Man Charged For Protecting His Family

An example of federal government injustice:

Jeremy Hill of Idaho is facing a trial, after he shot and killed a grizzly bear that came into his yard.

Hill claims that he came into the yard where his children were playing to find three grizzly bears had entered the property. He shot one of the bears, killing it and scaring the others away.

Hill reported the incident to the state authorities, who did not express concern. But federal authorities have charged Hill with killing an endangered species.

The case has stoked passions has attracted many supporters, including Idaho's republican governor Butch Otter. If convicted, Hill could face a year in prison or a $50,000 fine.

Hill's trial is scheduled to begin on October 4th.
Jeremy Hill Bear Shooting: Man Could Face Jail Time For Killing Grizzly In His Yard (VIDEO)

I agree - injustice. After reading the article Ravi posted also, even more convinced. And I really love animals. Not in Peta or anything, lol, but just love them.

The state was ok with it, but the feds wanna throw him in jail and fine him. Waste of fed time, waste of fed money. Drugs, trafficking, most wanted, etc; I can see feds getting involved in and we've got enough of that to choke a horse, for them to spend their time on. But this incident and him calling the authorities himself - and protecting family? Unbelievable. I'll bet he's beating himself up for even calling.

I agree they shouldn't fine him or put him in jail. They should make him learn how to protect his family against future bears wandering into his property.

He already knows how,the trick is how to protect himself from the feds??!!

An example of federal government injustice:

Jeremy Hill of Idaho is facing a trial, after he shot and killed a grizzly bear that came into his yard.

Hill claims that he came into the yard where his children were playing to find three grizzly bears had entered the property. He shot one of the bears, killing it and scaring the others away.

Hill reported the incident to the state authorities, who did not express concern. But federal authorities have charged Hill with killing an endangered species.

The case has stoked passions has attracted many supporters, including Idaho's republican governor Butch Otter. If convicted, Hill could face a year in prison or a $50,000 fine.

Hill's trial is scheduled to begin on October 4th.
Jeremy Hill Bear Shooting: Man Could Face Jail Time For Killing Grizzly In His Yard (VIDEO)

I agree - injustice. After reading the article Ravi posted also, even more convinced. And I really love animals. Not in Peta or anything, lol, but just love them.

The state was ok with it, but the feds wanna throw him in jail and fine him. Waste of fed time, waste of fed money. Drugs, trafficking, most wanted, etc; I can see feds getting involved in and we've got enough of that to choke a horse, for them to spend their time on. But this incident and him calling the authorities himself - and protecting family? Unbelievable. I'll bet he's beating himself up for even calling.

I agree they shouldn't fine him or put him in jail. They should make him learn how to protect his family against future bears wandering into his property.

nyet... this is one of those situation where he should be given a free pass. Unless he was poaching, he didn't choose to bring the bears into the proximity of his family. Lacking in BFE skills or not, his first priority is to protect his family.

Immie, by scaring them off, I meant shoot the gun, but not at them, to try and scare them. Only if they didn't react to that would you shoot them.

He didn't shoot all three bears, so when you think about it, he didn't save his family from future bear visits by the other two.

If I were him I'd think about getting a couple of Karelian bear dogs to protect the kids. Or is he going to sit out there with his gun every minute the kids are outside from now on?

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Just wanted to point out a couple of errors that I had seen in the thread so far and comment on the issue. I may be wrong, but I think there is a difference between "brown bears" and Grizzlies and yes, I know Grizzlies are brown.

There were other people that talked of scaring the bears off and I have to say I got the mental picture of them puffing up their chests and stretching out their arms shouting, "shoo bear, shoo". :D

As for protecting his family and leaving the other two bears alive, I agree he didn't fully protect his family which is why I said I would not let my kids outside supervised or not. Those bears are nothing to play with.

As for the dogs, they would at least be good warnings when the bears did return.

Immie

Ok we can just say bear and leave it at that. or maybe big bear. Those same bears may never return,but like rabbits there are always others,a dog is good warning system.

That is okay and I didn't mean to make it sound like a big deal. To me there is a difference between Grizzly and brown bear but I can't say as I know a whole heck of a lot about bears. I get a mental picture of a Grizzly tearing people limb from limb while brown bears on the other hand give me a much more docile picture.

Immie

You can put an electric fence around your chained tight garbage cans,and bears will still check your place out,The locals were fine with his actions,they were at his place did the interviews,second guessing the guy and them is usless time wasting.

Couple of things about this discussion need to be cleared up.

1) I think the article said they were Grizzly Bears.

2) In reference to Ravi (I think) she said that the kids were inside. I thought the article said the kids were outside playing basketball.

