Make Your Thoughts Known Now

xsited1, that's bullshit. I read two newspapers this past Sunday and I watch about 3 hours of news a day.

This ought to have been the lead headline on each one, and it was not. We are being bullied into sonambulence by our Media, and we are not going quietly.

BTW, I'd like the names of all the Senators who secretly voted to pass the Senate version of HR 4213....and I'll be happy to vote them OUT as much as I can.

This thing stretches from amendments to the so called stimulus bill to Digital TV From state and local taxes to Credits on God only knows what. I can't tell what they are trying to hide in this one without at least 2 weeks of study. I know damned well no one who voted for it has any clue either. But knowing this congress they are hiding something in there.

SFC? I address ONLY the Digital TV aspect of this because I know something of it. [OP? If you'll induldge me...and forgive me for the slightly OT diversion]?

Digital TV was necessary due to changes in technology, and the RF Spectrum Limits with too many users on the RF spectrum. It HAD to be done.

/OT Comment. As to the rest of it SFC? The Government BLEW IT, and had inspected that rig before it blew up.

They dropped the ball...the Operators dropped the ball...Errors were ensued by the catastrophe we see before us.

Another TAX isn't going to do anything but piss people off more.

Regular Thread Topic now resumed...

~T

Mr. H Wrote:

The links in your first post open documents that are Amendments to a Bill, not the Bill itself. Since you started this can you drum up a link to the original Bill?

Thanking you in advance...

P.S.- if you download the PDF and search the word "oil" there are only two instances, and both reference a limitation on depletion allowance for marginal oil production.

I am very sorry I messed up, Mr. H. Hopefully, these links are correct.

Bill Summary:

H.R. 4213 - Summary: American Workers, State, and Business Relief Act of 2010 (GovTrack.us)

Full Text:

Read The Bill: H.R. 4213 - GovTrack.us

The Senate version is evidentially the same; I'm not a parlimentary process expert, but that is how it seems.

How to track federal legislation:

GovTrack: Trackers

Warning: bill tracking is enormously time-consuming. If you sign up for this you'll be instantly overwhelmed with data. May want to try approaching this through your legislator's offices, asking to be kept apprised of a certain bill or subject matter.

It looks like an assessment on certain oil production, not a tax on gasoline.

Whatever... we'll pay it. That's all I'm saying.

I doubt that such an assessment could be passed down from producer to the gas pump.

Mr. H, as I understand things this is a SALES TAX ON GASOLINE. At the pump.

But even if it is paid by producers or distillers, what on earth makes you think they'd have any reason to absorb it rather than passing the pain along to consumers?

This thing stretches from amendments to the so called stimulus bill to Digital TV From state and local taxes to Credits on God only knows what. I can't tell what they are trying to hide in this one without at least 2 weeks of study. I know damned well no one who voted for it has any clue either. But knowing this congress they are hiding something in there.

SFC? I address ONLY the Digital TV aspect of this because I know something of it. [OP? If you'll induldge me...and forgive me for the slightly OT diversion]?

Digital TV was necessary due to changes in technology, and the RF Spectrum Limits with too many users on the RF spectrum. It HAD to be done.

/OT Comment. As to the rest of it SFC? The Government BLEW IT, and had inspected that rig before it blew up.

They dropped the ball...the Operators dropped the ball...Errors were ensued by the catastrophe we see before us.

~T

I actually care about the government and Digital TV and/or high speed broadband 'net access, The T. Not that I don't think USMB-ers' have the attention span to remain focused if someone makes an off-topic reference, but I think that aside about Digital TV deserves its own thread.

I am not saying "do nothing" to Congress. Just quit doing SO MUCH so fast and so badly.

~T

I do not mind Government direction being given for Digital TV, I understand all the reasons for it. The point is that this is another catch all bill that covers so many diverse subjects that there is no way for a Representative to know what they are voting for; AGAIN.

If you have bill about digital TV then make it about Digital TV. If it is about spending on walrus shit then make it about walrus shit. At least then we the people might be able to understand them.

~T

I do not mind Government direction being given for Digital TV, I understand all the reasons for it. The point is that this is another catch all bill that covers so many diverse subjects that there is no way for a Representative to know what they are voting for; AGAIN.

If you have bill about digital TV then make it about Digital TV. If it is about spending on walrus shit then make it about walrus shit. At least then we the people might be able to understand them.

I agree. I'd LOVE to see an Amendment regarding Bills brought before the legislature that stand on their own merit...NO RIDERS...NO PORK...

I'm with you brother.

