Man who Burned a Quran Fired from Transit Job... I smell... LAWSUIT!

"Mr. Fenton's public actions violated New Jersey Transit's code of ethics," an agency statement said.

"NJ Transit concluded that Mr. Fenton violated his trust as a state employee and therefore [he] was dismissed."

Read more: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

Sounds like the New Jersey Transit authority is on the ball from their viewpoint, maybe we need them to run congress?

"Mr. Fenton's public actions violated New Jersey Transit's code of ethics," an agency statement said.

"NJ Transit concluded that Mr. Fenton violated his trust as a state employee and therefore [he] was dismissed."

Sounds like the New Jersey Transit authority is on the ball from their viewpoint, maybe we need them to run congress?

If Fenton was fired for burning the Koran while off-duty, his First Amendment rights probably were violated, Chris Dunn of the New York Civil Liberties Union said.

"The Supreme Court has recognized a constitutional right to burn the flag. As reprehensible as it may be, burning the Koran would be protected as well."

^And still MORE!...

It's on... You can Bet on that.

:)

peace...

getting serious for just a moment, they don't have a leg to stand on. I could be wrong but I seriously doubt they have a clause in his employment contract that speaks to suspension of 1st amend. rights and religious protests etc. are out....his union should be stepping up for him....

shit, now I have to takes sides with a public employee union...life sux.:evil:

will Obama hold a press conference announcing that the NJ Transit Authority acted stupidly? Will he invite them all over for a beer?

The ACLU sure comes in handy for the religious right nutjobs who hate them.

Where's the Religious Right ACLJ?

Maybe they didn't get involved because no fetuses where aborted.

As for the guy, shame he lost his job.

Dumb move for the company too. They'll face a lawsuit and the ACLU will probably get a good settlement.

And like a poster said above me this guys getting so much media attention he'll have his own radio show and a 1800 call in number before the end of the month.

Pffft... he doesn't need them anyway.

What's really scary is that 53% of the people who answered the poll think they had a right to fire him for burning the Koran. I'll bet you that had he been burning the Bible, no one would have done ANYTHING and he'd still have his job.

What's really scary is that 53% of the people who answered the poll think they had a right to fire him for burning the Koran. I'll bet you that had he been burning the Bible, no one would have done ANYTHING and he'd still have his job.

Sadly, that is more then likely true. Unless he worked for Chick-fil-a.:lol:

But nobody should be fired for expressing themselves in a free speech nation.

Fear and intimidation is no excuse.

Lawsuit Hell. Unless of course there is something in his job description that suggests that Koran burning is a part of his daily routine? Your civil rights are limited while on the job.

Lawsuit Hell. Unless of course there is something in his job description that suggests that Koran burning is a part of his daily routine? Your civil rights are limited while on the job.

He was not on duty when he burned the book. What he does on his own time is none of his employers business.

Regardless how other view this act of burning A book, it doesn't make any difference if it's a 'holy book' or any other type, it still falls under freedom of speech, and the company has punished him for excercising his rights given by the constitution and they will lose in a court of law.

Was it offensive? YES. Was it legal? YES. Another DOUBLE STANDARD, where the American citizens get screwed. How is it that the Imam in NYC can do what is offensive to many, such as trying to build this 'center' close to ground zero and our laws, our president, our congress and Senate, yada yada, stand up for HIM? Where are they now standing up for this guy, which suggests many other questions.

Anyone tired of this double standard BS yet?

He had every right to burn the Koran and the state has every right to fire him for conduct that could be construed to intimidate the public they serve.

Somebody needs to go Archiving and find some Bush (43) Protests by the Left and find some Transit Employees there burning things... Like images of the President and the Flag...

I bet the ACLU will.

:)

peace...

He had every right to burn the Koran and the state has every right to fire him for conduct that could be construed to intimidate the public they serve.

So all the people on the street knew he was a public employee?

I highly doubt that. And what's so intimidating about a few pieces of paper being set on fire?

What anyone chooses to do on their own time is nobody's business and certainly not the business of an employer.

Forum List

Back