------------------------

Now, about scaring these bears off, my understanding is that would have been a terribly dangerous thing for him to do. What do you think he is going to do stand up and throw rocks at them? They would be as likely to attack him as they would to run away. And even if he were lucky enough to get them to run, how long before they came back and attacked the kids? Knowing that those two bears are around, I would not allow my children to play outdoors with or without adult supervision.

Immie

According to the article I linked, the kids were called inside by their mother.

I watched the video and it said they were outside playing basketball. I don't think it said that she called them in, but regardless, since she more than likely did, mom definitely did the right thing in that case.

It is a tragedy that the bear was killed, but I don't think I would have done anything different than Mr. Hill.

Immie

Go back and read the first thread, he said it was a grizzly. There is a ton of difference between a brown bear and a grizzle. Those of you who weren't there but seem to know that he could have scared it off should stay out of the woods. You don't mess with a grizzly ever.

The Feds are idiots along with their commander in Chief

Were the threads merged?

Guess they were which was why I hadn't noticed that Ravi had provided a different source.

Immie

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Just wanted to point out a couple of errors that I had seen in the thread so far and comment on the issue. I may be wrong, but I think there is a difference between "brown bears" and Grizzlies and yes, I know Grizzlies are brown.

There were other people that talked of scaring the bears off and I have to say I got the mental picture of them puffing up their chests and stretching out their arms shouting, "shoo bear, shoo". :D

As for protecting his family and leaving the other two bears alive, I agree he didn't fully protect his family which is why I said I would not let my kids outside supervised or not. Those bears are nothing to play with.

As for the dogs, they would at least be good warnings when the bears did return.

Immie

Ok we can just say bear and leave it at that. or maybe big bear. Those same bears may never return,but like rabbits there are always others,a dog is good warning system.

That is okay and I didn't mean to make it sound like a big deal. To me there is a difference between Grizzly and brown bear but I can't say as I know a whole heck of a lot about bears. I get a mental picture of a Grizzly tearing people limb from limb while brown bears on the other hand give me a much more docile picture.

Immie

I was kinda joking anyways,any bear can are just as big and strong,only your teddy and Yogi are cuddly.

Couple of things about this discussion need to be cleared up.

1) I think the article said they were Grizzly Bears.

2) In reference to Ravi (I think) she said that the kids were inside. I thought the article said the kids were outside playing basketball.

------------------------

Now, about scaring these bears off, my understanding is that would have been a terribly dangerous thing for him to do. What do you think he is going to do stand up and throw rocks at them? They would be as likely to attack him as they would to run away. And even if he were lucky enough to get them to run, how long before they came back and attacked the kids? Knowing that those two bears are around, I would not allow my children to play outdoors with or without adult supervision.

Immie

I watched the video and it said they were outside playing basketball. I don't think it said that she called them in, but regardless, since she more than likely did, mom definitely did the right thing in that case.

It is a tragedy that the bear was killed, but I don't think I would have done anything different than Mr. Hill.

Immie
Except....he could follow some general guidelines and make an effort to keep bears off his property.

Bears in your backyard. What to do!

Immie
Except....he could follow some general guidelines and make an effort to keep bears off his property.

Except how would you ever know he doesn't already?

I don't know, I have mixed feeling about this. I have a feeling he didn't really have to shoot that bear. I have a feeling he could have made his kids go in the house, and then hazed the bears, scaring them off.

Because if the bears had actually tried to hurt his kids, they would have hurt his kids. They weren't trying to hurt anyone. They were just being curious, sound like.

I'm really thinking he could've just scared the bears off. The other two ran away when he fired his gun. He could have just fired his gun and all three would have run.

He's living in a bad spot if he has issues with grizzly bears! I got this from another article:

Hill and his wife have six children, and their home is between two federal grizzly bear recovery zones - the Selkirk zone to the west and Cabinet-Yaak zone to the east.

Biologists estimate that 100 grizzlies inhabit the zones that include parts of Idaho, British Columbia and Montana.

Read more: Outrage as man is charged with shooting endangered grizzly bear after it threatened his children | Mail Online

How would you just scare a bear away?:confused:

Top 10 ways to scare a Grizzly away or get him away without hurting him:

10. If you are cooking on the grill, thow some cheeseburgers past him
9. Quick go grab a jar of opened peanut butter and whip it past him
8. Flip off your shoe and toss it at his head
7. Look him in the eye and growl at him fiercly
6. Charge at him very fast and yell loudly - "get off my property!!!"
5. Walk over to him with a handful of peanut M&M's and ask him to leave politey
4. Take out the hose and spray water on him
3. Put on Nike's cause of course you know you can outrun him
2. Grab a can of hairspray, spray, and light it with a lighter and chase after him
1. Puff up your chest, wave your arms and yell, "Shoo, bear! Shoo!!" (lol, Immie)

Immie

Except how would you ever know he doesn't already?

