M3 Greasegun

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
I've read many memoirs of soldiers in WWII (With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge is the finest, by a mile) but in the ETO, the Greasegun was a mass produced rifle that was very inexpensive to make, and I've read accounts from guys there who lost their friends in combat beacuse it had a tendency to jam in close quarters urban combat, leaving you vulnerable without a sidearm.

Never seen one fired before at an actual range though, and never fired one.

I bet the MP40 was much more reliable.

I've read many memoirs of soldiers in WWII (With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge is the finest, by a mile) but in the ETO, the Greasegun was a mass produced rifle that was very inexpensive to make, and I've read accounts from guys there who lost their friends in combat beacuse it had a tendency to jam in close quarters urban combat, leaving you vulnerable without a sidearm.

tank crews used to carry them also .

tank crews used to carry them also .
They ware still in use by tank crews in Vietnam.

One of my friends drove a M48 there in '65-'66 and was issued one.

I believe this pic was taken in Germany but you get the idea.

42be30834458b654ff75b8a6543fc87a--us-army-united-states.jpg

Edit: I was just down at the local flea market and my friend was there and I told him of this thread.

He said, and I quote, "the M3 was a piece of shit".

Last edited:

Submachine gun. Not rifle. I owned an M3A1, and it was reliable as hell.

Forum List

Back