Mamet on Becoming a Conservative

It's human nature for humans to organize together and create a system of laws to deal with those aspects of human nature that are most harmful to the general welfare, common defense, and domestic tranquility.
So how'd that work out for the Soviet Union? How's it working out for the leftist paradises of North Korea, Cuba, China? Have they dealt with "those aspects of human nature that are most harmful to the general welfare, common defense, and domestic tranquility"?

I repeat: Progressivism is doomed to failure.

You're rejecting the concept of humans organizing under systems of laws?

lol
Not at all, and there's no way an intelligent human being could have construed what I said to have meant that.

I'm telling you that progressivism, as represented by the countries I listed, has been an utter failure. History shows this. At least, it shows this to those who aren't willfully blind.

Most Liberals tend to be snotty sarcastic High School Drop-Out types. You would think they would grow out of that stuff eventually but many just don't. Most are just petulant annoying children in the end. They will never grow up. Just look at most of these Obama-supporters. They're certainly no geniuses. It's actually very sad.

You obviously do not know many liberals.

Most Liberals tend to be snotty sarcastic High School Drop-Out types. You would think they would grow out of that stuff eventually but many just don't. Most are just petulant annoying children in the end. They will never grow up. Just look at most of these Obama-supporters. They're certainly no geniuses. It's actually very sad.

Would be interested in seeing your post outlining what liberals are like, what they wish, and how their views compare with conservative's views.

Would be interested in seeing your post outlining what liberals are like, what they wish, and how their views compare with conservative's views.

Please allow mine as I feel online we go over the same things same things same things, imagine a child who never grows up. This is a repost.

Each person sees the world as they are not as it is, the liberal sees the world just a bit clearer. I have written on this topic lots because being a conservative for me is simply abhorrent. Nothing in me would use the label, and yet in some ways I am more conservative than conservatives, a paradox. Back to the label: I am never sure what it is they want to conserve? Often it is privilege or just simply a view of life that applies only in a bubble. Life is just too complicated for conservatives, and it is why there is no conservative nation nor defined principles. Kirk tried. There are just reactionary people, sometimes of good will, who find life too complex and thus stand still and/or must point to others as the cause of all that they see as wrong or uncomfortable. I've asked a hundred times for conservative accomplishments that assist all the people and get none. Standing still just doesn't work and historically is unworkable. Change is hard.

But back OT. There was a time I thought a good well reasoned argument could convince people of something I thought important. But as you get older you realize that thought is not rational. Reality is a mental construct and as such you may be incapable of the level of thought, tolerance, flexibility to be a liberal. It is like being religious or being close minded or being what we used to call sick in the head. Not everyone can face life as change, as growth, as movement, from here to there, not everyone can deal with something different than what they are used to. Liberalism is about a pragmatic approach to life, a living in the real world and not an imaginary world of tradition. It is one of the chief reasons liberalism is hard to defend or vague about its defense sometimes, it realizes it does not know what works, it only knows we cannot stand still as conservatives do. Bernard Williams calls it 'how we go on in the here and now.'

I have too much data on this topic. It could sink a ship but not convince a soul LOL.

"Liberals demand that the social order should in principle be capable of explaining itself at the tribunal of each person's understanding." Jeremy Waldron

So how'd that work out for the Soviet Union? How's it working out for the leftist paradises of North Korea, Cuba, China? Have they dealt with "those aspects of human nature that are most harmful to the general welfare, common defense, and domestic tranquility"?

I repeat: Progressivism is doomed to failure.

You're rejecting the concept of humans organizing under systems of laws?

lol
Not at all, and there's no way an intelligent human being could have construed what I said to have meant that.

I'm telling you that progressivism, as represented by the countries I listed, has been an utter failure. History shows this. At least, it shows this to those who aren't willfully blind.

North Korean communism bears no resemblance to European progressivism, or to the progressive aspects of the US for that matter.

Why did you list communist countries and try to pass them off as representative of progressive nations?

David Mamet:*The Secret Knowledge | Books | Book Review | The A.V. Club

If that review is accurate, it's devastating.

Mamet depicts the drama by reducing the two concepts to what he believes is their core, apparently learned from half a semester of high-school political science and a week of talk radio: The right practices logic and believes in individual freedom; the left is a cult which believes in the power of the government.

lol, Mamet appears to have morphed into the equivalent of a B-list internet forum wingnut, proudly sporting his newly acquired official dittohead starter kit.

Mamet depicts the drama by reducing the two concepts to what he believes is their core, apparently learned from half a semester of high-school political science and a week of talk radio: The right practices logic and believes in individual freedom; the left is a cult which believes in the power of the government.

lol, Mamet appears to have morphed into the equivalent of a B-list internet forum wingnut, proudly sporting his newly acquired official dittohead starter kit.

Since you like reviews....

"David Mamet made a stir in 2008 with his Village Voice essay, "Why I Am No Longer a Brain-Dead Liberal." This book is a fuller, wittier, and more scathing treatment of the same subject--a liberal screenwriter who has "seen the light."

Like other big media apostates, Andrew Breitbart, Tom Wolfe, John Stossel, Ben Stein, and Dennis Miller, Mamet realized the liberal assumptions that capitalism was evil and that Republicans were corporate lackeys had serious holes. When he began to investigate the logic behind free markets, he realized that it actually made sense. As Mamet puts it, modern liberalism is nothing more than a religion that its practitioners preach blindly on faith.

