Lose Weight thru Exercise?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Many, many makers of exercise equipment claim that their happy and satisfied customers have lost weight due to using their treadmill, stepper, elliptical machine, or whatever.

I notice that they don't directly make the cause-effect claim, but rather use statements like, "I lost 30 pounds since I started using my...!" This doesn't really say that the machine was the reason for the weight loss, but the implication certainly is there. When you dig a little deeper, you learn that the person went on a diet AND started using the machine.

When I was a runner I never gained or lost weight in any measurable amount, regardless of whether I was running 10 miles per week or 25. When you consider that you MIGHT burn an extra hundred calories per mile of running/jogging (over your base metabolism), it would theoretically take running an extra 35 miles to lose a single pound. Assuming no increase in calorie consumption. That is a shitload of work to lose a pound.

So my conclusion is that you cannot lose weight by exercise. Exercise can be a good supplement to a weight-loss diet; it takes your mind off food and does burn some extra calories, but I have never seen anyone lose anything more than an initial 5-10 pounds of "water weight" by exercising. And that invariably comes back after a relatively short period of time.

Anyone have any different experience?

I find that exercise helps me to stick to a diet. Much of my eating isn't due to being hungry, but due to being bored. If I spend an hour on my elliptical machine, that's more than an hour that I'm not eating potato chips while watching tv. I've lost 40 lbs since the beginning of the year through a combination of both diet and exercise. I have a lot of trouble sticking to a diet when I don't exercise.

Many, many makers of exercise equipment claim that their happy and satisfied customers have lost weight due to using their treadmill, stepper, elliptical machine, or whatever.

I notice that they don't directly make the cause-effect claim, but rather use statements like, "I lost 30 pounds since I started using my...!" This doesn't really say that the machine was the reason for the weight loss, but the implication certainly is there. When you dig a little deeper, you learn that the person went on a diet AND started using the machine.

When I was a runner I never gained or lost weight in any measurable amount, regardless of whether I was running 10 miles per week or 25. When you consider that you MIGHT burn an extra hundred calories per mile of running/jogging (over your base metabolism), it would theoretically take running an extra 35 miles to lose a single pound. Assuming no increase in calorie consumption. That is a shitload of work to lose a pound.

So my conclusion is that you cannot lose weight by exercise. Exercise can be a good supplement to a weight-loss diet; it takes your mind off food and does burn some extra calories, but I have never seen anyone lose anything more than an initial 5-10 pounds of "water weight" by exercising. And that invariably comes back after a relatively short period of time.

A doctor told me I would have to walk a mile per week to lose one pound of body weight.

A doctor told me I would have to walk a mile per week to lose one pound of body weight.
Perhaps a mile each day for a week, over and above your regular activity.

Diet is necessary with the exercise because it is too easy to consume more calories than to burn them off with exercise.

Yes, very different.

In fact - depending on which exercise you mean (being that adding muscle will cause weight GAIN), exercise is a scientifically PROVEN weight loss method.

To lose weight I always say its a 75% focus on diet and 25% on exercise.

But @ the o.p -

If you are sedentary and eat x-calories and x = your homeostasis.....

Every single thing you so when you become NON sedentary while keeping the SAME caloric intake will contribute to weight loss.

This isnt guess work or debatable, its established.

Probably lose weight intially, but weight shouldn't be the standard you go by since muscle is 3 times heavier. You'll be burning off the protein first, then the carbs, then lastly the fat. Your measurements should shrink, but your weight may well go up as you replace fat with muscle. Why the whole height-weight metric is worthless. If we relied on that then nearly every athlete would be considered morbidly obese having so much msucle that for their height it would seem they must be fat when they're anything but.

Don't need equipment to exercise and get fit. Didn't use a thing in basic training. It's simply a question of how badly do you want it? And are you going to make it a lifestyle change and commitment? No sense starting an exercise regime unless you're going to make it part of the rest of your life.

When you quit exercising, all that muscle reverts to fat. So exercise is something that if you don't keep at it any gains will be lost once you stop. Look at what happened to Arnold Schwarzenegger when he got into politics and stopped having time to stay tone. He became a fat bastard. :)

arnold_schwarzenegger_fat1.jpg

circa 2012

If you are burning fat and building muscle you will not lose weight, since muscle mass is heavier than fat cells...but exercise for sedentary people is most necessary...

Better suggestion than an exercise regime is some sort of range of motion/stretching thing. Yoga and the like. As we get older flexibility wanes and stretching can do more than worrying about how much we weigh and such.

Probably lose weight intially, but weight shouldn't be the standard you go by since muscle is 3 times heavier. You'll be burning off the protein first, then the carbs, then lastly the fat. Your measurements should shrink, but your weight may well go up as you replace fat with muscle. Why the whole height-weight metric is worthless. If we relied on that then nearly every athlete would be considered morbidly obese having so much msucle that for their height it would seem they must be fat when they're anything but.

