Lynn Swann Would Ban Abortion And Same Sex Marriage

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
HARRISBURG | Republican gubernatorial candidate Lynn Swann said in a televised interview Sunday that he would sign legislation banning abortion in the state if the U.S. Supreme Court ever voted to overturn Roe v. Wade.

''I would sign — if the legislation came to me, I would sign it,'' Swann said during an appearance on ABC News' ''This Week with George Stephanopoulos.''

In a wide-ranging interview that provided some of the most detailed insight yet into his policy positions, the National Football League Hall of Famer also said he'd support a constitutional amendment now before the state Legislature that would define marriage as the union of a man and a woman.

He also said he'd oppose a bill raising Pennsylvania's minimum wage from $5.15 an hour to $7.15 an hour by 2007 because he feared it would make the state less competitive with its neighbors.

Swann, who began his voting life as a Democrat, also called on black and minority voters who traditionally vote Democrat to be ''more open about the party of choice.''

''Minorities give their vote to the Democratic Party, and the Democratic Party has given them lip service in terms of being involved in the party and in being major players,'' Swann said, pointing to such high-profile Bush administration officials as Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice and Labor Secretary Elaine Chao as evidence of the GOP's commitment to diversity.

The brief interview aired one day after Swann became the first black to accept his party's endorsement for governor.

Though he faces a likely primary challenge in May, commentators are already looking ahead to a November match-up between the former Pittsburgh Steelers star and Democratic Gov. Ed Rendell.

Stephanopoulos spent several minutes grilling Swann on his position on abortion, which remains a hot-button issue in Pennsylvania politics a decade after the landmark high court decision Casey v. Planned Parenthood.

Named for the late governor, the decision requires minors to seek parental permission before obtaining an abortion. ''You describe yourself as 'pro-life.' What does that mean to you exactly?'' Stephanopoulos asked.

''That you're in favor of life,'' Swann replied. ''That you do not believe in abortion. That you look for alternative measures and means other than having an abortion.''

In his interview with Stephanopoulos, Swann appeared to be unfamiliar with the way the Roe decision worked. Swann has been criticized for his lack of political experience and apparent reluctance to discuss policy issues in detail.

''Well, if the Supreme Court overturned (Roe v. Wade), then, they've basically overturned it,'' he said. ''They've basically said that, you know, you can't have an abortion.''

When Stephanopoulos informed him that a high court vote overturning Roe would leave it up to individual states to regulate abortions, Swann replied: ''Well if they send it to the states to decide … as opposed to making a decision that abortions are illegal, then I would sign [legislation] making abortions illegal.''

Swann said he would make exceptions in cases of rape or incest, or where the mother's health was endangered.

Rest of article:

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-a1_5swannfeb13,0,5945366.story

I heard him the other night and he really sounds like a straight shooter…But this…

In his interview with Stephanopoulos, Swann appeared to be unfamiliar with the way the Roe decision worked. Swann has been criticized for his lack of political experience and apparent reluctance to discuss policy issues in detail.

''Well, if the Supreme Court overturned (Roe v. Wade), then, they've basically overturned it,'' he said. ''They've basically said that, you know, you can't have an abortion.''

When Stephanopoulos informed him that a high court vote overturning Roe would leave it up to individual states to regulate abortions, Swann replied: ''Well if they send it to the states to decide … as opposed to making a decision that abortions are illegal, then I would sign [legislation] making abortions illegal.''

Swann said he would make exceptions in cases of rape or incest, or where the mother's health was endangered.

He’s playing to the extreme right. How can you be against abortion, except?
It doesn’t wash and that dog won’t hunt.
This is something I’ve notice many of the politicians doing lately.

Mr. P said:
I heard him the other night and he really sounds like a straight shooter…But this…

He’s playing to the extreme right. How can you be against abortion, except?
It doesn’t wash and that dog won’t hunt.
This is something I’ve notice many of the politicians doing lately.

He doesn't want abortion to be used as birth control.

I was wondering where Swann stood as far as his affiliation with the Republican party. So far his comments seem pretty conservative. I hope he keeps speaking his mind straight and to the point.

Ed Rendell is a joke of a governor. He ruined Philly (actually thats been going on for years he just added to it) and now he's caused many major companies to leave PA because of the high taxes and threats of minimum wage hikes. He's staked his whole career on slot machines in PA which i dont have a problem with but there are other areas of need more important then gambling.

I like it when guys who arent career politicians jump into the frey. Arnold did a good job so far because hes a straight shooter. I think Swann will do the same.

insein said:
I was wondering where Swann stood as far as his affiliation with the Republican party. So far his comments seem pretty conservative. I hope he keeps speaking his mind straight and to the point.

Ed Rendell is a joke of a governor. He ruined Philly (actually thats been going on for years he just added to it) and now he's caused many major companies to leave PA because of the high taxes and threats of minimum wage hikes. He's staked his whole career on slot machines in PA which i dont have a problem with but there are other areas of need more important then gambling.

I like it when guys who arent career politicians jump into the frey. Arnold did a good job so far because hes a straight shooter. I think Swann will do the same.

AND he can catch.

lynn_swann3_jpg.jpg

:D

Mr. P said:
Who does? Valid Links..not the because, if they didn't then, stuff.
I've never seen anyone promote nor support abortion "as" birth control.

WTF are you talking about?

That was an assumption on my part. If rape, incest, and/or health of mom is the exception, then a reasonable assumption would be because many people use it as a method of birth control.

Chill dude.

GotZoom said:
WTF are you talking about?

That was an assumption on my part. If rape, incest, and/or health of mom is the exception, then a reasonable assumption would be because many people use it as a method of birth control.

Chill dude.
I be fine as a frog hair...
Assumption, be bad, very very BAD.

Forum List

Back