To examine the inanity of modern liberals, Mamet offers 39 entertaining essays that cover the gamut of modern living, including "Adventure Slumming," "Cabinet Spiritualism and the Car Czar," and, my favorite, "Oakton Manor and Camp Kawaga." Throughout the expose, Mamet makes use of his excellent perspective in the arts. With examples from his theater class, he shows exactly how absurd political correctness and the liberal agenda can be.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good story and wants to peer into the ultra-liberal New York/L.A. big media mindset."
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Secret Knowledge: On the Dismantling of American Culture

"David Mamet made a stir in 2008 with his Village Voice essay, "Why I Am No Longer a Brain-Dead Liberal." This book is a fuller, wittier, and more scathing treatment of the same subject--a liberal screenwriter who has "seen the light."

Like other big media apostates, Andrew Breitbart, Tom Wolfe, John Stossel, Ben Stein, and Dennis Miller, Mamet realized the liberal assumptions that capitalism was evil and that Republicans were corporate lackeys had serious holes. When he began to investigate the logic behind free markets, he realized that it actually made sense. As Mamet puts it, modern liberalism is nothing more than a religion that its practitioners preach blindly on faith.

To examine the inanity of modern liberals, Mamet offers 39 entertaining essays that cover the gamut of modern living, including "Adventure Slumming," "Cabinet Spiritualism and the Car Czar," and, my favorite, "Oakton Manor and Camp Kawaga." Throughout the expose, Mamet makes use of his excellent perspective in the arts. With examples from his theater class, he shows exactly how absurd political correctness and the liberal agenda can be.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good story and wants to peer into the ultra-liberal New York/L.A. big media mindset."
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Secret Knowledge: On the Dismantling of American Culture
Tom Wolfe supported Obama, has he switched since then?

Like other big media apostates, Andrew Breitbart, Tom Wolfe, John Stossel, Ben Stein, and Dennis Miller, Mamet realized the liberal assumptions that capitalism was evil and that Republicans were corporate lackeys had serious holes. When he began to investigate the logic behind free markets, he realized that it actually made sense. As Mamet puts it, modern liberalism is nothing more than a religion that its practitioners preach blindly on faith. To examine the inanity of modern liberals, Mamet offers 39 entertaining essays that cover the gamut of modern living, including "Adventure Slumming," "Cabinet Spiritualism and the Car Czar," and, my favorite, "Oakton Manor and Camp Kawaga." Throughout the expose, Mamet makes use of his excellent perspective in the arts. With examples from his theater class, he shows exactly how absurd political correctness and the liberal agenda can be.

That kind of comical mischaracterization of liberalism is exactly the sort of thing that makes Mamet look like he's a standard-issue product of rightwing talk radio.

just to be clear, I thanked you for this-

the rest is just the usual but you get 1 point for a slim moment of clarity.

I would like some evidence that Mamet has really become a conservative, and by that I mean,

a conservative who can pass all the various litmus tests that the 'pure' conservatives demand before they'll honor someone with the title.

For example, is Mamet now more conservative than John McCain? Can he claim that? Because if he isn't he in no way passes the modern test.

just to be clear, I thanked you for this-

the rest is just the usual but you get 1 point for a slim moment of clarity.

Ah, so I win keen-sense-of-the-obvious post of the week.:lol:

Like other big media apostates, Andrew Breitbart, Tom Wolfe, John Stossel, Ben Stein, and Dennis Miller, Mamet realized the liberal assumptions that capitalism was evil and that Republicans were corporate lackeys had serious holes. When he began to investigate the logic behind free markets, he realized that it actually made sense. As Mamet puts it, modern liberalism is nothing more than a religion that its practitioners preach blindly on faith. To examine the inanity of modern liberals, Mamet offers 39 entertaining essays that cover the gamut of modern living, including "Adventure Slumming," "Cabinet Spiritualism and the Car Czar," and, my favorite, "Oakton Manor and Camp Kawaga." Throughout the expose, Mamet makes use of his excellent perspective in the arts. With examples from his theater class, he shows exactly how absurd political correctness and the liberal agenda can be.

That kind of comical mischaracterization of liberalism is exactly the sort of thing that makes Mamet look like he's a standard-issue product of rightwing talk radio.

hung up on literary license? hummmm read the whole WS article...

maybe he is someone who has decided to stop drinking the kool aid long enough and use his eyes and ears and read.....without being afraid of what he might find.

I would like some evidence that Mamet has really become a conservative, and by that I mean,

a conservative who can pass all the various litmus tests that the 'pure' conservatives demand before they'll honor someone with the title.

For example, is Mamet now more conservative than John McCain? Can he claim that? Because if he isn't he in no way passes the modern test.

so, YOU demand purity? interesting...:lol:

maybe he is someone who has decided to stop drinking the kool aid long enough and use his eyes and ears and read.....without being afraid of what he might find.

I'm going with a rather more exotic theory (and it is arguable). He's Jewish, and has become angry with what he perceives to be a growing anti-Semitism on the Left. That's his gut-level motivation.

The rest is dress-up.

No. I am referencing the widespread conservative opinion that people like John McCain can't be called conservative.

You know, the kind of rightwing PC (political correctness, not politicalchic) whose counterpart on the left is, IRONICALLY,

what Mamet is objecting to.

I'm going with a rather more exotic theory (and it is arguable). He's Jewish, and has become angry with what he perceives to be a growing anti-Semitism on the Left. That's his gut-level motivation.

The rest is dress-up.

:lol::lol:
race-card.jpg

you played the religion card:eek:you trumped me!!!

No. I am referencing the widespread conservative opinion that people like John McCain can't be called conservative.

You know, the kind of rightwing PC (political correctness, not politicalchic) whose counterpart on the left is, IRONICALLY,

what Mamet is objecting to.

d....i....d...u...read...t....h...e...article?

Forum List

Back