~T

~T

I actually care about the government and Digital TV and/or high speed broadband 'net access, The T. Not that I don't think USMB-ers' have the attention span to remain focused if someone makes an off-topic reference, but I think that aside about Digital TV deserves its own thread.

I am not saying "do nothing" to Congress. Just quit doing SO MUCH so fast and so badly.

Broadband Internet access are NOT covered under Digital Television in the RF Spectrum sense. The RF Spectrum under television/radio are ON AIR broadcasting, and Broadband Internet is NOT inclusive unto it.

They are separt entities that are INTERFACED with one-another. Different.

And thank you for the remarks otherwise. Thanks for the indulgence.

~T

Mr. H Wrote:

The links in your first post open documents that are Amendments to a Bill, not the Bill itself. Since you started this can you drum up a link to the original Bill?

Thanking you in advance...

P.S.- if you download the PDF and search the word "oil" there are only two instances, and both reference a limitation on depletion allowance for marginal oil production.

I am very sorry I messed up, Mr. H. Hopefully, these links are correct.

Bill Summary:

H.R. 4213 - Summary: American Workers, State, and Business Relief Act of 2010 (GovTrack.us)

Full Text:

Read The Bill: H.R. 4213 - GovTrack.us

The Senate version is evidentially the same; I'm not a parlimentary process expert, but that is how it seems.

How to track federal legislation:

GovTrack: Trackers

Warning: bill tracking is enormously time-consuming. If you sign up for this you'll be instantly overwhelmed with data. May want to try approaching this through your legislator's offices, asking to be kept apprised of a certain bill or subject matter.

No need to apologize- you got your hands full formatting all that text in your posts. :D

Lemme get good and drunk and I'll do some more digging.

~T

I couldn't agree more, and both parties need to live it from now on. We simply can't afford to keep sneaking these expensive pet projects through.

Yanno, the Florida state constitution has a "single issue bill" provision. It's not impossible to draft around it but laws have been invalidated on the grounds that they contemplated more'n one.

Might be worth considering for all the Rube Goldberg wanna-bes we send to Congress, eh?

Fuck this. If we damage public property WE are liable for the expense of fixing it. BP and Halliburton should pay for this mess, out of pocket, and should be disallowed from passing those costs on to the consumer.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/environment/118430-bp-to-pay-new-tax-4-clean-up-anyway.html

taxing gas as well?

WASHINGTON (AP) - Responding to the massive BP oil spill, Congress is getting ready to quadruple—to 32 cents a barrel—a tax on oil used to help finance cleanups. The increase would raise nearly $11 billion over the next decade.
The tax is levied on oil produced in the U.S. or imported from foreign countries. The revenue goes to a fund managed by the Coast Guard to help pay to clean up spills in waterways, such as the Gulf of Mexico.

The tax increase is part of a larger bill that has grown into a nearly $200 billion grab bag of unfinished business that lawmakers hope to complete before Memorial Day. The key provisions are a one-year extension of about 50 popular tax breaks that expired at the end of last year, and expanded unemployment benefits, including subsidies for health insurance, through the end of the year.

The House could vote on the bill as early as Tuesday. Senate leaders hope to complete work on it before Congress goes on a weeklong break next week.

Lawmakers want to increase the current 8-cent-a-barrel tax on oil to make sure there is enough money available to respond to oil spills. At least 6 million gallons of crude have spewed into the Gulf of Mexico since a drilling rig exploded April 20 off the Louisiana coast.

President Barack Obama and congressional leaders have said they expect BP to foot the bill for the cleanup.

"Taxpayers will not pick up the tab," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said Monday.

Well, it would appear then that Harry Reid is a LIAR, huh?

pelosi-liar-liar.gif

Hardly the only elected official lying to us ATM. I may have that image of Pelosi framed for my office.

The Clowns in DC amaze me.

They blow our taxdollars on BS and then want to raise taxes to pay for their fuck-ups.

The kicker is that we are paying these morons to fuck us over.

Jeeze.

I don't see why the consumers have to pay for clean up. There should be some fund or insurance pool that all oil companies who do business here have to contribute to.

I don't see why the consumers have to pay for clean up. There should be some fund or insurance pool that all oil companies who do business here have to contribute to.

Oil companies have insurance for just this kind of thing. They probably don't have enough to cover it all and will end up paying out of their pockets. But that's their problem.
It is certainly not Obama's problem. Except that he's made it his.
Fixing oil disaster my responsibility, Obama says - Yahoo! News
Proving himself the most inept president in history.

Forum List

Back