines.

It sure sounds like you've served without saying so...if so, thanks so much
bighug.gif

and thanks for all the info!

I haven't read all the other responses on here yet, so I don't know what you've been told. I had to vote yes because that was the best choice.

Being retired Army I have recommended to my sons that they sign up for the Army. None of them did, to my disappointment. But I do have a Grandson in the Navy.

Anyway I'll tell you the same thing I used to tell my troops when I had to give them the dreaded re-enlistment talk.

Some can.
Some can't.
Some should.
Some shouldn't.

Only the individual can make the right determination of which category they fall into.

Support his decision, whatever it is.

I would never encourage my child to be cannon fodder for someone else's profit.

If my child expressed an interest in joining the military, I'd encourage him/her to think long and hard about the reasons why and act in accordance with his/her own conscience and will.

Profit?

How long do you think we would last if we had no military? Their very presence causes other nations that would take us over in a heartbeat if they could, from doing so.

Profit?

Yes I've profited. I live comfortably with my family, I have had the joy of watching them grow up, I wasn't ordered to move where ever some totalitarian ordered us to go, my family isn't starving, I haven't had to watch my children suffer or be taken from me, I've had the freedom to object to a public school system and I've appreciated very much that I have the freedom of worship. Yes I have profited and been blessed thanks to the courage and fortitude of those willing to sacrifice their lives and limbs that we could live in freedom. And I for one am very grateful.

But you, JB, be sure you keep yourself from encouraging your kids to get anywhere close to a battle. You can stand on the sidelines with a peace sign and look down at everyone who values freedom. You would get along well with some of my family members. If and when we are ever invaded, be sure you have the first bouquet to welcome in our task masters, you might go far.

I haven't read all the other responses on here yet, so I don't know what you've been told. I had to vote yes because that was the best choice.

Being retired Army I have recommended to my sons that they sign up for the Army. None of them did, to my disappointment. But I do have a Grandson in the Navy.

Anyway I'll tell you the same thing I used to tell my troops when I had to give them the dreaded re-enlistment talk.

Some can.
Some can't.
Some should.
Some shouldn't.

Only the individual can make the right determination of which category they fall into.

Support his decision, whatever it is.

Thank you SO MUCH SFC

Again,

IMG_0979.jpg

If I had a son (which I won't, because we're overpopulated and have transformed this pristine natural earth into a consumer/industrial cesspool), I'd discourage him from joining the military unless he was in financial dire straits and had no other viable occupation to choose from. You know, unemployment being 22 percent and all and manufacturing jobs outsourced which will never come back. The young generation's choices are quite limited.

Last edited:
If I had a son (which I won't, because we're overpopulated and have transformed this pristine natural earth into a consumer/industrial cesspool), I'd discourage him from joining the military unless he was in financial dire straits and had no other viable occupation to choose from. You know, unemployment being 22 percent and all and manufacturing jobs outsourced which will never come back. The young generation's choices are quite limited.

And then you have to sometimes see things like this and wonder if it was all worth it.

Don't you love the yuppie opinion that "it takes a certian type of personality" to become a Marine? High School graduates don't have a "certain type of personality". They are kids learning how to become leaders in a hostile world. Believe me, if they had the guts and determination to make it through Marine Corps boot camp regardless of whether they served in combat it would be an experience they would be proud of for the rest of their lives. Once a Marine always a Marine and they would be the only ones to be able to use the term "Semper Fi" to address fellow MARINES.

Hey Dude, here is a News Flash!!

The 60's are over and the world is still here!!

Time to trade in the tie-dye shirts and bell bottom pants and join the human race. :cool:

Last edited:

Bones, I believe this pristine natural earth is far more burdened by the darkness of our sins which DOES have an impact on it, than any carbon footprint.

The most beautiful land on the planet can't compare to what God originally intended for us. This remnant left behind after the fall is breathtaking, especially in the mountains, but God has so much more coming. Look up. He has a plan, He really does. All will not end with this planet, though I agree we should take care of it to the best of our ability, it was one of the first jobs Adam had.

Thanks for your input. But I SO appreciate I didn't have to raise my family under a dictatorship, watch them suffer and live off rations or escape extermination...look at history, if it wasn't for the sacrifices of so many Americans and of course God being with us, I have no doubt the world would have been under that rule long ago.

And then you have to sometimes see things like this and wonder if it was all worth it.

Ollie, I think if you saw a glimpse of where the peaceniks would be without you, even if they don't appreciate you, you'd still be glad. If you ever had to walk past an angry mob of protestors, know you walked in good company...

My son wants to be a marine.

He's 12 and plays a lot of video games.
And that's the problem. Video games, such as America's Army or Battlefield 1942, glorifies every aspect of war without the user experiencing any of the actual consequences. In a video game, when you die you respawn and can play again. There are no continues on a real battlefield.

Also, in a video game, you don't witness your comrade's intestines leaking out nor do you smell the rot of the dead nor can you feel the pain of a severed limb. These kids who play a goddamn simulation and then want to be a real soldier have no fucking idea. None. Ze-ro.

So, if your son truly wants to be a soldier when he becomes of age, bear in mind he may still rely on battle simulations as an example of what really happens on a battlefield. I'm not patronizing you either. There are 18 year olds who join the army gung-ho thinking its going to be just like a video game. Sad, but true.

Last edited:
My son wants to be a marine.

He's 12 and plays a lot of video games.
And that's the problem. Video games, such as America's Army or Battlefield 1942, glorifies every aspect of war without the user experiencing any of the actual consequences. In a video game, when you die you respawn and can play again. There are no continues on a real battlefield.

Also, in a video game, you don't witness your comrade's intestines leaking out nor do you smell the rot of the dead nor can you feel the pain of a severed limb. These kids who play a goddamn simulation and then want to be a real soldier have no fucking idea. None. Ze-ro.

So, if your son truly wants to be a soldier when he becomes of age, bear in mind he may still rely on battle simulations as an example of what really happens on a battlefield. I'm not patronizing you either. There are 18 year olds who join the army gung-ho thinking its going to be just like a video game. Sad, but true.

I credit my kid with more than that at 18, but at 15 he learned how to drive with a video game mentality at first. Whenever he found himself in a tough situation, like turning into a tight lane, his reaction was to step on the gas hard, just like in a video game, you get in a tough spot and you go out guns blazing.

I thought the military counted on that strategy...

Forum List

Back