Don't need equipment to exercise and get fit. Didn't use a thing in basic training. It's simply a question of how badly do you want it? And are you going to make it a lifestyle change and commitment? No sense starting an exercise regime unless you're going to make it part of the rest of your life.

When you quit exercising, all that muscle reverts to fat. So exercise is something that if you don't keep at it any gains will be lost once you stop. Look at what happened to Arnold Schwarzenegger when he got into politics and stopped having time to stay tone. He became a fat bastard. :)

circa 2012
Believe me, I know personally...My 54 inch chest I used to have are now like flabby grapes....not to mention, the arthritis your get from years of heavy weight lifting.....fortunately, I was able to steer my sons away from that whey of life....

circa 2012
Believe me, I know personally...My 54 inch chest I used to have are now like flabby grapes....

Best shape of my life was in boot. But I was rather miserable too. :) Now I Just eat sensibly, don't stress, and maintain flexibility more than deliberately exercise.

I've always been an intellectual. :)

circa 2012
Believe me, I know personally...My 54 inch chest I used to have are now like flabby grapes....

Best shape of my life was in boot. But I was rather miserable too. :) Now I Just eat sensibly, don't stress, and maintain flexibility more than deliberately exercise.

Basic training was like a vacation for me, it was easier than two a days at football camp....

circa 2012

You are not an intellectual. You lack the smarts.

If you do the math though, it's easier to lose weight via diet because to burn off the calories of eating a twinkie takes at least 10-15 minutes. The best solution is both as you mentioned - diet and exercise. Tracking calories helps too because there's a lot of hidden calories like salad dressing and oil used to cook.

Last night, a friend I am training and I did this: squats (1 warm up set, 4 sets increasing weight). Thighs being the biggest muscle in the body are the greatest catalyst for calorie burning.

We proceeded to doing 6 sets of pushups, first three sets deep, second 3 sets flat handed and coupled with cable flys.

We then did 5 sets of planks, each set followed by side, front and bent over raises in sequence.

We then did 6 sets of burpees w/pushup, to jumping jacks.

We then did 4 3-minute rounds on the heavy bag and 4 3-minute rounds on the mountain climbing machine.

Went upstairs. Ate a whole roasted chicken and some mushrooms and spinach. Went out front and played basketball on a baby hoop with my three year old.

Boom shakka lakka ready for war ready for war

When I first started working out and running, I lost 17 pounds in about three months. At the same time, I began eating substantially more. My weight now holds between 137 to 145, just depending how much running I actually get in every week. When I run 25 to 30 miles per week, my weight tends to drop below 140. If I only run 15 miles in a week, my weight tends to move above 140. I consume between 3000 and 4000 calories per day. Besides running, I lift weights three days per week.

The thing about burning calories is that all the exercise you do will help build muscle. When you begin losing fat and replace that with a little extra muscle, you burn more calories all day long. It's not just about burning extra calories during your workout. That is why I can eat so much without gaining weight.

Some things I think I know:

(1) Muscle does not "turn to fat." Alchemy does not exist. One thing cannot become another thing other than through chemical reaction, which is not the case with fat/muscle.

(2) Of course, exercise burns calories.

(3) Of course, if you burn more calories than you consume, you will (eventually) lose some weight.

(3)(a) If you have been sedentary for a long time, and start an exercise program that causes you to sweat profusely, you will lose up to 5% of your body weight in the first month, just because of the "water weight" loss.

(4) There is no doubt that if you scrupulously maintain the same caloric intake after starting a new exercise regimen, then you will (eventually) lose some weight. The question is whether this is feasible without rigorous controls. Exercise makes you hungry.

(5) Without exercise, weight loss will be a combination of lost fat AND muscle, and after loss of significant weight (no exercise), you will merely look like a smaller fat person, not a physically fit skinny person. The "yo-yo" effect is that if you constantly lose weight and gain it back, your percentage of fat content will ratchet up higher every time you gain it back.

(6) Adding muscle mass requires both intelligent anaerobic exercise and an increase in consumption of animal-based protein.

(7) Aerobic exercise NEVER adds muscle; usually it results in loss of muscle in the areas not directly exercised (chest, arms). [Have you ever seen a top distance runner who looked physically fit?]

(8) The classic "aerobic exercise," distance running on level ground, is not particularly good for your heart or lungs. Most people who know what they are talking about recommend interval training rather than distance running for best overall heath and results.

(9) Swimming is HUGELY over-rated as exercise. If HS and college swimmers spend one-fifth the time in the gym as they do in the pool, they would look like Greek gods. If you are an excellent swimmer, then you are barely exerting yourself when swimming laps.

(10) Drinking bottled water to improve your health is about the stupidest craze of the past 100 years. Yet the number of people on this insane bandwagon - including "health professionals" - is astounding.

Forum List

Back