Lots of emotion all over the place

I hope Treyvon Martins parents can find peace. I can't imagine as a parent what they are feeling at this point and I TRULY HOPE they can steer clear ofthe race baiters and aambulance chasers looking to cash in at their expense.

I also hope that this does not further erode the fragile nature of race relations in our country and that George Zimmerman can find a productive and peaceful direction in his life.

Not gonna happen.

There is too much money to made by the media on this.

i have a hypothetical question. why doesnt the media go to chicago and focus on one of the black on black murders that occur routinely there? if a black guy kills another black guy should the fed govt consider it a civil rights violation?

i have a hypothetical question. why doesnt the media go to chicago and focus on one of the black on black murders that occur routinely there? if a black guy kills another black guy should the fed govt consider it a civil rights violation?

Because the media is no longer interested in news. The Media is only concerned with making money at the highest level, and this circus draws viewers.

I thought the piece below spot on, the pieces below that are a bit harder for Americans given a few hundred years. Law and courts only do what laws and court do, there is rarely a final resolution.

"What the verdict says, to the astonishment of tens of millions of us, is that you can go looking for trouble in Florida, with a gun and a great deal of racial bias, and you can find that trouble, and you can act upon that trouble in a way that leaves a young man dead, and none of it guarantees that you will be convicted of a crime." link below

"Of course the deadly meeting last year between Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman had at its core a racial element. Of course its tragic result reminds us that the nation, in ways too many of our leaders refuse to acknowledge, is still riven by race. The story of Martin and Zimmerman is the story of crime and punishment in America, and of racial disparities in capital sentencing, and in marijuana prosecutions, and in countless other things. But it wasn't Judge Debra Nelson's job to conduct a seminar on race relations in 2013. It wasn't her job to help America bridge its racial divide. It was her job to give Zimmerman a fair trial. And she did.

So the murder trial of George Zimmerman did not allow jurors to deliberate over the fairness of Florida's outlandishly broad self-defense laws. It did not allow them debate the virtues of the state's liberal gun laws or its evident tolerance for vigilantes (which we now politely call "neighborhood watch"). It did not permit them to delve into the racial profiling that Zimmerman may have engaged in or into the misconduct and mischief that Martin may have engaged in long before he took that fatal trip to the store for candy. These factors, these elements, part of the more complete picture of this tragedy, were off-limits to the ultimate decision-makers." Andrew Cohen

Law and Justice and George Zimmerman - Andrew Cohen - The Atlantic

=====

'Trayvon Martin And The Irony Of American Justice' Ta-Nehisi Coates

"I don't think the import of this is being appreciated. Effectively, I can bait you into a fight and if I start losing I can can legally kill you, provided I "believe" myself to be subject to "great bodily harm." It is then the state's job to prove--beyond a reasonable doubt--that I either did not actually fear for my life, or my fear was unreasonable. In the case of George Zimmerman, even if the state proved that he baited an encounter (and I am not sure they did) they still must prove that he had no reasonable justification to fear for his life. You see very similar language in the actual instructions given to the jury:

In deciding whether George Zimmerman was justified in the use of deadly force, you must judge him by the circumstances by which he was surrounded at the time the force was used. The danger facing George Zimmerman need not have been actual; however, to justify the use of deadly force, the appearance of danger must have been so real that a reasonably cautious and prudent person under the same circumstances would have believed that the danger could be avoided only through the use of that force. Based upon appearances, George Zimmerman must have actually believed that the danger was real."

[..]

"When you have society which takes at its founding the hatred and degradation of a people, when that society inscribes that degradation in its most hallowed document, and continues to inscribe hatred in its laws and policies, it is fantastic to believe that its citizens will derive no ill messaging.

It is painful to say this: Trayvon Martin is not a miscarriage of American justice, but American justice itself. This is not our system malfunctioning. It is our system working exactly as it should, given all of its programming. To expect our courts, our schools, our police to single-handedly correct for this, is to look at the final minute of the final quarter and wonder why we couldn't come back from twenty-four down.

To paraphrase a great man--We are what our record says we are. How can we sensibly expect different?"

Trayvon Martin And The Irony Of American Justice - Ta-Nehisi Coates - The Atlantic

A black kid walking home at night after buying candy, in a neighborhood that has been victimized by criminals. A stranger with a gun, frustrated by still trying to "do good", sees him and confronts him. One ends up dead.

NOTHING good can come of that. The police and legal system were basically screwed from the start in this one, as there is no good option or ending for anyone. The media injected poison that caused much of this.

This trial is a small scar on our nations' long history.

Yeah...there was that...and a few other things...

A black kid walking home at night after buying candy, in a neighborhood that has been victimized by criminals. A stranger with a gun, frustrated by still trying to "do good", sees him and confronts him. One ends up dead.

NOTHING good can come of that. The police and legal system were basically screwed from the start in this one, as there is no good option or ending for anyone. The media injected poison that caused much of this.

This trial is a small scar on our nations' long history.

you don't know, trayvon could have walked home instead of hanging around. Btw, Scoreboard.

Scoreboard???? As in how, like YOU won something?

Im 50/50 on this case. I wouldnt have cared either way. NO ONE "won" this.

The fact that you used a sports slang to signify that somehow you or people of your ideology "won" something is just sick.

Two families lives are forever scarred. One kid is dead. One man will never live in peace.

