Zone1 Losing their religion: why US churches are on the decline

I exist.

Amaterasu doesn't
Jehovah doesn't.
Zeus doesn't
Allah doesn't
Krishna doesn't

So I can either pray to one of the imaginary sky fairies to solve my problems, or I can solve them myself.
You are missing the forest for the trees with that overly simplistic worldview. Prayer isn't for the "gods." Prayer is for you. The practical application of religious beliefs - prayer being only one aspect - is not about the "gods." The practical application of religious beliefs are about evolving your consciousness so as to be able to see reality. It is extremely powerful and leads to happiness and joy through the storms of life. The only one you are harming with your beliefs is yourself.

You are missing the forest for the trees with that overly simplistic worldview. Prayer isn't for the "gods." Prayer is for you. The practical application of religious beliefs - prayer being only one aspect - is not about the "gods." The practical application of religious beliefs are about evolving your consciousness so as to be able to see reality. It is extremely powerful and leads to happiness and joy through the storms of life. The only one you are harming with your beliefs is yourself.

Every time some God Botherer says, "I'll pray for you", my immediate thought is, "Can you do something useful instead."

I'm about useful solutions, praying to an imaginary pixie in the sky isn't useful.

A sad reality in many places. Will new generations live a righteous life without the guidance of a clear moral authority?

Losing their religion: why US churches are on the decline​

Churches are closing at rapid numbers in the US, researchers say, as congregations dwindle across the country and a younger generation of Americans abandon Christianity altogether – even as faith continues to dominate American politics.

As the US adjusts to an increasingly non-religious population, thousands of churches are closing each year in the country – a figure that experts believe may have accelerated since the Covid-19 pandemic.

The situation means some hard decisions for pastors, who have to decide when a dwindling congregation is no longer sustainable. But it has also created a boom market for those wanting to buy churches, with former houses of worship now finding new life.

About 4,500 Protestant churches closed in 2019, the last year data is available, with about 3,000 new churches opening, according to Lifeway Research. It was the first time the number of churches in the US hadn’t grown since the evangelical firm started studying the topic. With the pandemic speeding up a broader trend of Americans turning away from Christianity, researchers say the closures will only have accelerated.

“The closures, even for a temporary period of time, impacted a lot of churches. People breaking that habit of attending church means a lot of churches had to work hard to get people back to attending again,” said Scott McConnell, executive director at Lifeway Research.

“In the last three years, all signs are pointing to a continued pace of closures probably similar to 2019 or possibly higher, as there’s been a really rapid rise in American individuals who say they’re not religious.”

First of all, a building doesn't make anything. You can attend a service in that building for years and still be vile. Some of the people here purport to be religious but they are pretty vile. Over the past decade there has been this massive growth of mega churches. It's about being entertained or being seen as religious on tv. A lot of people flock to that.

Spirit isn't watching that tv show and doesn't care about about that need for external validation that leads to some really poor decision making. A lot of people are searching for something more meaningful. They don't want anything to do with that flock.

First of all, a building doesn't make anything. You can attend a service in that building for years and still be vile. Some of the people here purport to be religious but they are pretty vile. Over the past decade there has been this massive growth of mega churches. It's about being entertained or being seen as religious on tv. A lot of people flock to that.

Spirit isn't watching that tv show and doesn't care about about that need for external validation that leads to some really poor decision making. A lot of people are searching for something more meaningful. They don't want anything to do with that flock.
Sometim

Something mor meaningful is welcome and I agree church itself doesn't make you a good Christian, following Jesuses word does . Sometimes I feel I am too sensitive for this world. Vile, rage, hatred and laxk of empathy is around us. Whag does this mean for our species chances of survival?

Sometim

Something mor meaningful is welcome and I agree church itself doesn't make you a good Christian, following Jesuses word does . Sometimes I feel I am too sensitive for this world. Vile, rage, hatred and laxk of empathy is around us. Whag does this mean for our species chances of survival?

It doesn't even have to be "Jesus". I guess it does for a "church" but that isn't my point. You don't need someone to tell you that stealing is wrong.
Being sensitive or empathetic isn't a sign of weakness as many would have it. In fact, it is a sign of strength.

It doesn't even have to be "Jesus". I guess it does for a "church" but that isn't my point. You don't need someone to tell you that stealing is wrong.
Being sensitive or empathetic isn't a sign of weakness as many would have it. In fact, it is a sign of strength.
I appreciate the sentiments brother, but I have to be frank and say that I don't feel cut out for this world. I believe I am thoughftul, empathetoc, honest and loyal. The very traits many evil people exploit. I'm just really down, knowing I don't deserve to be put through this grinder but I haven't been able to avoid it for years.

I appreciate the sentiments brother, but I have to be frank and say that I don't feel cut out for this world. I believe I am thoughftul, empathetoc, honest and loyal. The very traits many evil people exploit. I'm just really down, knowing I don't deserve to be put through this grinder but I haven't been able to avoid it for years.

Are you feeling overwhelmed?

How about this, what would you change in your life if you could?

Last edited:
Every time some God Botherer says, "I'll pray for you", my immediate thought is, "Can you do something useful instead."

I'm about useful solutions, praying to an imaginary pixie in the sky isn't useful.
They are. They are gaining more of a Christ conscience every time they do that.

Useful solutions are discovered by turning on the learning centers of the brain. That happens when people are in a happy state of mind. Which giving thanks, being self reflective, prayer, random acts of kindness and dying to self naturally do. Functional advantages aren’t an accident. They happen for logical reasons.

I am just now finding out about my religion... well, no, I have known about it a long time.. but didn't know that what I believed in was not .. happening in the Vatican at all and hasn't been since 1958 -- a great discovery.

However, that said, not all novus ordo Churches are hideous.. I found one not long ago that was awesome

Forum List

Back