M y Latest Hand Made Walking Cane

That's beautiful looks so vintage! It reminds me of the canes that people used to carry in the 1920s and 1930s! :2up:
Yeah, it was vintage 'Hane' style, but I wanted to give it more texture. Thanks for the compliment!

I have a walking stick similar to Gandalfs...and people give me a wide birth when I am hobbling along. Good.
Lol, a good hickory hiking staff is great too, but more length than is convenient in resauraunts etc.

Did you cast the head yourself?
No, I cut it down from the old spherical shape, and then sanded it to remove the plasticy layer and then sort of gnurled it with a wire brush head on my drill, to improve the grip.

I've been casting items made on my 3d printer in aluminum and aluminum copper alloy. With a charcoal foundry and greensand. It takes a lot of practice.

No, I cut it down from the old spherical shape, and then sanded it to remove the plasticy layer and then sort of gnurled it with a wire brush head on my drill, to improve the grip.

I've been casting items made on my 3d printer in aluminum and aluminum copper alloy. With a charcoal foundry and greensand. It takes a lot of practice.

Have you seen this? Micro scale forging of alluminum.

Have you seen this? Micro scale forging of alluminum.

Basic idea. I built mine from a book by David Gingery from the '70s. He wrote a series of books on how to make a complete machine shop from scratch. First you build the forge out of a 5 gallon paint can. Use the forge to make a metal lathe. Use the lathe to make a metal shaper, then a milling machine, then a drill press. I never did the drill press, I stopped at the forge. I ruined a lot of patterns learning to get it right.

JimBowie1958 said:
Why is it that everyone thinks 'WEAPON!'?
Because Criminals Of All Levels Live Everywhere
Old Folks Are First Targets For All Levels Of Crime
A Cane Is The Perfect Match Of Innocuous And Prepared

I'm Not Sure What Your Liability Might Be With This:

sword cane.jpg

In my losing fight against early onset senility, I have done some woodworking.
I have been making my own walking canes for the last few years with mixed success. All of them have been comfortable to use and most of them durable, but found they had various weaknesses in their structure in the handle or the neck, etc.

This is my last one, I think, because it feels great in both hands, is indestructable and is ambidextrous.

5957-1574895560-5fb9317b5e451c3615465fd18cd95ec9.jpg

The 'hane' style handle is so comfortable, but it looks like a gear shift! lol
If You Have The Ambition
And A Supply Of Suitable Material
You Can Sell Stuff Like This On Line

I Have A Hobby Of My Own I Pursue
And Other People Have Found Themselves Trapped
Because A Hobby Went 'Successful' And Became A NEW JOB... uhgck....

JimBowie1958 said:
Why is it that everyone thinks 'WEAPON!'?
Because Criminals Of All Levels Live Everywhere
Old Folks Are First Targets For All Levels Of Crime
A Cane Is The Perfect Match Of Innocuous And Prepared

View attachment 307152
that's what I would like to have. Seriously. But I expect they are way expensive!

JimBowie1958 said:
Lol, a good hickory hiking staff is great too, but more length than is convenient in resauraunts etc.
I've Seen Older Gentlemen In Restaurants
Their Staffs Were Similar To Scepters In Sci-Fi
They Were A Popular Hit With The Crowd

View attachment 307152
that's what I would like to have. Seriously. But I expect they are way expensive!
They are not that expensive, between $110 and $2000 typically.

The Burgundy Sword Cane

Cold Steel 88SCFD Heavy Duty Sword Cane 37-1/2 inch Overall

Cane Swords for Sale - Buy Quality Blades at Discount Prices Online

SWORD CANES & WEAPON CANES

Welcome to the Official Web Site of Burger Sword Canes-Walking Sticks - Models

The trouble with sword canes is that if you get arrested for some trivial thing, the cops will likely check to see if the cane separates and has a hidden blade in it. It isnt their first rodeo. That stacks more charges up against you.

The second problem is that you really should get some fencing training or else its just a pointy metal rod, and the bad guy might know how to take it from you more than you know how to use it. Learning to use the weapon correctly is crucial in making it an effective weapon.

The best way to go is to just get a normal L or T shaped handle and learn how to use the cane as a thrusting weapon, and to control your distance, grip and how to deliver the blows, and where to strike. These canes are more effective than a cane sword with proper training.

Wood Canes: Amazon.com

This is how I was trained to use a baton or cane in the military, it isnt that hard to learn.

Forum List

Back