Man who Burned a Quran Fired from Transit Job... I smell... LAWSUIT!

This is a page out of the theater of the absurd.

Fenton has a job function of punching little holes in train tickets. For that function, the STATE pays him a living wage, top of the line health care benefits, retirement benefits, liberal sick and vacation leave, etc..

Fenton claims membership in an anti-STATIST organization, and makes a public display out of burning some religion's sacred scripture.

After the STATE, who's teat Fenton has been sucking, finds out about it, they fire him, claiming his actions reflect badly on their institution.

The liberal commie ACLU jumps into the fray and supports Fenton's right to be a hypocrite asshat. They're joined by wingnuts, who used to claim that an employer has the right to hire and fire for whatever reason they want.

Mel Brooks would be at a loss to come up with a scenario like this.

Sorry bout that,

1. Fear, fear is why he got shit canned.
2. Fear of muslims stepping on the bus line this man worked for and going, *Kerboom*.
3. You people are just too fucking stupid to see whats happenning here.
4. You are selling off your *Country* one piece at a time, with *FEAR OF MUSLIMS*, and you dumb fuckers don't even know it.:eek::eek::eek:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Fenton has a job function of punching little holes in train tickets. For that function, the STATE pays him a living wage, top of the line health care benefits, retirement benefits, liberal sick and vacation leave, etc..

Fenton claims membership in an anti-STATIST organization, and makes a public display out of burning some religion's sacred scripture.

After the STATE, who's teat Fenton has been sucking, finds out about it, they fire him, claiming his actions reflect badly on their institution.

The liberal commie ACLU jumps into the fray and supports Fenton's right to be a hypocrite asshat. They're joined by wingnuts, who used to claim that an employer has the right to hire and fire for whatever reason they want.

I am simply Observing the Region and the Reality...

Can you Quote me in the Past Contradicting anything on this Thread?...

:)

peace...

On the clock, sure.

Off the clock, unless you have a conduct clause in your employment agreement with the employee and as long as that agreement does not violate their constitutional rights, you might have some difficulty in doing so.
No. Publicly mocking the client can get one terminated...just like failing to attempt to meet a client's reasonable request can get one terminated. These are just the facts of life.
Not in a non-right to work state and not while practicing one's First Amendment rights andnot while off the clock.

Civil servants are a bit limitedin their off the clock activities (Hatch Act for feds, which has been challenged several times over the years), but as long as they do not represent themselves as an employee while participating in this sort of activity, they are clear.

But, give a try.
On further review, you could be correct.

This would mean that any public employee could walk around during their off hours yelling out ******, cracker, priests are all pedos, etc. with impunity.

Seems rather bizarre.

Sorry bout that,

1. Fear, fear is why he got shit canned.
2. Fear of muslims stepping on the bus line this man worked for and going, *Kerboom*.
3. You people are just too fucking stupid to see whats happenning here.
4. You are selling off your *Country* one piece at a time, with *FEAR OF MUSLIMS*, and you dumb fuckers don't even know it.:eek::eek::eek:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Yep.

peace...

If Fenton was fired for burning the Koran while off-duty, his First Amendment rights probably were violated, Chris Dunn of the New York Civil Liberties Union said.

"The Supreme Court has recognized a constitutional right to burn the flag. As reprehensible as it may be, burning the Koran would be protected as well."

The first amendment says you can't be prosecuted for exercising free speech. It does not say anything about firing.

Your boss can still fire you for burning the flag. What it comes down to is that if you do something that embarasses your employer...they can terminate you

so lets see, tell me RW if you were an employer, you own a co., what restrictions as to off the clock conduct would you require to maintain employment in your co.?

He had every right to burn the Koran and the state has every right to fire him for conduct that could be construed to intimidate the public they serve.

So all the people on the street knew he was a public employee?

I highly doubt that. And what's so intimidating about a few pieces of paper being set on fire?

What anyone chooses to do on their own time is nobody's business and certainly not the business of an employer.
He ended up in the paper...so they know now.

Are you telling me if one of your employees ended up in the paper doing something stupid you wouldn't have the right to fire them?

No I wouldn't.

Now if they were convicted of a felony I would but firing anyone for exercising their protected rights while on their own time is not something i would do.

