Zone1 Losing their religion: why US churches are on the decline

But that's the point, no one who has died for a week has come back to tell us anything.

You have NDE's, but that's just your dying brain giving you a rush, which is why Christians see Jesus, Muslims see Mohammed, etc.

But let's be a bit more serious. The ancient Hebrews didn't believe in an afterlife. Nor did most Bronze age people. "God" or "Zeus" or "Odin" was just how they explained the capricious nature that could kill them at any time. (The ancient egyptians were the exception, of course)

Tweaking God-Botherers is a hobby.. kind of a fun one.
The point I was making may have been missed that's my fault. I was suggesting that NO ONE knows.with any certainty what happens upon death. Not one religious leader of scientist. All I am saying it that sponsor is at least allow possibility of anything. Arrogance and pride are really dangerous traits. We don't know what we don't know...

The point I was making may have been missed that's my fault. I was suggesting that NO ONE knows.with any certainty what happens upon death. Not one religious leader of scientist. All I am saying it that sponsor is at least allow possibility of anything. Arrogance and pride are really dangerous traits. We don't know what we don't know...

The problem is that then we don't know who is right, then.

If the Christians are right, 6 Billion people are wrong.
If the Muslims are right, 6.5 billion people are wrong.
If the Hindus are right, then 7 billion people are wrong.
If atheists are right, then 7.5 Billion people are wrong.

I would like to think that if there is a higher power, he's more concerned about what kind of person you were, and how you treat others, than what church or mosque you went to or how often.

If the Christians are right, 6 Billion people are wrong.
If the Muslims are right, 6.5 billion people are wrong.
If the Hindus are right, then 7 billion people are wrong.
If atheists are right, then 7.5 Billion people are wrong.
Arguing that God does not exist unless everyone believes the exact same things is the dumbest argument ever.

Arguing that God does not exist unless everyone believes the exact same things is the dumbest argument ever.
Before I go back to ignoring you.

Hardly, it's probably the strongest.

If there was an omnipotent, perfect God, then all of humanity would worship him the same and correct way. there would be no room for mistakes or errors in worship. It would be clear and inequivalve.

It seems to me that the pure stupidity of someone going to hell despite being a good person because he was born into the wrong religion or even the wrong part of the world, is the ultimate injustice.

A sad reality in many places. Will new generations live a righteous life without the guidance of a clear moral authority?

Losing their religion: why US churches are on the decline​

Churches are closing at rapid numbers in the US, researchers say, as congregations dwindle across the country and a younger generation of Americans abandon Christianity altogether – even as faith continues to dominate American politics.

As the US adjusts to an increasingly non-religious population, thousands of churches are closing each year in the country – a figure that experts believe may have accelerated since the Covid-19 pandemic.

The situation means some hard decisions for pastors, who have to decide when a dwindling congregation is no longer sustainable. But it has also created a boom market for those wanting to buy churches, with former houses of worship now finding new life.

About 4,500 Protestant churches closed in 2019, the last year data is available, with about 3,000 new churches opening, according to Lifeway Research. It was the first time the number of churches in the US hadn’t grown since the evangelical firm started studying the topic. With the pandemic speeding up a broader trend of Americans turning away from Christianity, researchers say the closures will only have accelerated.

“The closures, even for a temporary period of time, impacted a lot of churches. People breaking that habit of attending church means a lot of churches had to work hard to get people back to attending again,” said Scott McConnell, executive director at Lifeway Research.

“In the last three years, all signs are pointing to a continued pace of closures probably similar to 2019 or possibly higher, as there’s been a really rapid rise in American individuals who say they’re not religious.”
The world, humanity, has evolved beyond the need to be ruled by mythology and legend.

Beating people over the head with God in a world where its existence is questionable at best causes intelligent people to seek other answers.

Before I go back to ignoring you.

Hardly, it's probably the strongest.

If there was an omnipotent, perfect God, then all of humanity would worship him the same and correct way. there would be no room for mistakes or errors in worship. It would be clear and inequivalve.

It seems to me that the pure stupidity of someone going to hell despite being a good person because he was born into the wrong religion or even the wrong part of the world, is the ultimate injustice.
It's the dumbest argument ever. It's the argument a child would make.

You can ignore me until the cows come home but that won't stop me from correcting your errors and shining a spotlight on your motivations.

"We must know how to combat religion..." Vladimir Lenin

The world, humanity, has evolved beyond the need to be ruled by mythology and legend.

Beating people over the head with God in a world where its existence is questionable at best causes intelligent people to seek other answers.
"...The combating of religion cannot be confined to abstract ideological preaching, and it must not be reduced to such preaching. It must be linked up with the concrete practice of the class movement, which aims at eliminating the social roots of religion..." Vladimir Lenin

It's the dumbest argument ever. It's the argument a child would make.

You can ignore me until the cows come home but that won't stop me from correcting your errors and shining a spotlight on your motivations.

Yet you don't have a counter argument.

If God's word is so clear, why does most of the world NOT follow Jesus?

We won't even get into how Xians have been killing each other for 2000 years over whether or not Jesus was made of wafers or the same person as his father.

What if you get to the hereafter and find out that Amaterasu is the supreme deity and Shintoism was right.

amaterasu.png

Holy shit, God is a pissed off Asian woman!
And she wants to have a word with me about "Yellow Fever".