How you "won" anything baffles me.

The jury came to the correct decision. There is not enough evidence to prove anything. I applaud their courage. It was undoubtedly the correct verdict.

I agree.

THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE IN THIS CASE at all. It was a dog and pony show for two weeks. The police didn't arrest Zimmerman because THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE. The DA didn't want this either because THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE.

I saw the pictures of Zimmerman. Hell if some asshole had pushed my head into the concrete I would have shot the bastard myself. Its called SELF DEFENSE.

If Martin had been white, no one would have said a word.

If Zimmerman had been black, no one would have said a word.

Another case of idiots being allowed to play the race card. Good Gawd.

I agree.

THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE IN THIS CASE at all. It was a dog and pony show for two weeks. The police didn't arrest Zimmerman because THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE. The DA didn't want this either because THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE.

I saw the pictures of Zimmerman. Hell if some asshole had pushed my head into the concrete I would have shot the bastard myself. Its called SELF DEFENSE.

If Martin had been white, no one would have said a word.

If Zimmerman had been black, no one would have said a word.

Another case of idiots being allowed to play the race card. Good Gawd.

Yup.

Y'know, I remember EXACTLY where I was when I first heard race brought into the OJ trial. And even though the case looked bad for him up to that point, I knew it was over. The verdict didn't surprise me one bit.

The race industry and the media grabbed on to the Zimmerman trial like a dog with a bone. Black vs. white, black vs. white. The term "white hispanic", holy crap, represented a new low. Fortunately the jurors were obligated to base their decision on the evidence in the trial, not the ravings of the race pimps or the pundits.

The only leadership that blacks have right now is coming from the race pimps, there is ZERO leadership from anyone who would treat them as anything BUT victims, anyone who would challenge them.

And the guy in the White House just watches.

I thought the piece below spot on, the pieces below that are a bit harder for Americans given a few hundred years. Law and courts only do what laws and court do, there is rarely a final resolution.

"What the verdict says, to the astonishment of tens of millions of us, is that you can go looking for trouble in Florida, with a gun and a great deal of racial bias, and you can find that trouble, and you can act upon that trouble in a way that leaves a young man dead, and none of it guarantees that you will be convicted of a crime." link below

"Of course the deadly meeting last year between Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman had at its core a racial element. Of course its tragic result reminds us that the nation, in ways too many of our leaders refuse to acknowledge, is still riven by race. The story of Martin and Zimmerman is the story of crime and punishment in America, and of racial disparities in capital sentencing, and in marijuana prosecutions, and in countless other things. But it wasn't Judge Debra Nelson's job to conduct a seminar on race relations in 2013. It wasn't her job to help America bridge its racial divide. It was her job to give Zimmerman a fair trial. And she did.

So the murder trial of George Zimmerman did not allow jurors to deliberate over the fairness of Florida's outlandishly broad self-defense laws. It did not allow them debate the virtues of the state's liberal gun laws or its evident tolerance for vigilantes (which we now politely call "neighborhood watch"). It did not permit them to delve into the racial profiling that Zimmerman may have engaged in or into the misconduct and mischief that Martin may have engaged in long before he took that fatal trip to the store for candy. These factors, these elements, part of the more complete picture of this tragedy, were off-limits to the ultimate decision-makers." Andrew Cohen

Law and Justice and George Zimmerman - Andrew Cohen - The Atlantic

=====

"I don't think the import of this is being appreciated. Effectively, I can bait you into a fight and if I start losing I can can legally kill you, provided I "believe" myself to be subject to "great bodily harm." It is then the state's job to prove--beyond a reasonable doubt--that I either did not actually fear for my life, or my fear was unreasonable. In the case of George Zimmerman, even if the state proved that he baited an encounter (and I am not sure they did) they still must prove that he had no reasonable justification to fear for his life. You see very similar language in the actual instructions given to the jury:

In deciding whether George Zimmerman was justified in the use of deadly force, you must judge him by the circumstances by which he was surrounded at the time the force was used. The danger facing George Zimmerman need not have been actual; however, to justify the use of deadly force, the appearance of danger must have been so real that a reasonably cautious and prudent person under the same circumstances would have believed that the danger could be avoided only through the use of that force. Based upon appearances, George Zimmerman must have actually believed that the danger was real."

[..]

"When you have society which takes at its founding the hatred and degradation of a people, when that society inscribes that degradation in its most hallowed document, and continues to inscribe hatred in its laws and policies, it is fantastic to believe that its citizens will derive no ill messaging.

It is painful to say this: Trayvon Martin is not a miscarriage of American justice, but American justice itself. This is not our system malfunctioning. It is our system working exactly as it should, given all of its programming. To expect our courts, our schools, our police to single-handedly correct for this, is to look at the final minute of the final quarter and wonder why we couldn't come back from twenty-four down.

To paraphrase a great man--We are what our record says we are. How can we sensibly expect different?"

Trayvon Martin And The Irony Of American Justice - Ta-Nehisi Coates - The Atlantic

Oh, good grief. Get yourself a jar of vasoline would ya.

Treyvon muttered 3 words after he was shot that goes to his frame of m8nd and shows that even he knew he was the aggressor.

"You got me"

He could have just as easily walk home rather that attack. He played with fire and got burned.

Forum List

Back