Make Your Thoughts Known Now

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
The House was set to take up a bill, imposing new taxes on gasoline to provide funds for the clean up of BP's spill, today. That did not happen, but the bill is now set for vote tomorrow, May 26th.

Here's a link to the summary of the bill:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-4213&tab=summary

Here's the Full Text (I hope):

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-4213

Here's an article about this everything-but-the-kitchen-sink bill:

Oil tax increase would help pay to clean up spills

This bill already passed the Senate; if if passes the House there's very little chance it can be halted at the Executive point. Please consider pressuring your Reps NOW, TONIGHT. Here's a link to HOR contact information:

United States House of Representatives, 111th Congress, 2nd Session

IMO, if American taxpayers have to underwrite the clean up, that's unavoidable. If new taxes are necessary, I'm willing to listen to why that might be. But these new taxes should apply ONLY to imported oil. Let's at least put BP at a competitive disadvantage if we, the taxpayer, are about to be hosed AGAIN.

America DOES NOT need another 2,500 page bill the public (and likely most legislators) cannot parse through before it is passed. Since tax breaks can legally be made retroactive, I just don't see the urgency for passage of this bill.

Last edited:
thanks for the heads up maddie.

good old lloyd dogbreath got yet another note from me about how i thought he should vote.

All this is is a way to offset the huge deficits they have created. Not $1 will go to what it is intended. I PROMISE.

Funny how every damn circumstance that comes up seems to generate a new "tax" or "fee".

Scumbags.

• Banned
I'm retired. I'm a news slut. How in the hell did this thing pass the Senate and almost reach a vote in the House without me knowing diddlely shit about it?

I caught this as the LOCAL FOX news was broadcast tonight. One reason I watch our local FOX news is that they do a better job of covering what matters here, IMO. Even CNN has had zippedity doo dah on this, as best I can tell.

I am sick and tired of getting fucked over by secret, super-fast legislation.

Aren't you?

We used to have a saying about this:

"Freedom abhors secret proceedings."

I'm retired. I'm a news slut. How in the hell did this thing pass the Senate and almost reach a vote in the House without me knowing diddlely shit about it?

I caught this as the LOCAL FOX news was broadcast tonight. One reason I watch our local FOX news is that they do a better job of covering what matters here, IMO. Even CNN has had zippedity doo dah on this, as best I can tell.

I am sick and tired of getting fucked over by secret, super-fast legislation.

Aren't you?

We used to have a saying about this:

"Freedom abhors secret proceedings."

And this from the man and posse who promised a MORE TRANSPARENT GOVERNMENT.

Here is to CHANGE folks, drink up.

It looks like an assessment on certain oil production, not a tax on gasoline.

It is being reported -- but not by any major news outlet -- that bill includes a QUADRUPLING of the federal gas tax, to 32 cents a gallon. I think you may be right -- but I cannot read another ginormous bill before posting here, so I chose to alert people quickly.

What needs to be borne in mind is that, due to the BP spill, we will almost certainly never see gas under $3.50 a gallon in this country ever again, beginning very soon. (That is my opinion, but I don't think many disagree with me.) The last time gas was this high, many people in my community were forced to choose between food and gas.

I do NOT intend to sit by and allow it to happen again without at least registering my disapproval.

It looks like an assessment on certain oil production, not a tax on gasoline.

It is being reported -- but not by any major news outlet -- that bill includes a QUADRUPLING of the federal gas tax, to 32 cents a gallon. I think you may be right -- but I cannot read another ginormous bill before posting here, so I chose to alert people quickly.

What needs to be borne in mind is that, due to the BP spill, we will almost certainly never see gas under $3.50 a gallon in this country ever again, beginning very soon. (That is my opinion, but I don't think many disagree with me.) The last time gas was this high, many people in my community were forced to choose between food and gas.

I do NOT intend to sit by and allow it to happen again without at least registering my disapproval.

I appreciate those links. I'll give it a good look-see.

Gasoline might hit $3.50/gal but not because of the spill. And certainly not with crude selling for $70/barrel.

This thing stretches from amendments to the so called stimulus bill to Digital TV From state and local taxes to Credits on God only knows what. I can't tell what they are trying to hide in this one without at least 2 weeks of study. I know damned well no one who voted for it has any clue either. But knowing this congress they are hiding something in there.

This thing stretches from amendments to the so called stimulus bill to Digital TV From state and local taxes to Credits on God only knows what. I can't tell what they are trying to hide in this one without at least 2 weeks of study. I know damned well no one who voted for it has any clue either. But knowing this congress they are hiding something in there.

Absolutely, SFC Ollie. There has been an explosion of "government benefits" flowing from the passage of the health care bill. Check out the website below:

http://www.govbenefits.gov/govbenefits_en.portal

Now we are funding the cost of day care for school aged children over the summer, and all sorts of other fun things. I don't mean to be mean, but why am I picking up the costs of living at someone else's house when I cannot cover my own? Couldn't this have waited until the economy recovered?

You can bet the house that happened because someone "close to the administration" owns a controlling interest in a day care center or summer camp. It's preposterous. It's robbery.

Last edited:
Make Your Thoughts Known Now

zzzz.gif

But didnt you know Ollie

Transparency is the name of the change game

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Absolutely, SFC Ollie. There has been an explosion of "government benefits" flowing from the passage of the health care bill. Check out the website below:

GovBenefits.gov - Your Benefits Connection

Now we are funding the cost of day care for school aged children over the summer, and all sorts of other fun things. I don't mean to be mean, but why am I picking up the costs of living at someone else's house when I cannot cover my own? Couldn't this have waited until the economy recovered?

You can bet the house that happened because someone "close to the administration" owns a controlling interest in a day care center or summer camp. It's preposterous. It's robbery.

The links in your first post open documents that are Amendments to a Bill, not the Bill itself. Since you started this :D can you drum up a link to the original Bill?

Thanking you in advance...

P.S.- if you download the PDF and search the word "oil" there are only two instances, and both reference a limitation on depletion allowance for marginal oil production.

Forum List

Back