Looks Like Walmart is Hurting... Wonder Why?

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
Breaking News

Wal-Mart Trends Weakest in a Decade

NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT), on track to report disappointing sales for November, is now under increased pressure to deliver a strong finish to the holidays.

The Bentonville, Ark., retailer said Saturday it expects a 0.1% decline in its November same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least a year, a closely watched measure of a retailer's performance. That would mark the first such monthly decline for Wal-Mart since April 1996, when a shift in the timing of the Easter holiday helped fuel a 0.6% drop.

Wal-Mart's Saturday outlook falls short of its earlier forecast for flat same-store sales in November, and will add to Wal-Mart's difficulty as it struggles to meet its previous forecast for a 1% to 2% same-store sales increase for the fourth quarter. To make the number, Wal-Mart will have to post a December increase of at least 2%, Goldman Sachs' Adrienne Shapira noted.

"The bottom line is that now more is resting on December's shoulders," Shapira wrote in a research note.

Wal-Mart shares on the New York Stock Exchange recently were at $46.81, off $1.09, or 2.3%, from the close of regular trading on Friday. Volume was more than 12.7 million shares, versus average daily volume of about 15.2 million.

On the bright side, Wal-Mart faces easier comparisons with December 2005, when same-store sales rose just 2.2% versus the 4.3% gain posted in November 2005. In fact, Wal-Mart's flat performance in November implies that it's on track to deliver the December increase that's needed to meet its fourth-quarter sales view, according to analysis by Merrill Lynch & Co.

Still, Wal-Mart of late has delivered more disappointments than positive surprises this fall. In October, the company's same-store sales rose just 0.5%, short of an initial forecast for 2% to 4% growth.

"December is no lay-up for the big discounters," Merrill Lynch analyst Virginia Genereux wrote in a Monday research note, noting that many shoppers have been flocking to consumer-electronics chains. "Wal-Mart may run out of key items by Christmas, as it did last year, and apparel is likely to remain challenging."

Indeed, things didn't go altogether smoothly for Wal-Mart on the day after Thanksgiving, known as "Black Friday" among retailers for the profits they aim to rack up as they ring in the holiday season. The retailer's Walmart.com Web site shut down intermittently throughout the morning and afternoon amid heavy shopper traffic.

Wal-Mart for weeks had fiercely hyped its Black Friday discounts, which included a 42-inch plasma TV, which it was selling for less than $1,000. Leading up to Black Friday, Wal-Mart since mid-October also had staged an aggressive publicity campaign, which every week or so announced a new round of discounts on toys, electronics, appliances and food. Deborah Weinswig, an analyst at Citigroup Inc., adds that Wal-Mart's recent rollout of 30-day generic drug prescriptions for $4 should have boosted traffic.

In reality, it's not clear that Wal-Mart's discounts are any deeper or more widespread than they were a year ago. Last year, for example, Wal-Mart had offered a 42-inch plasma TV for under $1,000, and also had touted price cuts on more than 10,000 items - the same number of items as this year. In an interview last week, Wal-Mart Chief Marketing Officer John Fleming stopped short of saying Wal-Mart's overall discounting really is deeper.

"We wanted to reaffirm our price perception," Fleming said. "We've put more resources against the messaging to bring that to the attention of customers."

Store-remodeling efforts that hampered sales in October continued through the first half of the month, and newly remodeled stores didn't appear to boost sales during the latter weeks as much as the company had hoped. Meanwhile, results continue to be hurt by a botched apparel strategy this fall that tried to push overly trendy fashions on Wal-Mart's Middle-American clientele.

Wal-Mart's stagnant sales have been particularly surprising in light of the recent drop in gasoline prices, said Bill Dreher, an analyst at Deutsche Bank Securities Inc. in New York. With prices at the pump off more than 25% from late-summer levels, many on Wall Street had expected that lower-income customers would begin to loosen their wallets by now.

Gasoline prices recently have stabilized and shown a slight uptick versus a year ago, when prices fell after a hurricane-driven spike in early fall 2005, Dreher said in a Sunday research note.

"Now that the heaviest period of hurricane activity last year has been cycled, we are hoping to see some lift to lower-income consumer spending patterns," Dreher said.

