MARINES: would you encourage your son to become one?

MARINES, would you encourage your son to join if you had one?

• YES, I would encourage him for many reasons

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • YES I would but not at this time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES I would but only if DADT stands

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'd fight but not sacrifice my son

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Pray hard

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
I was in the Corps for 31 years and when my son told me when he was a senior in high school that he wanted to join the Marines I couldn't have been prouder. I always suspected he would follow in my shoes but I NEVER pushed him. I always wanted my children to decide for themselves.

He's currently in his 15th year and 3td tour in Afghanistan.

To the Marines on this board: Would you encourage your sons to become Marines?

My son has asked for my blessing, and I've already given it but I am completely losing it between trusting God and then thinking what could happen if he were captured. Threats to come after him if he has been captured have not been successful in dissuading him from signing (having your mom show up to rescue you...would a man be embarrassed by anything more? heh)

So I am sincerely asking, WHAT IS "breaking him down" really? Is that like twisting the heads off of puppies to destroy all softness in him?

And would you encourage your son to follow your footsteps and join? Does that even happen? Are there generational Marines?

Thank you very much.
I encouraged my stepson to join the Marines.
I'm ex-Navy so it wasn't easy :tongue:
That was before 9-11. He ended up being in the first push into Iraq.
I couldn't be more proud.
The "breaking down" is just a Vulcan mind trick kinda thing. They gotta get them down to the basics so they can react with instinct and follow orders without clouded thought.
Second-guesses and taking the time for your conscience to weigh in will get you hurt or killed.

The obvious love you have for your son has built the foundation of a great man. The Marine Corps can build on to that with respect, attention to detail, drive, and a brotherhood of Marines (past and present) that will propell him through life with his head screwed on tight, held high, and looking straight ahead.

Of course these are the opinions of a dad.
Watching my wife sit up through the nights with her eyes glued to the 24hr news, trying to catch a glimpse or a sound byte about his unit, worrying over every IED report, jumping out of her skin every time the phone rang, etc.... She would tell you, in no uncertain terms "NO".
:eusa_pray:

gasp.gif
wail.gif

just the same, hortysir and Shooter and everyone who served, young and old, past and present, THANK YOU has a whole new depth:

thank_troops_background.jpg

Last edited:
I think Your Son will have your blessing in anything he chooses to do in his life,
but your support will be important to him.
Becoming a Marine is an Honorable goal, may he make you proud

Every Marine is a Rifleman

Last edited:
My son thought about joining and asked me to help him pick between Marines and Army.

I told him if he wanted to go infantry; then I would vote for the Marines.

Better training and they still focus on marksmanship.

But for any other field of choice; I advised him to go Army.

More career options and faster promotion. :cool:

Last edited:

My son has asked for my blessing, and I've already given it but I am completely losing it between trusting God and then thinking what could happen if he were captured. Threats to come after him if he has been captured have not been successful in dissuading him from signing (having your mom show up to rescue you...would a man be embarrassed by anything more? heh)

So I am sincerely asking, WHAT IS "breaking him down" really? Is that like twisting the heads off of puppies to destroy all softness in him?

And would you encourage your son to follow your footsteps and join? Does that even happen? Are there generational Marines?

Thank you very much and please don't rep me for this thread, thanks.

I'm a former Marine, 1960-64.
If he has experienced some real discipline, particularly from his father, and he is presently in reasonably good physical condition he'll be ok. They do a good job of making the most of the recruits they get, although a percentage wash out. We lost a couple out of 70 who started in our recruit platoon.

It was among my best life experiences. When I came out, I felt much more capable of dealing with the adult world than before. There is no other service I would have changed for while in, or after I came out.

If thats what he really wanted to do, I would make sure he knows what hes getting into, and than I would support him 100%.

but how can you really know until you're there? I don't think you can. You've got to walk in those boots to really know what it is, don't you?

