Man Sue's for getting stuck next to two fat slobs..

Airlines have charged for two seats when a passenger is too obese for one. They have been sued and the obese persons demand their rights to be treated like everyone else. But hey, if you weight as much as two you should have to pay as much as two. Maybe charging by the pound is the way to go. Then skinny people could fly cheap.

Now you got me thinking. I don't want to work this hard. 777 weight specs below.

upload_2017-5-7_10-45-32.png

200lb avg person........X 500 persons = 100,000 lbs + luggage at 100 lbs each = 150,000lbs extra weight before take off. (The Boeing 777 is a family of long-range wide-body twin-engine jet airliners developed and manufactured by Boeing Commercial Airplanes. It is the world's largest twinjet and has a typical seating capacity of 314 to 396 passengers,). OK so you can't fly 500 persons. I did worst case analysis.

The fuel full-up weighs ~300,000 lbs? The plane can only handle about 500,000 lbs total.

Yes indeed, persons weight can add up it seems? Does not seem to be much room for error?

Good for him American should pay him two million dollars

Man Sues American Airlines After Sitting Next to ‘Grossly Obese’ Passengers

An Australian man is suing American Airlines for $100,000 after being forced to sit next to two “grossly obese” passengers on a 14-hour flight from Sydney to LA, alleging that he suffered “bodily injuries”.

Michael Anthony Taylor claims that the airline would not switch his seats during his flight to LA in December f 2015, forcing him to sit in a row with two obese neighbors. He claims that he spent an entire flight contorting his body, which aggravated his back problem and made his scoliosis worse.

According to the court documents, Taylor says that the bodies of the passengers next to him “spilt over and encroached” into his seat and had to “stand up, crouch, kneel, and lean forward” during his 14 hour flight. He says he has since suffered back injuries, neck pain and an ongoing discomfort. He is suing American Airlines for his seating situation and is seeking $100,000 in damages.
Obese passengers could have caused plane crash | Daily Mail Online
A puddle jumper....and they don't even know for sure.......:lol:

Too many Americans are fat. The seats are too small.
Sure, let's all pay more to accommodate fat people. There still is a norm, most people don't spill over into the next seat.

how about another ROSIE-BRAINSTORM-----the airlines can have a few
"extra large" seats used with necessary (it might be better if they do not
seek an extra fee for it ......???)

Sure, let's all pay more to accommodate fat people. There still is a norm, most people don't spill over into the next seat.

Strap them on pallets, haul them into Cargo (in secret). They put dogs down there in cages. Why not? Can't have the "shame" of being forced into the FATBOY seat........the lawyers would eat that up too. there is no easy answers in America when everyones' goal is to use "the system" to score a payday. Lawyers Lawyers and more.......Lawyers. Everyone is "entitled to millions" because.........the coffee was too hot.

As long as they are not from Kenya and they shower.

If airlines are allowed to charge to accomodate the obese, next thing you know they'll be shrinking seat width until slighty larger than average people will be hitting the threshold.

The fact that most people cant fit their legs comfortably into a coach seat is bad enough. Hell, my shoulders are probably as wide/touch wider than the seat. At 6' 2" the person in front of me generally bitches when i adjust my legs (cramping and legs falling asleep) throughout the flight. Forget reclining their seat lol. Hell, my wife's legs dont really fit and she's 5 9. Not to the extent it impacts the person in front, but uncomfortable for her.

The airlines should not be aiming to comfortably carry average sized americans (iirc avg male height in the US is 5 10 or so) but a staggering majority of americans. At some point a line needs to he drawn, but more people need to be atleast borderline comfortable in a normal seat.

seems to me that the airline should have WAYS TO DEAL with such problems----
like some sort of built in extra seating contraptions somewhere on the plane
They do. They're called extra seats.

If your ass doesn't fit in a seat you need to buy two.

Well the problem with that is, unless they can sit "between them" it doesn't do any good. They would have to buy 3.

If airlines are allowed to charge to accomodate the obese, next thing you know they'll be shrinking seat width until slighty larger than average people will be hitting the threshold.

The fact that most people cant fit their legs comfortably into a coach seat is bad enough. Hell, my shoulders are probably as wide/touch wider than the seat. At 6' 2" the person in front of me generally bitches when i adjust my legs (cramping and legs falling asleep) throughout the flight. Forget reclining their seat lol. Hell, my wife's legs dont really fit and she's 5 9. Not to the extent it impacts the person in front, but uncomfortable for her.

The airlines should not be aiming to comfortably carry average sized americans (iirc avg male height in the US is 5 10 or so) but a staggering majority of americans. At some point a line needs to he drawn, but more people need to be atleast borderline comfortable in a normal seat.

I agree it is rough. I am tall. International flights are so long and so miserable.........I almost want to die. The Asians are "recliners" as soon as they can, right onto my kneecaps. I ask the stewardess (hotter than smoke!) to make them sit up at least for the three meals. I begged the DR for some Clonezamapham to get to Seoul. I stood up a lot, hours at a time in the bathroom areas. I was stuck in middle seat of 5-row almost every time. Living hell. Big loud roar for 12 hours. Stopover...........6 more hours. I see many with headphones........(noise cancelers, not me). I am a bad traveler. 33 hours door to door one way to Malaysia. I wanted to cry.

