Lynchburg Tn, proposes a new tax on ONE company

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
They want to single out and tax Jack Daniels about 4 to 5 million a year. Their reasoning is that Jack uses the image of the town in their advertisements. I don't know if the town is run by the left or right but I have a hunch. Its nothing more than singling out success.

Jack daniels has a museum that brings the town about a quarter million in revenue each year and jack daniels is the largest employer in the area.

Jack Daniel's Distillery Targeted for More Taxes - ABC News

I was watching this . This one citizen says they make plenty of money and lynchburgh has given back to them with commercials ect. But look what Jack Daniels have given to the community . Jobs and tourism. Plus they already pay their fair share of taxes.

JD apparently pays 1/3 of the county tax...which means they are likely the only company with a national reach in the county.

JD will have to make a decision...pay up or move. If they move, the county is in deep shit for sure.

• Banned
I would refuse to pay it. Take it to court. And if I lost I would move my company. Those stupid politicians can't properly budget their money then want to punish the towns largest contributor of revenue and jobs.

Screw em

• Banned
Honestly though, is this attempt to tax one company even legal? Seems so completely unfair it should violate some fairness clause.

Honestly though, is this attempt to tax one company even legal? Seems so completely unfair it should violate some fairness clause.

Obviously the city is tired of all the employees of Jack Daniels paying taxes. They want to turn the workers into the unemployed.

They want to single out and tax Jack Daniels about 4 to 5 million a year. Their reasoning is that Jack uses the image of the town in their advertisements. I don't know if the town is run by the left or right but I have a hunch. Its nothing more than singling out success. Jack daniels has a museum that brings the town about a quarter million in revenue each year and jack daniels is the largest employer in the area.
Jack Daniel's Distillery Targeted for More Taxes - ABC News

For many decades up to 70% of all federal government tax revenue came from taxing booze. When Prohibition was recommended, the Drys asked the federal government to institute a federal income tax on all Americans as a way to replace the Alcohol Tax dependence, and thus change the U.S. Constitution to outlaw Booze(otherwise known as Prohibition) and create an income tax on Americans. If the income tax obsessed Tea Party Rightwingnuts want to cut income taxes, all they have to do is go back to the days when the majority of the federal government's budget was subsidized by Alcohol taxes.:razz:

------

It depends on how the law is worded. If it says "Jack Daniels will pay a tax of such-and-such," then it's illegal. However, if it says, all distilleries earning over a certain revenue shall pay a tax of such-and-such," then it's legal. it's a scam, but it technically doesn't violate the Constitution.

Forum List

Back