If Fenton was fired for burning the Koran while off-duty, his First Amendment rights probably were violated, Chris Dunn of the New York Civil Liberties Union said.

"The Supreme Court has recognized a constitutional right to burn the flag. As reprehensible as it may be, burning the Koran would be protected as well."

The first amendment says you can't be prosecuted for exercising free speech. It does not say anything about firing.

Your boss can still fire you for burning the flag. What it comes down to is that if you do something that embarasses your employer...they can terminate you
Off hours and in a non-right to work state, they need cause. And, if their cause violates your constitutional rights, they are in big trouble.

I thought right to work had to do with requiring union membership. Can you post the provisions dealing with termination?

peace...

Not my style to waste time digging the record for neener neener gotchas. Do you seriously not see the entire absurdity in this story?

so lets see, tell me RW if you were an employer, you own a co., what restrictions as to off the clock conduct would you require to maintain employment in your co.?

Easy

If you do something in your off hours that makes the company look bad ...your FIRED

Off hours and in a non-right to work state, they need cause. And, if their cause violates your constitutional rights, they are in big trouble.

I thought right to work had to do with requiring union membership. Can you post the provisions dealing with termination?

The right to work is also part of the Communist Manifesto. Funny that the anti-Statist teabaggers now seem to be enamored with.

Easy

If you do something in your off hours that makes the company look bad ...your FIRED

In private industry that is somewhat true, most employers do not even have to have a reason to let someone go, but this was a government employee, things are handled a little differently.

WTF country do you live in, pal?!?

HERE, in the USA, employers can ONLY fire you with "no cause" in the Right To Work states;

otherwise, they'd better have a Damned Good Cause,

and, sorry about this, but burning books on your off time is NOT considered a Good Cause by ANYONE!

Can you post the relevant section of the Right to Work law?

peace...

Not my style to waste time digging the record for neener neener gotchas. Do you seriously not see the entire absurdity in this story?

I do... It's why I Posted it.

As for YOUR Assumptions a Thread I Created... Well, I took Issue with it Specifically.

I'm Simply Observing Life. ;)

peace...

Easy

uhm no that won't do.

can you be specific please?

Like, oh lets say you employ me and i go to a strip club and get thrown out? and you find out about it?

Or, I am involved with the local PTA and am very negatively verbal about the school administration?

Or I fall behind in my property taxes and my name is printed in the local paper....?

The right to work is also part of the Communist Manifesto. Funny that the anti-Statist teabaggers now seem to be enamored with.
Idiot.

This has nothing to do with left or right. It has to do with constitutional rights.

Moron.

Right To Work is all about the employer having the ultimate say so.

If you don't hold your mouth the "right way,"

you can be fired.

If the employer just basically doesn't like you, you can be fired.

It's a SHIT way to do thangs, giving ALL of the power to the employer and taking any power away from the worker.

Is it that you want a citation for what Right To Work encompasses?

'Cuz I feel pretty sure YOUR computer can access Google every bit as easily as mine...

Easy

uhm no that won't do.

can you be specific please?

Like, oh lets say you employ me and i go to a strip club and get thrown out? and you find out about it?

Or, I am involved with the local PTA and am very negatively verbal about the school administration?

Or I fall behind in my property taxes and my name is printed in the local paper....?

If you are employed by a church, then yes...you probably get fired
If not, probably nobody cares

If you are employed by the school, there is a good chance you could get fired, depending on what you said. If you collect garbage...I don't think anyone cares

Or I fall behind in my property taxes and my name is printed in the local paper

Again, it depends on the context of your employment. If you work for the town in question and are behind in your property taxes you could be fired

Right To Work is all about the employer having the ultimate say so.

If you don't hold your mouth the "right way,"

you can be fired.

If the employer just basically doesn't like you, you can be fired.

It's a SHIT way to do thangs, giving ALL of the power to the employer and taking any power away from the worker.

Is it that you want a citation for what Right To Work encompasses?

'Cuz I feel pretty sure YOUR computer can access Google every bit as easily as mine...

I had always seen "Right to Work" as pertaining to required union membership. Can you post a link where it details employee rights during termination?

Forum List

Back