Domestic is even more cramped but sometimes only a few hours. They don't give the bulkhead to the TALL. The savvy online traveler eats up all the good seats right away. I don't fight it. Last on....anywhere is fine., last off. I simply don't fit. But it is cheap. How much do you want to pay to go from Dallas to PHX? What are your choices? drive? Amtrack?

Biggest pet peeve. People shoving big 100lb bags into overhead and I end up with nothing but between feet. Everyone can be rude and selfish. Domestic........I don't give a damn. I don't like paying $25 for one check bag.

seems to me that the airline should have WAYS TO DEAL with such problems----
like some sort of built in extra seating contraptions somewhere on the plane
They do. They're called extra seats.

If your ass doesn't fit in a seat you need to buy two.

Well the problem with that is, unless they can sit "between them" it doesn't do any good. They would have to buy 3.

I mean extra seating for the RESCUE of a victim

No, the seats really are too small...and they have gotten SMALLER. My mother fits in a seat. My stepfather does not...he is a "towering" 5'7". One of his coworkers had to be carried off a plane after a long flight-at 6'7", he had been crammed into a seat for most of 4 hours, totally unable to move his legs.

No, the seats really are too small...and they have gotten SMALLER. My mother fits in a seat. My stepfather does not...he is a "towering" 5'7". One of his coworkers had to be carried off a plane after a long flight-at 6'7", he had been crammed into a seat for most of 4 hours, totally unable to move his legs.

I am small-------got leg cramps the last time I was in a plane------pain so intense that were I not a really shy pathetic case I WOULD HAVE SCREAMED

He was beyond that...he had no muscle control and no feeling in his legs, totally numb. He upgraded to first class (on his own dime, almost $1000) for the return flight.

I work with a dude who probably COULDN'T get into a coach seat-including an exit-row seat-under any circumstances. He's not fat, just HUGE...6'8", 370lbs, 39" inseam, about 4' at the shoulders, and 18EEEE boots. I'm not even sure he could use a first class seat.

I'm long legged and 6'. I haven't flown for maybe 8 years but it wasn't that bad. Cramped, yes. But I would rather pay less and fly cramped. Your step dad never flew before?

He was beyond that...he had no muscle control and no feeling in his legs, totally numb. He upgraded to first class (on his own dime, almost $1000) for the return flight.

I work with a dude who probably COULDN'T get into a coach seat-including an exit-row seat-under any circumstances. He's not fat, just HUGE...6'8", 370lbs, 39" inseam, about 4' at the shoulders, and 18EEEE boots. I'm not even sure he could use a first class seat.
Sure, they make NFL player take the bus.

Some of you act like flying comfortably is a right. They will do what they do as long as they can. Americans want it all, they want it now and they want it cheap.

And thus why I typically opt to buy a full row, rather than first class. Although from the sound of it these days the bastard airliners could commandeer my extra seats with the threat of bodily harm...

Good for him American should pay him two million dollars

Man Sues American Airlines After Sitting Next to ‘Grossly Obese’ Passengers

An Australian man is suing American Airlines for $100,000 after being forced to sit next to two “grossly obese” passengers on a 14-hour flight from Sydney to LA, alleging that he suffered “bodily injuries”.

Michael Anthony Taylor claims that the airline would not switch his seats during his flight to LA in December f 2015, forcing him to sit in a row with two obese neighbors. He claims that he spent an entire flight contorting his body, which aggravated his back problem and made his scoliosis worse.

According to the court documents, Taylor says that the bodies of the passengers next to him “spilt over and encroached” into his seat and had to “stand up, crouch, kneel, and lean forward” during his 14 hour flight. He says he has since suffered back injuries, neck pain and an ongoing discomfort. He is suing American Airlines for his seating situation and is seeking $100,000 in damages.

The morbidly obese people should had been forced to buy multiple seats. The rest of us shouldn't have to suffer because of them.

I once had an obese black man kicked out of his exit row seat.

I was in my aisle seat and saw him waddling down the aisle towards me. He was huffing and puffing and sweating profusely and finally made it to and plopped down, and I mean plopped, into his seat two in front of me. He sat there and from the sound of his breathing seemed completely exhausted, which alarmed me a bit. What if we have an emergency and have to evacuate the plane? I thought. So, I mentioned my concern about him and why to a flight attendant. She in turn huddled for a minute or two with another attendant, and then approached and told him for safety reasons they'd have to find him a different seat. He didn't like it but finally got up and labored his way up the aisle to his new one.

Today, he could probably raise hell about it and end up with a nice payout from the airlines over it.

How about making passengers fit through a screening device, like for oversized luggage? If they don't fit, they pay extra.

I'm long legged and 6'. I haven't flown for maybe 8 years but it wasn't that bad. Cramped, yes. But I would rather pay less and fly cramped. Your step dad never flew before?
Reread my post until you understand it.

Forum List

Back