Looks Like the Public Isn't Interested In Cutting Spending

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
In a recent ABC/Washington Post poll, Americans were in no mood to cut entitlement programs. Americans strongly reject Medicare cuts and broadly support higher taxes on the wealthy, underscoring the political risks in Republican debt-reduction plans.

The poll, conducted for ABC News by Langer Research Associates, finds that 65 percent of Americans oppose changing Medicare to a system in which the government would give seniors vouchers with which to buy private insurance. Opposition was essentially the same in a Kaiser Family Foundation/Harvard School of Public Health survey when the idea came up 15 years ago.

The language may matter, in that even most Republicans, 56 percent, oppose Medicare vouchers, as do more than seven in 10 Democrats. And opposition soars to 84 percent of all Americans, including nearly three-quarters of Republicans, if government payments failed to meet the full cost of seniors' insurance coverage.

CUT? -- And what to cut is hardly a simple matter. Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid and military spending consume nearly two-thirds of federal spending. But 78 percent in this survey oppose cuts in Medicare in order to address the federal debt (indeed 65 percent "strongly" oppose it); 69 percent oppose cuts in Medicaid, the insurance program for the poor (52 percent strongly); and fewer, but still 56 percent, oppose cutting military spending.

Far more popular is taxing people perceived as being most able to pay: Seventy-two percent support achieving debt-reduction by raising taxes on people with household incomes more than $250,000 a year.

Medicare Cuts Proposed by Republicans Face Broad Opposition in ABC News Poll - ABC News

In a recent ABC/Washington Post poll, Americans were in no mood to cut entitlement programs. Americans strongly reject Medicare cuts and broadly support higher taxes on the wealthy, underscoring the political risks in Republican debt-reduction plans.

The poll, conducted for ABC News by Langer Research Associates, finds that 65 percent of Americans oppose changing Medicare to a system in which the government would give seniors vouchers with which to buy private insurance. Opposition was essentially the same in a Kaiser Family Foundation/Harvard School of Public Health survey when the idea came up 15 years ago.

The language may matter, in that even most Republicans, 56 percent, oppose Medicare vouchers, as do more than seven in 10 Democrats. And opposition soars to 84 percent of all Americans, including nearly three-quarters of Republicans, if government payments failed to meet the full cost of seniors' insurance coverage.

CUT? -- And what to cut is hardly a simple matter. Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid and military spending consume nearly two-thirds of federal spending. But 78 percent in this survey oppose cuts in Medicare in order to address the federal debt (indeed 65 percent "strongly" oppose it); 69 percent oppose cuts in Medicaid, the insurance program for the poor (52 percent strongly); and fewer, but still 56 percent, oppose cutting military spending.

Far more popular is taxing people perceived as being most able to pay: Seventy-two percent support achieving debt-reduction by raising taxes on people with household incomes more than $250,000 a year.

Medicare Cuts Proposed by Republicans Face Broad Opposition in ABC News Poll - ABC News

So why doesn't Obama lead it off, by sending his 'refund' to the general debt?

That poll just proves that most people don't understand that even if we took all the wealth generated by the evil rich it still wouldn't cover the US Government to the end of the year. Even if it did, what would we do the next year? :confused:

The real problem is the Federal Reserve and International Bankers.

That is why true fiscal conservatives supported the PO or single payer health care. We really have a lot of room to minimize our HC costs and improve HC outcomes. Unfortunately, we didn't get true HC reform, but a re-hashed GOP bill that hardly saves anything at all.

Anyways, I don't blame the American public. Why should "entitlement programs" (i.e. programs that people actually pay into and are 'entitled' to) be cut, especially when they didn't cause our current budget mess or financial crisis. However, that is what Republicans are going after along with workers' right, NPR, PP, and the EPA.

I won't disagree that there is waste in these programs and that some reform is needed. However, it is ludicrous to go after the working class and lower income people to make them pay for something that they didn't cause. Sadly, these people are the GOP's fabricated nemesis.

I think what the public is telling us, is they want a fair and balanced approach to deficit reduction. To require that the poor and our seniors make all of the sacrifices while those that have the most, sacrifice nothing is not going to wash with voters in either party.

I think that's called a "push poll" in the vernacular. Like this question:
19. I'm going to read you two statements about the future of the Medicare program. After I read both statements, please tell me which one comes closer to your own view:
Medicare should remain as it is today, with a defined set of benefits for people over 65, OR Medicare should be changed so that people over 65 would receive a check or voucher from the government each year for a fixed amount they can use to shop for their own private health insurance policy.

Now, if you added, do you think Medicare should be allowed to grow to consume 50% of the U.S. budget, I suspect the results would vary greatly.

The Libs will resort to ad homelum attacks and use these push polls. If they use common since like a real American... Scandals are brewing.

Last edited:
I do not doubt that this poll might very well have been designed to evoke a certain response.

After all, most polls today do seem to be designed to arrive at the outcome the designers are hoping for.

But nevertheless the people responded to something that is real even if it is not the whole story.

People DO want medicade and medicare to surive. Hence the outcome of this poll.

However if the poll had included information about how those HC insurance liabilities are going to bankrupt the nation, the outcome would have been different.

But how do you think people would REACT (not vote, but react) if suddenly their grandmother wasn't getting the HC she needed?

Do you think they'd say, that's okay?

Even knowing that the nation is going bankrupt, what do you think the average American is going to think when GM doesn't get her health care?

Do you RW cranks on this board still think the average American is going to support your anti-government Randian POVs?

I think that public sentiment will stop on dime and reverse itself within a month.