- By James Covert, Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-5360; [email protected]

http://www.smartmoney.com/bn/ON/index.cfm?story=ON-20061127-000411-1301

You know last year Wal-mart was doing the same thing on these extra special sales and baited everyone on those stupid lap tops. But I think people are tired of only having like a 1/2 dozen lap tops or 2 flat screens when you've been dumb enough to wait outside for 6 hours. Not to mention I believe that there are several anti wal-mart interest groups that are about wrecking the stores creditability they have and if that ain't enough with stores literary world wide they could effectively leave the US market in time.

Breaking News

Wal-Mart Trends Weakest in a Decade

NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT), on track to report disappointing sales for November, is now under increased pressure to deliver a strong finish to the holidays.

The Bentonville, Ark., retailer said Saturday it expects a 0.1% decline in its November same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least a year, a closely watched measure of a retailer's performance. That would mark the first such monthly decline for Wal-Mart since April 1996, when a shift in the timing of the Easter holiday helped fuel a 0.6% drop.

Wal-Mart's Saturday outlook falls short of its earlier forecast for flat same-store sales in November, and will add to Wal-Mart's difficulty as it struggles to meet its previous forecast for a 1% to 2% same-store sales increase for the fourth quarter. To make the number, Wal-Mart will have to post a December increase of at least 2%, Goldman Sachs' Adrienne Shapira noted.

"The bottom line is that now more is resting on December's shoulders," Shapira wrote in a research note.

Wal-Mart shares on the New York Stock Exchange recently were at $46.81, off $1.09, or 2.3%, from the close of regular trading on Friday. Volume was more than 12.7 million shares, versus average daily volume of about 15.2 million.

On the bright side, Wal-Mart faces easier comparisons with December 2005, when same-store sales rose just 2.2% versus the 4.3% gain posted in November 2005. In fact, Wal-Mart's flat performance in November implies that it's on track to deliver the December increase that's needed to meet its fourth-quarter sales view, according to analysis by Merrill Lynch & Co.

Still, Wal-Mart of late has delivered more disappointments than positive surprises this fall. In October, the company's same-store sales rose just 0.5%, short of an initial forecast for 2% to 4% growth.

"December is no lay-up for the big discounters," Merrill Lynch analyst Virginia Genereux wrote in a Monday research note, noting that many shoppers have been flocking to consumer-electronics chains. "Wal-Mart may run out of key items by Christmas, as it did last year, and apparel is likely to remain challenging."

Indeed, things didn't go altogether smoothly for Wal-Mart on the day after Thanksgiving, known as "Black Friday" among retailers for the profits they aim to rack up as they ring in the holiday season. The retailer's Walmart.com Web site shut down intermittently throughout the morning and afternoon amid heavy shopper traffic.

Wal-Mart for weeks had fiercely hyped its Black Friday discounts, which included a 42-inch plasma TV, which it was selling for less than $1,000. Leading up to Black Friday, Wal-Mart since mid-October also had staged an aggressive publicity campaign, which every week or so announced a new round of discounts on toys, electronics, appliances and food. Deborah Weinswig, an analyst at Citigroup Inc., adds that Wal-Mart's recent rollout of 30-day generic drug prescriptions for $4 should have boosted traffic.

In reality, it's not clear that Wal-Mart's discounts are any deeper or more widespread than they were a year ago. Last year, for example, Wal-Mart had offered a 42-inch plasma TV for under $1,000, and also had touted price cuts on more than 10,000 items - the same number of items as this year. In an interview last week, Wal-Mart Chief Marketing Officer John Fleming stopped short of saying Wal-Mart's overall discounting really is deeper.

"We wanted to reaffirm our price perception," Fleming said. "We've put more resources against the messaging to bring that to the attention of customers."

Store-remodeling efforts that hampered sales in October continued through the first half of the month, and newly remodeled stores didn't appear to boost sales during the latter weeks as much as the company had hoped. Meanwhile, results continue to be hurt by a botched apparel strategy this fall that tried to push overly trendy fashions on Wal-Mart's Middle-American clientele.

Wal-Mart's stagnant sales have been particularly surprising in light of the recent drop in gasoline prices, said Bill Dreher, an analyst at Deutsche Bank Securities Inc. in New York. With prices at the pump off more than 25% from late-summer levels, many on Wall Street had expected that lower-income customers would begin to loosen their wallets by now.

Gasoline prices recently have stabilized and shown a slight uptick versus a year ago, when prices fell after a hurricane-driven spike in early fall 2005, Dreher said in a Sunday research note.

"Now that the heaviest period of hurricane activity last year has been cycled, we are hoping to see some lift to lower-income consumer spending patterns," Dreher said.

