Man arrested outside Asheville airport as Obama leaves

So a guy goes to the airport with a police scanner, police lights in his car, a weapon and a desire to see Obama and the rightwingloons think the cops should look the other way.

Amazing.

Unfortunate last name.

That's what I thought. Clearly, the McVeigh/MVey clan are a dangerous bunch who need to be rounded up and sent for re-education.
This one did not get mistreated. I'm quite sure that anyone that shows up at the airport in a car outfitted like a cop car to see Obama, or any president, should be under scrutiny.

Sad that not everyone agrees.

they didn't notice that until after they searched him and the car

its humorous to see the difference in defending the right of the state to search this guy merely for having out of state plates, yet the same people cry foul if an officer has reasonable suspicion to check someone's residency status....

if the officers here had reasonable suspicion, then i have no problem with this search based on the facts so far

So a guy goes to the airport with a police scanner, police lights in his car, a weapon and a desire to see Obama and the rightwingloons think the cops should look the other way.

Amazing.

again, they didn't see that or suspect that until after they searched him and the vehicle

:rolleyes:

They saw that he had a gun at the airport. You can be searched for no reason at all at the airport...remember, you guys gave up our rights at airports back when you were peeing your pants over being jumped by terrorists.

Now when it's a guy you sympathize with you cry like babies.

Tough.

They saw that he had a gun at the airport. You can be searched for no reason at all at the airport...remember, you guys gave up our rights at airports back when you were peeing your pants over being jumped by terrorists.

Tough.

The only issue I have with your statement was that they did not, as far as I can tell, see a gun before they searched his car.

As I said earlier, I believe there was something he was doing that set off those alarm bells. I suspect that they had probable cause and I am glad they did search him and interrupt any plans he might have had, but I don't think the gun played a part in their initial reasons for detaining him.

Immie

Tough.

The only issue I have with your statement was that they did not, as far as I can tell, see a gun before they searched his car.

As I said earlier, I believe there was something he was doing that set off those alarm bells. I suspect that they had probable cause and I am glad they did search him and interrupt any plans he might have had, but I don't think the gun played a part in their initial reasons for detaining him.

Immie
He was in the parking lot with a gun.

Tough.

Immie

But from what I read they didn't know he had a gun when they approached him.

Immie

Tough.

not true accordign to the OP

don't let the truth hurt you too much ravi...

Police began questioning McVey after noticing his car's Ohio license plate and other equipment, including a digital camera on the dashboard and four large antennas on the trunk lid, according to the case summary.
McVey got out of the car and started talking on a handheld radio attached to a remote earpiece, and the officer noticed he was wearing a sidearm.

as i rightly said....they didn't notice the other items until after they searched him and the car...

Police began questioning McVey after noticing his car's Ohio license plate and other equipment, including a digital camera on the dashboard and four large antennas on the trunk lid, according to the case summary.
McVey got out of the car and started talking on a handheld radio attached to a remote earpiece, and the officer noticed he was wearing a sidearm. The officer and Secret Service agents asked for McVey's identification, and when they ran his driver's license number through a computer, it did not come back as valid, according to the summary.
When the officer asked what he was doing, McVey stated “he heard the president was in town. He stated he wanted to see the president,” according to the summary.
Officers removed McVey's Springfield XD 40 handgun and detained him.
While searching his Pontiac Grand Prix, investigators heard police department radio traffic, “indicating he was monitoring our frequency when he arrived.” Officers also found a siren box under his steering wheel, several pieces of paper with agency radio frequencies written on them and a sticky note in the cup holder with rifle scope formulas on them, according to the case summary.

Armed man arrested outside Asheville airport as Obama leaves | citizen-times.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

Sounds like another disgruntled rust belt Obama voter.

if the officers here had reasonable suspicion, then i have no problem with this search based on the facts so far

Nor do I. But an out of state license plate and a radio seems pretty dang weak for reasonable suspicion.

violence against anyone for political purposes it WRONG

Unless you're a conservative against Obama.

Funny since no one on the right has gotten violent or advocated for violence then isn't it?

You must be joking.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=8324481&page=1

Experts who track hate groups across the U.S. are growing increasingly concerned over violent rhetoric targeted at President Obama, especially as the debate over health care intensifies and a pattern of threats emerges.

Contentious health care debate heightens concerns for Obama's safety.The Secret Service is investigating a Maryland man who held a sign reading "Death to Obama" and "Death to Michelle and her two stupid kids" outside a town hall meeting this week. And in New Hampshire, another man stood across the street from a Presidential town hall with his gun on full display.

Last edited:

Immie

Immie
According to the OP.

McVey got out of the car and started talking on a handheld radio attached to a remote earpiece, and the officer noticed he was wearing a sidearm.

Standing outside the car wearing a sidearm. One can be searched at the airport for looking cross eyed at the cops. Not my doing...these are the new post 9/11 rules that y'all are so thrilled with. Cry me a river.

Immie
According to the OP.

Standing outside the car wearing a sidearm. One can be searched at the airport for looking cross eyed at the cops. Not my doing...these are the new post 9/11 rules that y'all are so thrilled with. Cry me a river.

This may be a snap judgment but this guy looks like another lone assassin. Perhaps he's got issues like that Hinkley kid.

Nor do I. But an out of state license plate and a radio seems pretty dang weak for reasonable suspicion.

Would you find it reasonable if the police had noticed him "staking out" the airport?

I mean if I see this dude at the end of a runway, clearly watching planes come and go and quite possibly the President's plane then I am going to be suspicious. If I notice him communicating on a radio as well, then I'm going to at least find out what he is doing.

Like I said earlier, something set off the alarm bells about this guy. It does not appear to me that this was a random stop. They saw something about this guy that caused them to approach him. If you ask me, based on what I have read from the story, their "hunch" may very well have been right.

Immie

I think this whole case is a mistake.

I dont think the guy was planning any harm from my reading.

He was detained by a reasonable doubt but likely wont be charged for anything from what Ive read

Forum List

Back