I honest think the BEST thing that could happen to this nation is for you RAndians to get your way, to shut down the Federal government just so the American people can see what that society would look like.

I suspect a few of you here, those of you counting on your military retirement checks and the VA, are going to suddenly remember that YOU TOO are dependents of the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

WE'll see how serious you guys are about shutting down the nanny state government when YOUR NANNY gets gored.

I do not doubt that this poll might very well have been designed to evoke a certain response.

After all, most polls today do seem to be designed to arrive at the outcome the designers are hoping for.

But nevertheless the people responded to something that is real even if it is not the whole story.

However if the poll had included information about how those HC insurance liabilities are going to bankrupt the nation, the outcome would have been different.

But how do you think people would REACT (not vote, but react) if suddenly their grandmother wasn't getting the HC she needed?

Even knowing that the nation is going bankrupt, what do you think the average American is going to think when GM doesn't get her health care?

Do you RW cranks on this board still think the average American is going to support your anti-government Randian POVs?

I think that public sentiment will stop on dime and reverse itself within a month.

I honest think the BEST thing that could happen to this nation is for you RAndians to get your way, to shut down the Federal government just so the American people can see what that society would look like.

I suspect a few of you here, those of you counting on your military retirement checks and the VA, are going to suddenly remember that YOU TOO are dependents of the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

WE'll see how serious you guys are about shutting down the nanny state government when YOUR NANNY gets gored.

Well, my two grandmas are both dead.
How do you think people will react when asked if they would support paying an extra $3,000/year in taxes to support some fat slob smoker who's had his third MI?
Democrats breed irresponsible behavior and foist this off on everyone else.

I'd lvoe to see the results of a poll that asked "would you support increasing your own taxes to save Medicare, or would you prefer to see the program changed to become more efficient?"

However, the major opposing medicare/medicaid cuts is not composed of the same actual folks who oppose military cuts. There in lies the path forward for patriot civil leaders willing to reduce/freeze both social spending and reduce miltary spending to get USA finances in order.

BTW, if the folks are convincingly shown how a service currently costing $100 can be more effeciently provided for $70 or $50 they will go along with smaller medicare/medicaid budgets to reflect that reality.

That is why true fiscal conservatives supported the PO or single payer health care. We really have a lot of room to minimize our HC costs and improve HC outcomes. Unfortunately, we didn't get true HC reform, but a re-hashed GOP bill that hardly saves anything at all.

Anyways, I don't blame the American public. Why should "entitlement programs" (i.e. programs that people actually pay into and are 'entitled' to) be cut, especially when they didn't cause our current budget mess or financial crisis. However, that is what Republicans are going after along with workers' right, NPR, PP, and the EPA.

I won't disagree that there is waste in these programs and that some reform is needed. However, it is ludicrous to go after the working class and lower income people to make them pay for something that they didn't cause. Sadly, these people are the GOP's fabricated nemesis.

The proposal from Obama increases costs. It's the worst of ALL possible solutions. It increases costs and tries to balance the increase in cost by increases taxes which are in turn collected from the people who could not afford to pay the costs BEFORE they were increased.

The smartest man on the planet doesn't know that companies don't pay taxes, they only collect them.

Any effort to reduce costs is an effort to reduce costs. That seems to be the part of the puzzle that got past you.

As long as you buy in to the premise that only one segment of the society needs to sacrifice to answer this question, you have been pulled right into the Class Warfare startegy of the Democrat Demagogues and we will not solve this. Ever.

We are spending 3 and a half trillion dollars annually on the waste and inefficiency that is our government. If you had the $100.00 bills to stack up to pay our debt, it would stack up to about 8000 miles tall.

We are in very deep doo doo and it won't get better with class warfare.

Last edited:
I think what the public is telling us, is they want a fair and balanced approach to deficit reduction. To require that the poor and our seniors make all of the sacrifices while those that have the most, sacrifice nothing is not going to wash with voters in either party.

Without in any way denying that "the Poor" need help, why is reducing the amount of aid that they recieve from the generosity of those around them regarded as a sacrifice?

Let's be honest. We are paying the poor to not riot in the street.

They are accepting the payments, and for the most part, don't riot.

This is a deal with the devil. When the payments can no longer be afforded, we're screwed.

Standard and Poors has downgraded the Credit Outlook of the USA to "Negative".

What happens to Grandma when the programs end due to overdue billing? Will Granny be less sick when the programs are revised and still operating or when they simply end?

When Granny is dying in the street, will it comfort her to know that Nancy Pelosi really, really wants to help her, but can't because the evil bankers won't lend the cash?

I suspect that a solution, as opposed to a talking point, is what Granny really wants. Lying about the issues is not the way to a solution.

S&P | 'AAA/A-1+' Rating On United States of America Affirmed; Outlook Revised To Negative | Americas

•We have affirmed our 'AAA/A-1+' sovereign credit ratings on the United
States of America.
•The economy of the U.S. is flexible and highly diversified, the country's
effective monetary policies have supported output growth while containing
inflationary pressures, and a consistent global preference for the U.S.
dollar over all other currencies gives the country unique external
liquidity.
•Because the U.S. has, relative to its 'AAA' peers, what we consider to be
very large budget deficits and rising government indebtedness and the
path to addressing these is not clear to us, we have revised our outlook
on the long-term rating to negative from stable
•We believe there is a material risk that U.S. policymakers might not
reach an agreement on how to address medium- and long-term budgetary
challenges by 2013; if an agreement is not reached and meaningful
implementation is not begun by then, this would in our view render the
U.S. fiscal profile meaningfully weaker than that of peer 'AAA'
sovereigns.