- By James Covert, Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-5360; [email protected]

http://www.smartmoney.com/bn/ON/index.cfm?story=ON-20061127-000411-1301

I would not bury Wal Mart yet. Please consider one little fact - gift cards

When people buy a gift card they are not counted as a sale until they are used.

The biggest shopping day is usually the Sat before Christmas

Whether a gift card is counted on purchase or use depends on the retailer.

http://www.csnews.com/csn/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003410031

Maybe Wal-Mart should consider changing the way it treats its workers and it's sale will go up. :)

From your article jilly:

The NRF noted that most retailers do not count the gift card as a purchase at the time of sale; rather, they wait until the gift card is redeemed and merchandise is purchased. Because of this, some of the $24.81 billion spent on the cards will not be seen until after the holiday season.

Why not admit the real reason libs hate Wal Mart? They will not let unions in their stores.

Unions will rape their workers out of some their money (union dues) and in turn give huge sums to the Dems in the form of donations

Like with the tobacco companies, Dems see a cash cow and cannot wait to get their hands on the money

Maybe you should start an "Embargo China" thread and run with it. Just a thought.

Still waiting for RWA to tell us how many items he has in his home that are made in China

Some people will never understand Economics 101 or how capitalism works.

There actually is a connection between china and wal-mart, or haven't you heard?

Libs are keying in to something here, but their solution is wrong. Embargoing China would be better. Say no to slave labor.

Still waiting for RWA to tell us how many items he has in his home that are made in China

Some people will never understand Economics 101 or how capitalism works.

Hey. That's as lame as the liberal "You chickenhawks can't advocate war" b.s. Just so you know. You're a liberal.

And fyi, I understand capitalism, but I also believe there should be moral parameters on what is considered a legal product. Like it should be illegal for you to pimp out your mom, though I know you love it so.

Hey. That's as lame as the liberal "You chickenhawks can't advocate war" b.s. Just so you know. You're a liberal.

And fyi, I understand capitalism, but I also believe there should be moral parameters on what is considered a legal product. Like it should be illegal for you to pimp out your mom, though I know you love it so.

Starting off with the personal attacks right off, eh?

The ONLY reason libs hate Wal Mart is they will not permit the unions to come in and do to Wal Mart what they did to GM

There actually is a connection between china and wal-mart, or haven't you heard?

Libs are keying in to something here, but their solution is wrong. Embargoing China would be better. Say no to slave labor.

Pull that bug outta your ass. I know full well there is a conection between China and a hell of a lot of other American outlets that sell Chinese goods. Americans however are unwilling to make the neccessary sacrifices to accomplish anything.

Pull that bug outta your ass. I know full well there is a conection between China and a hell of a lot of other American outlets that sell Chinese goods. Americans however are unwilling to make the neccessary sacrifices to accomplish anything.

SO case closed? No. It's not that easy. I challenge you to rise to your higher self, instead of listening to Satan's admonitions to quit.:whip3:

SO case closed? No. It's not that easy. I challenge you to rise to your higher self, instead of listening to Satan's admonitions to quit.:whip3:

Rally the masses to you hearts' content---form an alliance with NW---get back to me when get frustrated with American apathy.

Starting off with the personal attacks right off, eh?

The ONLY reason libs hate Wal Mart is they will not permit the unions to come in and do to Wal Mart what they did to GM

It's not a personal attack as much as it an example as what I'm talking about. We as a society put moral parameters on acceptable products and business practices. You as an individual do it, hence the offense taken at the remark. You have fallen into the trap which has proven my point. I'm a m-f'in mountain man.

Why should slave labor be back on the table in any sort of modern trade capacity? It is sick and wrong.

And maybe unionization should be considered appropriate by the average american workers, considering the new "anything for a buck", "You're a commie if you don't support child slave labor" mentality which seems to be pervading many in the membrane.

It's not a personal attack as much as it an example as what I'm talking about. We as a society put moral parameters on acceptable products and business practices. You as an individual do it, hence the offense taken at the remark. You have fallen into the trap which has proven my point. I'm a m-f'in mountain man.

Why should slave labor be back on the table in any sort of modern trade capacity? It is sick and wrong.

And maybe unionization should be considered appropriate by the average american workers, considering the new "anything for a buck", "You're a commie if you don't support child slave labor" mentality which seems to be pervading many in the membrane.

Wal Mart is a God send to the working families in America. They can go and get what they need at a fair price

If libs REALLY cared about the working class, they would be thanking Wal Mart instead of trying to put them out of business

Forum List

Back