Yet you don't have a counter argument.

If God's word is so clear, why does most of the world NOT follow Jesus?

We won't even get into how Xians have been killing each other for 2000 years over whether or not Jesus was made of wafers or the same person as his father.

What if you get to the hereafter and find out that Amaterasu is the supreme deity and Shintoism was right.

amaterasu.png

Holy shit, God is a pissed off Asian woman!
And she wants to have a word with me about "Yellow Fever".
I do have a counter argument, Vladimir. It's because different people have different perceptions of God. The major religions are more similar than dissimilar. Our perceptions and ways of worshiping God are slightly different but not diametrically opposite which proves God does exist.

According to YOUR logic love does not exist because not everyone loves the same way or loves everyone. According to my logic love does exist because their ways of loving others are slightly different and not diametrically opposite.

But what makes your argument so incredibly stupid is that it doesn't even attempt to analyse the tangible indirect evidence for God which is what God created. It's not an accident that the universe - popped into existence in an unnatural way being implausibly hardwired to produce intelligence. And YOU have no counter argument for that, Vladimir.

Last edited:
The Jackass continues..

I do have a counter argument, Vladimir. It's because different people have different perceptions of God. The major religions are more similar than dissimilar. Our perceptions and ways of worshiping God are slightly different but not diametrically opposite which proves God does exist.

Uh, no, guy. Claiming the Shintos and Christians worship the same God is just... silly. it basically invalidates all religion.

According to YOUR logic love does not exist because not everyone loves the same way or loves everyone. According to my logic love does exist because their ways of loving others are slightly different and not diametrically opposite.
Except love can be documented and proven... Sky pixies cannot.
But what makes your argument so incredibly stupid is that it doesn't even attempt to analyse the tangible indirect evidence for God which is what God created. It's not an accident that the universe - popped into existence in an unnatural way being implausibly hardwired to produce intelligence. And YOU have no counter argument for that, Vladimir.

Except the universe is vast, and we only know of one planet that has life on it.

Infinite numbers of stars and planets, yes, life might evolve somewhere. It doesn't require a sky pixie.

Uh, no, guy. Claiming the Shintos and Christians worship the same God is just... silly. it basically invalidates all religion.
That's a narrow view. Are you suggesting that their beliefs and practices are diametrically opposite? They recognize a higher power than man, they believe in being pure, they respect nature, respect family, they have places of worship and they pray. So they are more similar than they are dissimilar. There's only about 3 million people who practice Shintoism, Joey. Maybe if you had read Huston Smith's book on world religions you would know better than to make such silly arguments of children.

Except love can be documented and proven... Sky pixies cannot.
How can you prove to me that you love someone, Joey? Love is incorporeal. Same as God. How do you prove the incorporeal to someone else? How do you prove what a strawberry tastes like to someone who has never eaten a strawberry?

Besides it's still a perfectly valid analogy. Your believing that unless everyone believes and practices the exact same thing that God cannot exist is as silly as believing unless everyone loves the exact same way that love cannot exist.

Except the universe is vast, and we only know of one planet that has life on it.

Infinite numbers of stars and planets, yes, life might evolve somewhere. It doesn't require a sky pixie.
Yes, the universe is vast but there aren't an infinite number of stars and planets. We have an incredible amount of knowledge about our universe. Such as it literally popped into existence being created from nothing. That's it's creation was implausible because it was created from paired particle production that did not have equal amounts of matter and anti-matter as it should have. That there are an infinite number of structures of matter which could have produced a lifeless universe but only one combination that could have produced a life filled universe. That the laws of nature are such that beings that know and create were predestined. That the very nature of our physical laws point to reason and purpose. And that the laws of nature existed before space and time itself.

I think you need to face the fact that you are making the argument of a 13 year old. Which is probably when you made up your mind that God doesn't exist. It's time to grow up and think like an adult instead of a child, Joey.

But the best argument for God is that you can't get rid of your belief in fairness. Every argument you make is a moral argument. That's because right and wrong is hardwired into you by your creator.

Last edited:
Uh, no, guy. Claiming the Shintos and Christians worship the same God is just... silly.
Good thing my claim was different people have different perceptions of God and that all religions are more similar than dissimilar which proves the existence of God more than it proves the non-existence of God.

Good thing my claim was different people have different perceptions of God and that all religions are more similar than dissimilar which proves the existence of God more than it proves the non-existence of God.
Same thing, and still silly.

2000 years of you murdering each other over petty religious differences doesn't fly with this interfaith pancake breakfast shit.

Same thing, and still silly.

2000 years of you murdering each other over petty religious differences doesn't fly with this interfaith pancake breakfast shit.
Is this your new argument? It's even worse than your other one. I think you need to stop making silly excuses and just admit you only have room to worship one god... yourself. At least that would be an honest argument.

Is this your new argument? It's even worse than your other one. I think you need to stop making silly excuses and just admit you only have room to worship one god... yourself. At least that would be an honest argument.

I exist.

Amaterasu doesn't
Jehovah doesn't.
Zeus doesn't
Allah doesn't
Krishna doesn't

So I can either pray to one of the imaginary sky fairies to solve my problems, or I can solve them myself.

Forum List

Back