Many Men Are Slackers. Work Primarily To Impress Women.

Rikurzhen

Gold Member
Jul 24, 2014
I thought I'd throw this out for some debate:

This paper estimates the returns to career decisions in the marriage market and the returns to marital choices in the labor market. Theoretically, investments in the labor market could affect the chances of receiving a marriage offer, the type of offer, and the probability of getting divorced. Also, marital status could affect one ís outcomes in the labor market, most notably the marriage premium in wages. To untangle this simultaneous decision-making process, I develop a dynamic programming model of the joint career and marital decisions of young men between the ages of 16 and 39. The results show that labor market decisions are strongly influenced by their returns in the marriage market. If there were no returns to career choices in the marriage market, men would tend to work less, study less, and choose blue-collar jobs over white-collar jobs. These results suggest that the existing literature underestimates the true returns to human capital investments by ignoring their returns in the marriage market. In addition, the results show that the marriage premium is much lower than traditional OLS estimates, and is virtually non-existent for higher wage men. This result suggests that while marriage may make low wage men more serious about their careers, marriage has little effect on high wage men who are already highly motivated.
Let's see which direction the discussion takes us.

I work to support my daughter.

If that falls under "to impress women", so be it... but somehow I doubt it does.

" I develop a dynamic programming model of the joint career and marital decisions of young men between the ages of 16 and 39."

Dream on. Why would a young man make a rational decision in that kind of situation?

" I develop a dynamic programming model of the joint career and marital decisions of young men between the ages of 16 and 39."

Dream on. Why would a young man make a rational decision in that kind of situation?

Because girls and women are not much turned on by slackers with no money?

The priorities of girls and women are not so predictable. In my experience anyway.

Think about it. A geeky, logical, computer programmer is going to capture the inner workings of the female mind using lines of code.

Can't be done...in my opinion anyway.

The priorities of girls and women are not so predictable. In my experience anyway.

Think about it. A geeky, logical, computer programmer is going to capture the inner workings of the female mind using lines of code.

Hey, hold up there a second, we're not trying to turn computers into smoking hulks of metal by tasking them with impossible missions.

He investigated how much influence jobs and money had based on marital outcomes. Most of the blue collar and some of the white collar guys would work less if money/status didn't influence girls.

Think of it in the reverse, would women work to maintain their appearance if men were indifferent to female appearance? They'd be going out for a night on the town dressed in their sweats and why would they bother with make-up?

Hey, hold up there a second, we're not trying to turn computers into smoking hulks of metal by tasking them with impossible missions.

He investigated how much influence jobs and money had based on marital outcomes. Most of the blue collar and some of the white collar guys would work less if money/status didn't influence girls.

Think of it in the reverse, would women work to maintain their appearance if men were indifferent to female appearance? They'd be going out for a night on the town dressed in their sweats and why would they bother with make-up?

I think women tend to dress for other women. But I sure as heck would not attempt to build a computer model which would mimic a behavior like that. It might turn into Skynet or something.

Forum List

Back