Lost -- 2/23/10

I can't figure out if it's two realities happening at the same time or the 'real world reality' is what their life would have been like if the plane never crashed (that's what I think but who knows). Also notice that in the real world reality that they meet those who they met when the plane crashed -- Hurley met Locke; Jack met Desmond; Locke met Ben, etc. Destiny.

I definitely think we're looking at an alternate reality a la Gregory Benford's 1980 book Timescape.

Timescape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a classic paradox...the survivors of flight 815 can't stop "the anomalous event" in 1977 unless they crash on the island...and if they stop "the event" they don't crash on the island to stop "the event".

In Benford's book, this Grandfather Paradox creates an alternate reality. It's a fantastic book BTW, if you're a sci-fi aficionado.

Here is the link to the scientific theory from Wikipedia:

Grandfather paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, I do have entirely too much time on my hands. :D

This is very interesting as JJ Abrams is doing this (the parallel universe) on Fringe. Thanks!

Last edited:
I can't figure out if it's two realities happening at the same time or the 'real world reality' is what their life would have been like if the plane never crashed (that's what I think but who knows). Also notice that in the real world reality that they meet those who they met when the plane crashed -- Hurley met Locke; Jack met Desmond; Locke met Ben, etc. Destiny.

I definitely think we're looking at an alternate reality a la Gregory Benford's 1980 book Timescape.

It's a classic paradox...the survivors of flight 815 can't stop "the anomalous event" in 1977 unless they crash on the island...and if they stop "the event" they don't crash on the island to stop "the event".

In Benford's book, this Grandfather Paradox creates an alternate reality. It's a fantastic book BTW, if you're a sci-fi aficionado.

This is very interesting as JJ Abrams is doing this (the parallel universe) on Fringe. Thanks!

And Star Trek. (Well, he changed the timeline anyway.)

And Star Trek. (Well, he changed the timeline anyway.)

I haven't seen that but he does seem to repeat things. He borrows from Alias and X-Files all the time on Fringe.

One thing that doesn't square with me. Last season they showed Jack when he returned off the Island to be a broken man, but we never saw he had a son. After watching Jack's interaction with his son this week, how does that turn into a broken man. That doesn't square!

The end of last season I thought that they were all mental patients and we were watching how their brain works as they interacted with each other through the eyes of one patient. Now I don't

I do know that the shows creator stated that the fans will not be disappointed with the ending that it will not be a LAME ending.

Remember, Julia said it worked! Therefore I don't think it is a parallel universe anymore. I think the show is leading people to think that but will throw a curve in the end.

One thing that doesn't square with me. Last season they showed Jack when he returned off the Island to be a broken man, but we never saw he had a son. After watching Jack's interaction with his son this week, how does that turn into a broken man. That doesn't square!

The end of last season I thought that they were all mental patients and we were watching how their brain works as they interacted with each other through the eyes of one patient. Now I don't

I do know that the shows creator stated that the fans will not be disappointed with the ending that it will not be a LAME ending.

Remember, Julia said it worked! Therefore I don't think it is a parallel universe anymore. I think the show is leading people to think that but will throw a curve in the end.

I've thought that, too. I thought maybe the 'alternate reality' isn't a parallel universe but rather what would have happened had they never crashed to begin with . . and they all would have crossed each others paths in some way because that is their destiny.

Lost makes my brain spin. :thup:

I've thought that, too. I thought maybe the 'alternate reality' isn't a parallel universe but rather what would have happened had they never crashed to begin with . . and they all would have crossed each others paths in some way because that is their destiny.

Lost makes my brain spin. :thup:
Lost is making other people feel lost. :lol:

I never watched this show during regular season. This past summer I watched all season's in one weeks time online. I like watching series like that instead of waiting week by week.

Jack may not have HAD a son in the other reality.

They stopped "the event" in 1977...so that would have changed the lives of the Dharma Initiative personel as well as the Others.

Those changes could have deviated Jack's life in the New Reality to produce a son he didn't have in the Original Reality.

My question is...isn't Jacob alive in the New Reality?

Couldn't that be the reason Jacob brought these people to the island?

To create his own loophole allowing him to survive the Smoke Monster/Man in Black's loophole?

Jack may not have HAD a son in the other reality.

They stopped "the event" in 1977...so that would have changed the lives of the Dharma Initiative personel as well as the Others.

Those changes could have deviated Jack's life in the New Reality to produce a son he didn't have in the Original Reality.

My question is...isn't Jacob alive in the New Reality?

Couldn't that be the reason Jacob brought these people to the island?

To create his own loophole allowing him to survive the Smoke Monster/Man in Black's loophole?
Yep, hence I think why Jacob knew Jack would smash the mirror with it stuck on his time on the wheel in the light house. You're on with your scenario...however wouldn't this stop from Claire's baby ever being born? I think we are going to learn that Jack in this new reality with his son, will see that Kate is Jacks X-wife.

Locke (now the smoke monster) represents evil/Satan; Jacob (dead but appearing to people) represents good/God. They are drawing sides for the ultimate good vs. evil battle (Stephen King's The Stand anyone?). Locke already has Claire and Sawyer; Jacob has Hurley and is recruiting Jack. Jack asks "why, what does he (Jacob) want"? Jack, man of science, is asked to do Jacob's bidding based on faith.

Ok, at least that's my theory today.

Do they......or will there be a twist later on? Has Jacob been playing God and manipulating people's lives and choosing their destiny for them while MIB wants freedom and free will? Remember Locke's (Smokey) conversation with Richard Alpert when he started mentioning things that Richard wasn't aware and Locke asked, "what, Jacob didn't tell you that"? Why does Jacob keep his own people in the dark. Plus, if the temple is the only safe place for the "candidates", why is Jacob leading them away from the temple just like MIB is? I think we have been lead down a road of good vs evil and destiny vs free will from a certain perspective that might turn on a dime down the road. Time will tell.

Locke (now the smoke monster) represents evil/Satan; Jacob (dead but appearing to people) represents good/God. They are drawing sides for the ultimate good vs. evil battle (Stephen King's The Stand anyone?). Locke already has Claire and Sawyer; Jacob has Hurley and is recruiting Jack. Jack asks "why, what does he (Jacob) want"? Jack, man of science, is asked to do Jacob's bidding based on faith.

Ok, at least that's my theory today.

Do they......or will there be a twist later on? Has Jacob been playing God and manipulating people's lives and choosing their destiny for them while MIB wants freedom and free will? Remember Locke's (Smokey) conversation with Richard Alpert when he started mentioning things that Richard wasn't aware and Locke asked, "what, Jacob didn't tell you that"? Why does Jacob keep his own people in the dark. Plus, if the temple is the only safe place for the "candidates", why is Jacob leading them away from the temple just like MIB is? I think we have been lead down a road of good vs evil and destiny vs free will from a certain perspective that might turn on a dime down the road. Time will tell.

I thought that too but then I thought that Locke (smokey) was just taunting Richard and I figured that Jacob isn't keeping people in the dark as much as he just wants them to reach their own conclusion for siding with him.

The bolded? Yep. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

smokey (locke) wants to go home he said...he wants to find Claire's baby because that is the tool they both need for the game changer (whatever that is). This is where I think the story line will go over the next week or two.

Remember in past season's Claire stated she wanted the baby to be safe.

I never watched this show during regular season. This past summer I watched all season's in one weeks time online. I like watching series like that instead of waiting week by week.

They almost lost me the second season because of all the repeats and interruptions and all. They finally figured out not to do that.

shot0002.png

Forum List

Back