Man Charged For Protecting His Family

Meister

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 15, 2009
Conservative part of the Northwest
An example of federal government injustice:

Jeremy Hill of Idaho is facing a trial, after he shot and killed a grizzly bear that came into his yard.

Hill claims that he came into the yard where his children were playing to find three grizzly bears had entered the property. He shot one of the bears, killing it and scaring the others away.

Hill reported the incident to the state authorities, who did not express concern. But federal authorities have charged Hill with killing an endangered species.

The case has stoked passions has attracted many supporters, including Idaho's republican governor Butch Otter. If convicted, Hill could face a year in prison or a $50,000 fine.

Hill's trial is scheduled to begin on October 4th.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/25/jeremy-hill-grizzly-bear-shooting_n_936369.html

I don't know, I have mixed feeling about this. I have a feeling he didn't really have to shoot that bear. I have a feeling he could have made his kids go in the house, and then hazed the bears, scaring them off.

Because if the bears had actually tried to hurt his kids, they would have hurt his kids. They weren't trying to hurt anyone. They were just being curious, sound like.

I'm really thinking he could've just scared the bears off. The other two ran away when he fired his gun. He could have just fired his gun and all three would have run.

He's living in a bad spot if he has issues with grizzly bears! I got this from another article:

Hill and his wife have six children, and their home is between two federal grizzly bear recovery zones - the Selkirk zone to the west and Cabinet-Yaak zone to the east.

Biologists estimate that 100 grizzlies inhabit the zones that include parts of Idaho, British Columbia and Montana.

Read more: Outrage as man is charged with shooting endangered grizzly bear after it threatened his children | Mail Online

Last edited:
You can think anything you like.

As far as I'm concerned it's his word against the word of a dead bear and any other witnessess.

My vote: Not guilty.

I don't know, I have mixed feeling about this. I have a feeling he didn't really have to shoot that bear. I have a feeling he could have made his kids go in the house, and then hazed the bears, scaring them off.

Because if the bears had actually tried to hurt his kids, they would have hurt his kids. They weren't trying to hurt anyone.

I'm really thinking he could've just scared the bears off. The other two ran away when he fired his gun. He could have just fired his gun and all three would have run.

I'm thinking he just wanted to be big macho man. And he's living in a bad spot if he has issues with grizzly bears!

Just scare off a brown bear??!!,ya works every time at leat for the other two anyway and know one knows what a bear will do at any given time. The house is of no protection from a brown bear.

Because if the bears had actually tried to hurt his kids, they would have hurt his kids. They weren't trying to hurt anyone.

now you sound like that guy that thought they were freindly and him and his girlfriend were lunch. What ever his name was he was really ignorant about bears.

I am the first one to defend a person's right to protect themselves and their family against marauding wildlife. But I don't think these bears were aggressive, and could easily have been scared off.

Reminds me of a guy in my neighborhood who shot a neighbor's dog who came into his yard. Used the excuse that a two-year old was present and the dog was menacing. He's full of bull. He just wanted to shoot that dog and he knew because it was a pitbull everyone would be on his side. He was a weenie. I could have taken care of that dog without shooting it. He just wanted to do it.

Last edited:
This is a no brainer....if the bears become familiar with the house and the scent of garbage, or food....they will come back and become a nuisance. The state authorites understand this kind of existance between people and wildlife....the feds, not so much.

I am the first one to defend a person's right to protect themselves and their family against marauding wildlife. But I don't think these bears were aggressive, and could easily have been scared off.

Reminds me of a guy in my neighborhood who shot a neighbor's dog who came into his yard. Used the excuse that a two-year old was present and the dog was menacing. He's full of bull. He just wanted to shoot that dog and he knew because it was a pitbull everyone would be on his side.

Again, you can think whatever you like about these bears and your neighborhood pitbull. Unless you were there it's nothing more than idle speculation. And I for one am glad we have a justice system that ignores such idle speculation.

This is a no brainer....if the bears become familiar with the house and the scent of garbage, or food....they will come back and become a nuisance. The state authorites understand this kind of existance between people and wildlife....the feds, not so much.

I imagine the feds understand it, too. In every national park I've been in they warn you to not feed the bears/alligators.

The guy should make an effort to not make his home attractive to bears. Or move. Or kill all the bears.

