Marco Rubio's Surprising Interest In India

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
That is surprising indeed.

---

Among the Republican field, Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) has a well-known interest in foreign policy. Since his election to the U.S. Senate in 2010, he has served on the Foreign Affairs Committee, the Select Committee on Intelligence, and the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. He has made his voice heard especially in the debate over policy toward Cuba, from where his parents fled. What’s lesser known, and a bit more surprising, is this: the junior senator from Florida also has a declared interest in India.

640x0.jpg

Last September, coinciding with Indian prime minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Washington, Rubio penned an op-ed in the Daily Signal. He faulted the Obama administration for having “neglected” India after the George W. Bush administration’s opening to New Delhi. According to Rubio: “India, the world’s largest democracy, has the potential to become a key U.S. partner in the decades ahead.”

Rubio wants to strengthen security cooperation with India, especially through joint naval exercises bilaterally and with other partners, and collaboration on “emerging technologies” in missile defense and in space. He advocates deeper cooperation with India, not just in South Asia, but also by “encouraging greater Indian involvement” in the Middle East and East Asia. He notes India’s large Muslim population and its stake in combating radical Islam. Finally, he uses the example of Florida’s $1 billion annual exports to India to illustrate why trade ties with India’s large and growing market matter to Americans.

Read more: The U.S. Presidential Race Marco Rubio s Surprising Interest In India - Forbes

I like Rubio. I don't trust him to be President, but he's the best the republican field has offered up so far.

I will support any increase in cooperation with India. Our foreign policy is slowly shifting from a focus on the middle east shithole towards a much smarter focus on Asia. And India could and should be among our most important allies over there.

I like Rubio. I don't trust him to be President, but he's the best the republican field has offered up so far.

I will support any increase in cooperation with India. Our foreign policy is slowly shifting from a focus on the middle east shithole towards a much smarter focus on Asia. And India could and should be among our most important allies over there.

That settles it. If you like him, then he's off my list. We need a president that is interested in America, and Americans

That settles it. If you like him, then he's off my list. We need a president that is interested in America, and Americans
Great! Then perhaps I can interest you in a new candidate! Find out about him at TedCruz.com. :thup:

I like all republican candidates, guess you must hate them now. /sarcasm

His interest in India is from an American perspective. His state makes billions of dollars selling goods and services to India.

Forum List

Back