Lots Of Other Countries Mandate Paid Leave. Why Not The U.S.?

David_42

Registered Democrat.
Aug 9, 2015
Republican family value supporters can't stand this idea.
If you've been paying attention to the political news in the past couple of years, you know that the U.S. stands virtually alone in not mandating paid leave of any type for its workers.

It's hard to miss; the topic has become a top talking point for Democratic politicians. Hillary Clinton is advocating for stronger paid-leave policies on the campaign trail. In her Monday economic address, Clinton called for paid family leave as a way of helping women stay in the workforce. Sen. Bernie Sanders, her closest rival for the Democratic nomination, has advocated both paid vacation and paid maternity leave on the campaign trail. In addition, some cities and states have started instituting their own sick leave policies.

President Obama likewise brought new attention to paid leave this year as well, when he pointed out in his State of the Union address that the U.S. is the only advanced economy that doesn't mandate paid sick or maternity leave for its workers.

He was right about that — it's true that most American workers are covered by the Family Medical Leave Act, which allows workers up to 12 weeks of leave per year to care for family members. But that leave is unpaid.

Here, for example, is where the U.S. stands on paid maternity leave in comparison with other countries in the OECD, a group of highly developed economies:

The U.S. is the only one that doesn't mandate paid maternity leave. Likewise, the U.S. is one of nine OECD countries that have no leave policies in place for fathers.

It's not just parental leave, of course — when it comes to vacation, the U.S. is also unique. The chart below shows combined mandatory vacation days and federal holidays in all OECD nations. All of the U.S. days represented below are federal holidays (which are also not guaranteed days off for all workers); the rest of the nations mandate paid vacation days in addition.

It's a similar story on sick days — among high-income countries, the U.S. alone does not mandate sick leave, according to data compiled by the World Policy Forum.

Republican family value supporters can't stand this idea.
If you've been paying attention to the political news in the past couple of years, you know that the U.S. stands virtually alone in not mandating paid leave of any type for its workers.

It's hard to miss; the topic has become a top talking point for Democratic politicians. Hillary Clinton is advocating for stronger paid-leave policies on the campaign trail. In her Monday economic address, Clinton called for paid family leave as a way of helping women stay in the workforce. Sen. Bernie Sanders, her closest rival for the Democratic nomination, has advocated both paid vacation and paid maternity leave on the campaign trail. In addition, some cities and states have started instituting their own sick leave policies.

President Obama likewise brought new attention to paid leave this year as well, when he pointed out in his State of the Union address that the U.S. is the only advanced economy that doesn't mandate paid sick or maternity leave for its workers.

He was right about that — it's true that most American workers are covered by the Family Medical Leave Act, which allows workers up to 12 weeks of leave per year to care for family members. But that leave is unpaid.

Here, for example, is where the U.S. stands on paid maternity leave in comparison with other countries in the OECD, a group of highly developed economies:

The U.S. is the only one that doesn't mandate paid maternity leave. Likewise, the U.S. is one of nine OECD countries that have no leave policies in place for fathers.

It's not just parental leave, of course — when it comes to vacation, the U.S. is also unique. The chart below shows combined mandatory vacation days and federal holidays in all OECD nations. All of the U.S. days represented below are federal holidays (which are also not guaranteed days off for all workers); the rest of the nations mandate paid vacation days in addition.

It's a similar story on sick days — among high-income countries, the U.S. alone does not mandate sick leave, according to data compiled by the World Policy Forum.
I might be open to discussion, with a caveat...

Can we mandate parenting time for black fathers, in return for maternity and paternity leave ???

I might even consider paternity credit, if they help raise the little bastards.

Lots of other countries have purged dissidents and forced famines on non compliant people. That's the next step of liberalism and the only reason it hasn't happened is because we're armed.

Lots of other countries have purged dissidents and forced famines on non compliant people. That's the next step of liberalism and the only reason it hasn't happened is because we're armed.

Paranoid loon post of the day.

Who gives a shit what other countries do?

The government should never be in the business of telling employers what to do when it comes to compensation.

Compensation should be between an employer and employee. The government should never interfere. That is not a proper role of government.

Who gives a shit what other countries do?

The government should never be in the business of telling employers what to do when it comes to compensation.

Compensation should be between an employer and employee. The government should never interfere. That is not a proper role of government.
I care what other countries do, I want america to be better for working families, I am a supporter of family values.

Feel free to move to any of those other countries if they'll let you in.
Typical right wing response, who cares about trying to improve our own country.
That's my point. I DO want to improve it, that's why I suggested you leave.
Great idea, let everyone on the left leave so we can have an authoritarian right wing theocracy with the old testament in charge.

Feel free to move to any of those other countries if they'll let you in.
Typical right wing response, who cares about trying to improve our own country.
That's my point. I DO want to improve it, that's why I suggested you leave.
Great idea, let everyone on the left leave so we can have an authoritarian right wing theocracy with the old testament in charge.
No, just you.

Well Fuckin A.

The rest of the world has every shade of moonbat bullshit policy already in place. Why cant't there be ONE PLACE on earth not tyrannized by self absorbed pseudo intellectual bed wetters like you who consistently fuck up everything you touch.

PLEASE go to Sweden, Switzerland if they'll take you, Cuba or North Korea.

That already have all the policy and laws in place that you want. Why can't you assholes just go and fuck off over there rather than fuck this country up?

[Q

I care what other countries do, I want america to be better for working families, I am a supporter of family values.

We all want better everything but we don't want the friggin government running our lives. At least I don't,maybe you do.

If you want paid leave then negotiate it with your employer. Keep the government out it. It is none of their business.

[Q

We all want better everything but we don't want the friggin government running our lives. At least I don't,maybe you do.

If you want paid leave then negotiate it with your employer. Keep the government out it. It is none of their business.

They're already involved so if you don't like it maybe you can leave.

Maybe its a thing called work ethic, pride, responsibility. The very same principles that made this country great and pushed this country to the top. But then again if its a free lunch you want, no accountability, don't give a shit about if the company you work for is prosperous enough to keep your pathetic sorry ass around, and need the government to determine your standard of living, then as another contributor posted, get the F--K out of here because you are the problem!

Because some of us understand there should be limits on what government can mandate both businesse and the indvivdual do we have no desire to see George Orwells 1984 come to life something you inch a little bit closer to every time you give more power to the government. Here is a final thought for the night when was the last time anyone remembers the government willingly giving up or reducing it's power?

[Q

They're already involved so if you don't like it maybe you can leave.

Just because they are involved don't mean it is right.

The government already controls our lives much more than it should and it is despicable.

That stupid President Shit for Brains applied the requirements to companies doing government contracts. All that is going to do is run up the cost of government and you are going to pay for it.

Moon Bats think everything is free but there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. We already have a stupid government requirement that a businesses doing federal work pay union wages and that is ridiculous and a significant cost burden. Why should the government be putting these significant cost burdens on the American people? Then we wonder why the government is out of control.

Maybe its a thing called work ethic, pride, responsibility. The very same principles that made this country great and pushed this country to the top. But then again if its a free lunch you want, no accountability, don't give a shit about if the company you work for is prosperous enough to keep your pathetic sorry ass around, and need the government to determine your standard of living, then as another contributor posted, get the F--K out of here because you are the problem!

Many of the Moon Bats are simply sorry people.

They have difficulty making it in life because they lazy, stupid, worthless etc.

They justify government protection because without it life would be hard for them.

They want the government to give them welfare and provide them with protection that they are to sorry to provide for themselves.

Forum List

Back