Man given life iin prison for DUI

That's true and that's not what happened in this case.

Of course it is. Why is it that a person who actually murders someone gets out of jail and a guy who never did gets put in for life?

If you're convicted of murder in Texas and given a life sentence you are still eligible for parole unless otherwise noted. This DUI case isn't any different, he will be eligible for parol in about 15 years.

Are you citing any particular murder case where the murderer was let out of jail or are you simply guessing?

According to several articles I've read he will be eligible for parole in 5 years (with good behavior.)

Then sentence him to 5 or ten and don't call it a life sentence.

If they gave him 5 he would be out in 2.

the idiocy of sentencing.

It is frustrating to see how quickly many will be out. But there is a reason for it, as I am sure you understand. Prison authorities are interested in keeping as much order in prison as possible. Riots are not good things. The way to do that is to offer prisoners less time on a sentence in return for being of good conduct. In California, state prison sentences in most types of sentences, are cut in half IF the inmate is of good conduct during his "stay" in prison.

Many people are unaware that doing half time, or significantly less time than the full sentence, does not come automatically. Prisoners have to EARN their good conduct credits. I personally know of several inmates (and I'm sure there are a lot more I don't know about) who had to serve their full time because of infractions while in custody.

If they gave him 5 he would be out in 2.

It is frustrating to see how quickly many will be out. But there is a reason for it, as I am sure you understand. Prison authorities are interested in keeping as much order in prison as possible. Riots are not good things. The way to do that is to offer prisoners less time on a sentence in return for being of good conduct. In California, state prison sentences in most types of sentences, are cut in half IF the inmate is of good conduct during his "stay" in prison.

Many people are unaware that doing half time, or significantly less time than the full sentence, does not come automatically. Prisoners have to EARN their good conduct credits. I personally know of several inmates (and I'm sure there are a lot more I don't know about) who had to serve their full time because of infractions while in custody.

If you want a person to serve 10 years than sentence him to ten years don't sentence him to life and dangle a carrot.

Of course it is. Why is it that a person who actually murders someone gets out of jail and a guy who never did gets put in for life?

If you're convicted of murder in Texas and given a life sentence you are still eligible for parole unless otherwise noted. This DUI case isn't any different, he will be eligible for parol in about 15 years.

Are you citing any particular murder case where the murderer was let out of jail or are you simply guessing?

According to several articles I've read he will be eligible for parole in 5 years (with good behavior.)

I've heard contradicting stories but if I understand Texas law right, he will be eligible for parole in 15 years. I was convicted of ag. assault w/intent and was sentenced to five years, I served almost 3 years before I had my first parole hearing.

Texas Government Code - Section 508.145. Eligibility For Release On Parole; Computation Of Parole Eligibility Date - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws

If you want a person to serve 10 years than sentence him to ten years don't sentence him to life and dangle a carrot.

So I guess you disagree with the concept of good conduct credits. OK - no point in discussing the issue further then.

You people are insane if you believe this penalty is just...absolutely insane.

The perp needs to go to lock up for some years. He needs therapy, and I hope if a therapist certifies "that he does not get it yet", a judge has the lee-way to put in a psychiatric lock up until he does.

The perp needs to go to lock up for some years. He needs therapy, and I hope if a therapist certifies "that he does not get it yet", a judge has the lee-way to put in a psychiatric lock up until he does.

What other life style choices do want to lock people up for?

Last edited:

Driving while intoxicated is a lifestyle choice?

Drunk driving statistics

Stop him from driving. If the guy wants to drink there is no need for psychiatric lock up.

Did you even read the post I responded to.

Put the guy in for drunk driving, fine. Just don't call it a life sentence. DUI when no one was injured or killed does not warrant a life sentence and forced psychiatric lock up for a guy who wants to drink is ridiculous.

Am watching this on FOX right now. Should have locked him up after third conviction.

Can you believe that idiot and his "why don't we just electrocute people for stealing candy bars" routine? Is it any wonder people are sick of hearing from liberals? They have to just make a mockery out of everything.

how the fuk do you equate an alcohol who druves drunk with liberals?

are you insane?

the guy could easily be a conservative who thinks "those god dam liberals aint gonna stop ME drom drinking and driving! it is my christian god given right to drink AND drive!"

he probably even had a bumper sticker on his car that read "I accelerate for liberals"

Did the guy kill anyone?

If not then a life sentence is cruel and unusual. You can't put a guy in jail for life because of what might happen.

So after being convicted ten times fro driving under the influence we should just let him keep on driving until he kills someone? That makes sense.:cuckoo:

The man has obviously shown no will to change his lifestyle and or his drinking habits.

you can't throw someone in jail for life because of what might happen.

No? But we do seem to invade countries, kill thousands and spend trillions based on what might happen.

Many would like to lock people up for a homo lifestyle.
We used to lokd up blacks or worse for fooling with white women. In my lifetime yet.

He doesn't need therapy he needs to stop driving while drunk. If he chooses not to do this he needs to be stopped from ever getting behind the wheel of a vehicle again.

Driving while intoxicated is a lifestyle choice?

Drunk driving statistics

Stop him from driving. If the guy wants to drink there is no need for psychiatric lock up.

Did you even read the post I responded to.

Put the guy in for drunk driving, fine. Just don't call it a life sentence. DUI when no one was injured or killed does not warrant a life sentence and forced psychiatric lock up for a guy who wants to drink is ridiculous.

Yes you responded tp that idiot jake. That still doesn't take away the fact that you think DWI is a lifestyle choice.

Do you think taking away his driver's license would stop him from driving under the influence? He was put in jail for drunk driving and given a life sentence as his punishment. You have to consider the mans history of drunk driving as well as his other convictions and you can't dismiss the fact that in his last DWI a person was injured. You would rather have this guy kill someone before drastic measures are taken. That's absurd. Do all you drunk driver's defend one another?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back