Manufacturing Slowing Down ?

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
Manufacturing shrinks, first time in nearly three years | Reuters

The Institute for Supply Management said on Monday its index of national factory activity fell to 49.7 from 53.5 the month before, missing expectations of 52.0, according to a Reuters poll of economists, and below even the lowest forecast.

It was the first time since July 2009 that the index has fallen below the 50 mark that separates expansion from contraction. That was shortly after the U.S. economy emerged from recession.

Manufacturing has been one of the drivers of the U.S. economic recovery, which now appears to be losing momentum over fears about the euro zone's debt crisis, a slowdown in China and uncertainty over domestic fiscal policy.

"Clearly this is the biggest sign yet that the U.S. is catching the slowdown that is well under way in Europe and China," said Paul Dales, senior U.S. economist at Capital Economics in London.

Dales said the report is consistent with an economy that is growing at an annualized rate of a little below 1 percent after 1.9 percent growth in the first quarter, dismissing talk that the number signaled a new U.S. recession was coming.

A reading below 47 would be consistent with another recession, Dales said.

Not good news for the country.

Hope this isn't a trend.

Looks like some mixed data in your link. We might not have another recession, but the economy looks like it's going to be VERY sluggish for quite awhile. If the taxes do go up as scheduled next year, then yeah, I'd say another recession is definitely in the cards.

"Gas is going to $5.00 per gallon by the 4th of July!"

Remember that prediction?

This isn't a prediction.

The numbers show it slowed....

Can't you get anything right ?

And gas prices rose at some point leading to a bunch of hand wringing. I've worked in the Aerospace/Defense manufacturing industry since the day I retired from the military, 7 years ago, and we can't find enough skilled people to fill the jobs. We are booming across the nation.

Looks like some mixed data in your link. We might not have another recession, but the economy looks like it's going to be VERY sluggish for quite awhile. If the taxes do go up as scheduled next year, then yeah, I'd say another recession is definitely in the cards.

It has been slowly rising from a very dismal low.

I am not hoping for another downturn.

I am hoping Obama gets beat so we can get it rolling at it's full potential.

Here comes round two... The economy and it's destroying of any hope of reelection for Obama. The catastrophe of European economies (Spain, etc.) is surely going to have a domino effect on American businesses, and we all no there will be no Stimulus this time around... It's just political suicide at this point. Companies will close their doors, and unemployment will steadily increase. The ship is going to start sinking, and the politicians are going to position themselves close to the lifeboats, unfortunately it is the American worker who will most likely be the ones left treading water.

Well your hopes will be dashed, Obama will win reelection by 7%.

More likely unemployment will rise by another 7%.

More of your s**t covered crystal ball.

Keep your obama blow up doll. It might be a collector's item some time in the future.

We will need them to burn in effigy once he is gone.

BTW: You are slipping. AZ is now in the Romney colum as leaning. Looks like Obama's play for it isn't working. You need to be out doing more door to door. You might lose AZ.

Last edited:

Nobody really expected the economy to take such a shit and bring prices down.

But yes, Obama's double dip now looks like a reality.

BS- change the channel.. But thanks for the depression, and paralyzing the congress since 2/4/2010, all the jobs and infrastucture bills, and the fearmongering, lies, and hate nonstop. You'll get your just reward.

Romneycare for all. Already a great success.

It has been slowly rising from a very dismal low. TRUE

I am not hoping for another downturn. ME NEITHER

Don't know about full potential, I'll settle for significant improvement. I think if Obama is re-elected we're in for 4 more years that is similar in nature and scope to what we've had over the last 3. Which IMHO isn't acceptable.

Nobody really expected the economy to take such a shit and bring prices down.

But yes, Obama's double dip now looks like a reality.

BS- change the channel.. But thanks for the depression, and paralyzing the congress since 2/4/2010, all the jobs and infrastucture bills, and the fearmongering nonstop. You'll get your just reward.

Romneycare for all. Already a great success.

We started to get it in 2010....now we get the senate.

Maybe even the WH...

Not our reward.....

Obama's.

This isn't a prediction.

And gas prices rose at some point leading to a bunch of hand wringing. I've worked in the Aerospace/Defense manufacturing industry since the day I retired from the military, 7 years ago, and we can't find enough skilled people to fill the jobs. We are booming across the nation.

A link to your job search website would be pos repped

More of your s**t covered crystal ball.

Keep your obama blow up doll. It might be a collector's item some time in the future.

We will need them to burn in effigy once he is gone.

You can check my track record on my political predictions, I will be correct about Obama winning.

I don't own an Obama doll, but, just like your ancestors, I'm sure you can find a real black man to burn in effigy. Maybe you can make a postcard from a photo of the event.

P.S. I don't think the USPS will mail the postcards like they used to.

Manufacturing shrinks, first time in nearly three years | Reuters

The Institute for Supply Management said on Monday its index of national factory activity fell to 49.7 from 53.5 the month before, missing expectations of 52.0, according to a Reuters poll of economists, and below even the lowest forecast.

It was the first time since July 2009 that the index has fallen below the 50 mark that separates expansion from contraction. That was shortly after the U.S. economy emerged from recession.

Manufacturing has been one of the drivers of the U.S. economic recovery, which now appears to be losing momentum over fears about the euro zone's debt crisis, a slowdown in China and uncertainty over domestic fiscal policy.

"Clearly this is the biggest sign yet that the U.S. is catching the slowdown that is well under way in Europe and China," said Paul Dales, senior U.S. economist at Capital Economics in London.

Dales said the report is consistent with an economy that is growing at an annualized rate of a little below 1 percent after 1.9 percent growth in the first quarter, dismissing talk that the number signaled a new U.S. recession was coming.

A reading below 47 would be consistent with another recession, Dales said.

Not good news for the country.

Hope this isn't a trend.

Well we were due for another recession.

but with everywhere else going down, this could be really really bad.

fingers crossed, and hope for the best

This isn't a prediction.

A link to your job search website would be pos repped

Here you go:

NDT Jobs Inspection Jobs API CWI 653 510 NACE ACI ICC ICBO NBIC ASHI NDT Resumes rope access inspector

https://www.inspectionjobs.com/

Ndt, Nondestructive Testing Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com

Search Jobs by Aviation Employment

Forum List

Back