His pig pen wasn't secure.

I don't know, I have mixed feeling about this. I have a feeling he didn't really have to shoot that bear. I have a feeling he could have made his kids go in the house, and then hazed the bears, scaring them off.

Because if the bears had actually tried to hurt his kids, they would have hurt his kids. They weren't trying to hurt anyone. They were just being curious, sound like.

I'm really thinking he could've just scared the bears off. The other two ran away when he fired his gun. He could have just fired his gun and all three would have run.

He's living in a bad spot if he has issues with grizzly bears! I got this from another article:

Read more: Outrage as man is charged with shooting endangered grizzly bear after it threatened his children | Mail Online

2. Grab a can of hairspray, spray, and light it with a lighter and chase after him
1. Puff up your chest, wave your arms and yell, "Shoo, bear! Shoo!!" (lol, Immie)

hahahaha....those are tried and true methods.

I imagine the feds understand it, too. In every national park I've been in they warn you to not feed the bears/alligators.

The guy should make an effort to not make his home attractive to bears. Or move. Or kill all the bears.

Most of the time bears stay away from where people reside....every once in awhile they stray on to the property....that is when they become desensitized to humans and become a problem.
I have a lot of friends up here that live in the bush....50-100 acres that they live on. They deal with the wildlife all the time....just not a grizzly.

I understand that. Obviously, this guy is doing something wrong that they are foraging on his property looking for food.

Yeah, the nerve of him to keep pigs. :doubt:

How to Escape from a Bear - wikiHow
Stand tall, even if the bear charges you. If the bear sees you and is closer than 300 feet, or if the bear is approaching you, remain calm and try to look as large as possible. Stand your ground and try not to look frightened. Try to back away slowly—do not run—and speak softly. If the bear continues to approach as you back away, stop and stand your ground. Speak more loudly in a deep, calm voice, and wave you arms to make yourself look bigger. Keep an eye on the bear, but avoid direct eye contact, this can be interpreted as a challenge by the bear. Do not be aggressive, but do not crouch down, play dead or otherwise show fear or vulnerability. If the bear charges you, muster all your courage and stay where you are: the charge is most likely a bluff, and if you stand your ground the bear will turn away.

LOL, wow, all joking aside, it looks like the waving the arms thing is something we should do! lol

Hill did what any of us would've done had we found ourselves in that situation. Humans are instinctive when confronted by a large potential threat, and will act accordingly. Anyone can claim on this thread that they would've tried to scare away the bears, but deep-down we all know that if we had an effective weapon to hand to counter the threat, then the bear would be toast. And there are only so many measures one can take to prevent wildlife from encroaching onto your property. A determined or desperate animal will find a way to gain access to much-needed food/sustinance, and complacency in the form of passive measures will only guarantee a return visit.

Anyway, on a side note...

The famous Roman gladiator, Renius, voluntarily fought and prevailed against three unchained Caledonian bears in the Colusseum with just his Gladius and wit. Tacitus says that he killed one, but was knocked to the ground by another. They then charged him but he plunged his short sword into one's neck, then spun round and deeply wounded the other across the face. The crowd roared as a he took his time finishing it off before the baying mob. Now I don't care who you are, but that must've been some straight-up gangsta shit to pull off, let alone witness.

How to Escape from a Bear - wikiHow
Stand tall, even if the bear charges you. If the bear sees you and is closer than 300 feet, or if the bear is approaching you, remain calm and try to look as large as possible. Stand your ground and try not to look frightened. Try to back away slowly—do not run—and speak softly. If the bear continues to approach as you back away, stop and stand your ground. Speak more loudly in a deep, calm voice, and wave you arms to make yourself look bigger. Keep an eye on the bear, but avoid direct eye contact, this can be interpreted as a challenge by the bear. Do not be aggressive, but do not crouch down, play dead or otherwise show fear or vulnerability. If the bear charges you, muster all your courage and stay where you are: the charge is most likely a bluff, and if you stand your ground the bear will turn away.

LOL, wow, all joking aside, it looks like the waving the arms thing is something we should do! lol

I have heard that before, but to be honest with you, putting that into action would be difficult to do and with my kids in the area almost impossible.

Immie

Hill and his wife have six children, and their home is between two federal grizzly bear recovery zones - the Selkirk zone to the west and Cabinet-Yaak zone to the east.

Biologists estimate that 100 grizzlies inhabit the zones that include parts of Idaho, British Columbia and Montana.

ranger.gif

Forum List

Back