And yep, he really wants to. So many people have had long talks with him, he listens, seems to agree, then half an hour later or whenever he sees me he says, "You DO realize I'm going, right?" He's doing a lot to prepare before signing. Working out hard. He promised someone else he would wait and think about it until a certain date which is almost here.

That's why I think God's calling him to it. He's agreed to ask Him about it, that's all I care about. If he goes with God, gosh, he could walk through fire and not be hurt. Or be taken home if that's His will. Just as long as he goes with God. That's all that really matters.

You are correct, you really won't know until you touch ground and actually start basic training to know if you have what it takes but, I would make sure my son knows as much as possible about whats expected of you in the Marines and what the training is like and if possible have him to talk to a former Marine or a Marine who is currently serving to have him ask questions. If after that he still wanted to do it, I would support it.

That my son was thinking about joining the service made me glad he has goals.

I believe that it will be good for him. His is debating between college and the military.

His was raised by my ex wife and is a pretty good kid and a very strong Christian.

So either way he chooses I will be proud of him. :eusa_angel:

I believe that it will be good for him. His is debating between college and the military.

His was raised by my ex wife and is a pretty good kid and a very strong Christian.

He could go to college and then join the Military after as an Officer if thats he wants, more pay in that also.

He could go to college and then join the Military after as an Officer if thats he wants, more pay in that also.
That's a good idea.

He kind of want's to be a lawyer. So I suggested for him to sign up for JAG as his field.

That way he could save for college plus get some legal experience.

That's a good idea.

He kind of want's to be a lawyer. So I suggested for him to sign up for JAG as his field.

Thats an excellent idea, if he wants to be a Lawyer he could definently do that in the Military, and than get out after he serves his commitment if he wants to and make big bucks. I met a Dentist who had the Air Force pay for his whole dental school for him, he has to fulfill 4 years of an enlistmet as an officer and than he is free to get out if he wants with no student loans.:clap2:

That's a good idea.

Thats an excellent idea, if he wants to be a Lawyer he could definently do that in the Military, and than get out after he serves his commitment if he wants to and make big bucks. I met a Dentist who had the Air Force pay for his whole dental school for him, he has to fulfill 4 years of an enlistmet as an officer and than he is free to get out if he wants with no student loans.
My ex brother-in-law basically did the same thing with the Army.

The Arny paid his 4 years of collage and then paid for his medical school.

He entered the Army as an MD and was commissioned as a Captain.

He then had to then serve a 10 year obligation.

Which he did and then left the service and started his own private practice.

That's a good idea.

Thats an excellent idea, if he wants to be a Lawyer he could definently do that in the Military, and than get out after he serves his commitment if he wants to and make big bucks. I met a Dentist who had the Air Force pay for his whole dental school for him, he has to fulfill 4 years of an enlistmet as an officer and than he is free to get out if he wants with no student loans.
My ex brother-in-law basically did the same thing with the Army.

The Arny paid his 4 years of collage and then paid for his medical school.

He entered the Army as an MD and was commissioned as a Captain.

He then had to then serve a 10 year obligation.

Which he did and then left the service and started his own private practice.

Thats what I'm talking about, the Military does provide good opportunities like this, there are really very few places that will pay for your medical school or law school like this.

That's why I think God's calling him to it. He's agreed to ask Him about it, that's all I care about. If he goes with God, gosh, he could walk through fire and not be hurt. Or be taken home if that's His will. Just as long as he goes with God. That's all that really matters.
Indeed it is. :)

If he has experienced some real discipline, particularly from his father, and he is presently in reasonably good physical condition he'll be ok. They do a good job of making the most of the recruits they get, although a percentage wash out. We lost a couple out of 70 who started in our recruit platoon.

It was among my best life experiences. When I came out, I felt much more capable of dealing with the adult world than before. There is no other service I would have changed for while in, or after I came out.

Thanks for this and thanks for serving our country!