I imagine the feds understand it, too. In every national park I've been in they warn you to not feed the bears/alligators.

The guy should make an effort to not make his home attractive to bears. Or move. Or kill all the bears.

Most of the time bears stay away from where people reside....every once in awhile they stray on to the property....that is when they become desensitized to humans and become a problem.
I have a lot of friends up here that live in the bush....50-100 acres that they live on. They deal with the wildlife all the time....just not a grizzly.

I'm thinking he just wanted to be big macho man. And he's living in a bad spot if he has issues with grizzly bears!

Just scare off a brown bear??!!,ya works every time at leat for the other two anyway and know one knows what a bear will do at any given time. The house is of no protection from a brown bear.

now you sound like that guy that thought they were freindly and him and his girlfriend were lunch. What ever his name was he was really ignorant about bears.

The house is of no protection from a brown bear???? What do you think they are, furry Godzillas?

Yeah, a brown bear can get into your house if it really wants to, but you'd certainly have time to shoot it if it was trying to get in and wouldn't scare off.

You're referring to Timothy Treadwell, and no, I'm nothing like him. He was so stupid as to go into bear country without a gun (like a lot of granola-crunching hikers I hear about). I would never go where bears might be without a gun. But I'm also not going to shoot them just for being present. I'm only going to shoot them if they show aggression.

Reminds me of a guy in my neighborhood who shot a neighbor's dog who came into his yard. Used the excuse that a two-year old was present and the dog was menacing. He's full of bull. He just wanted to shoot that dog and he knew because it was a pitbull everyone would be on his side. He was a weenie. I could have taken care of that dog without shooting it. He just wanted to do it.

3 brown bears..................pit bull LOL sorry but that kinda funny.Brown bears are big strong cantankerous BEASTS you or anyone else would have NO idea what they may or my not do. you make the wrong ill advised ,like thinking they are friendly, choice your lunch.

The house is of no protection from a brown bear???? What do you think they are, furry Godzillas?

Yeah, a brown bear can get into your house if it really wants to, but you'd certainly have time to shoot it if it was trying to get in and wouldn't scare off.

You're referring to Timothy Treadwell, and no, I'm nothing like him. He was so stupid as to go into bear country without a gun (like a lot of granola-crunching hikers I hear about). I would never go where bears might be without a gun. But I'm also not going to shoot them just for being present. I'm only going to shoot them if they show aggression.

Are you talking about a 250-400 pound brown, or are you talking about a 600-800 pound griz?

Reminds me of a guy in my neighborhood who shot a neighbor's dog who came into his yard. Used the excuse that a two-year old was present and the dog was menacing. He's full of bull. He just wanted to shoot that dog and he knew because it was a pitbull everyone would be on his side.

Again, you can think whatever you like about these bears and your neighborhood pitbull. Unless you were there it's nothing more than idle speculation. And I for one am glad we have a justice system that ignores such idle speculation.

Well, excuse me all to hell, but I thought this was a discussion forum.

`

Couple of things about this discussion need to be cleared up.

1) I think the article said they were Grizzly Bears.

2) In reference to Ravi (I think) she said that the kids were inside. I thought the article said the kids were outside playing basketball.

------------------------

Now, about scaring these bears off, my understanding is that would have been a terribly dangerous thing for him to do. What do you think he is going to do stand up and throw rocks at them? They would be as likely to attack him as they would to run away. And even if he were lucky enough to get them to run, how long before they came back and attacked the kids? Knowing that those two bears are around, I would not allow my children to play outdoors with or without adult supervision.

Immie

Anyone who lives in bear country... we do... knows to secure garbage, and not to put out deer feeders, etc. I'm sure this guy knows that as well, since he's surrounded by a huge bear population.

All bears are not the same. The average black bear can usually be frightened away by loud noises, or rubber bullets... unless it's a female protecting cubs. Grizzlies (also called Brown Bears), not so much. They are one of the most aggressive species of bears, and quite likely to attack humans unprovoked. They are incredibly dangerous bears.

I'm amazed and a bit disgusted that the man is being charged with this. There is clearly no evidence of poaching, since he called authorities and there was no evidence that bear-parts coveted by poachers had been removed. I don't know what's going on here, but it seems unjust to me.

Forum List

Back