My son is unique. He's a strong, good looking guy with a personality of Seinfeld. IMO his approach at life is one of the best, he looks for ways to laugh in every situation. He's a class clown but not rebelliously, I mean, he doesn't go for laughs from the class by dissing the teacher, he doesn't have to, he finds too much humor in whatever surrounds him. So his teachers have all loved him and raved about him. They have tried to give me credit for him as some have here, but I really can't take it. He was born this way. I did daycare, I know, having watched so many kids grow up, their disposition is often what they're born with. And I'm afraid part of the reason he wants to join may be because he craves discipline which I never gave him. I never had to. And the rare times he ever did anything wrong, I pretty much didn't punish him if he told me about it on his own. My kids both grew up knowing if they told the truth, it pretty much got them off scott free. A lot of people would chastise me for that but..gosh they've just always been so good.

So, um, if he does something wrong in life and thinks he's going to get away with it as long as he voluntarily admits it, um.....it doesn't usually turn out that way in real life...oops. :redface:

Seinfeld in the Marines...I just don't get it. But he's determined. And after this board and the many military and special ops friends I've talked with...I guess I'm going to have to support it fully and pray he comes home safe.

Thanks so much for all the input, it has really helped, and has been confirmed offline too.

Thanks for this and thanks for serving our country!

My son is unique. He's a strong, good looking guy with a personality of Seinfeld. IMO his approach at life is one of the best, he looks for ways to laugh in every situation. He's a class clown but not rebelliously, I mean, he doesn't go for laughs from the class by dissing the teacher, he doesn't have to, he finds too much humor in whatever surrounds him. So his teachers have all loved him and raved about him. They have tried to give me credit for him as some have here, but I really can't take it. He was born this way. I did daycare, I know, having watched so many kids grow up, their disposition is often what they're born with. And I'm afraid part of the reason he wants to join may be because he craves discipline which I never gave him. I never had to. And the rare times he ever did anything wrong, I pretty much didn't punish him if he told me about it on his own. My kids both grew up knowing if they told the truth, it pretty much got them off scott free. A lot of people would chastise me for that but..gosh they've just always been so good.

So, um, if he does something wrong in life and thinks he's going to get away with it as long as he voluntarily admits it, um.....it doesn't usually turn out that way in real life...oops. :redface:

Seinfeld in the Marines...I just don't get it. But he's determined. And after this board and the many military and special ops friends I've talked with...I guess I'm going to have to support it fully and pray he comes home safe.

Thanks so much for all the input, it has really helped, and has been confirmed offline too.

From what you say he sounds he will do fine in the Marines.

That's a good idea.

Thats an excellent idea, if he wants to be a Lawyer he could definently do that in the Military, and than get out after he serves his commitment if he wants to and make big bucks. I met a Dentist who had the Air Force pay for his whole dental school for him, he has to fulfill 4 years of an enlistmet as an officer and than he is free to get out if he wants with no student loans.:clap2:

Great ideas but he already was prepaid and set for college as far as he wanted to take it. He quit to join the Marines. It's what his grandpa uses to criticize his choices, says he was sure he wanted to go to college and quit, won't be able to quit this.

He says he wants to be challenged. I said move to the mountains and tough out the storms... nope, has to be the Marines.

That's a good idea.

Great ideas but he already was prepaid and set for college as far as he wanted to take it. He quit to join the Marines. It's what his grandpa uses to criticize his choices, says he was sure he wanted to go to college and quit, won't be able to quit this.

He says he wants to be challenged. I said move to the mountains and tough out the storms... nope, has to be the Marines.

If he wanted to he still could have finished college and than joined the Marines as an Officer, but you are right they definently won't let you quit the Marines in Basic Training. But, some people aren't meant to go to college right away, some people join the Military for an enlisment and than get out and go to college when they are more focused and decided on what they want to do.

More career options and faster promotion. :cool:

The faster promotion part is very true. The Corps has the slowest rate of promotions compared to the other branches. I believe the Army has the quickest.

One of the reason the Corps has the slowest is there are fewer people and the competition is stiff.

Forum List

Back