Looks like it's almost time

Debating a Ryzen 5 processor vs an Intel i5 processor.
i5.
Whose board and whose SS drive ? I like Gigabyte Ultras and Kingston drives but my electric SUX ! They live through anything.
How much ram you kids use these years?
I still survive on 8 but I don't game

I just went and looked at this board
Z390 DESIGNARE (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global
Haven't gotten that far but I'll go with DDR4 RAM, 16GB, the mobo will depend on whether its an AMD or Intel chip. Still debating between a SSD or HDD drive, 1 to 2 TB. Might have to upgrade my power supply to a 750W minimum (have a 650W now). May use the same gaming tower and just add more fans plus I have a liquid cooled heat sink I just bought. Still researching graphics cards.
Want to keep the total cost around $500 - $600.

Hmm, $600.. I like to do these things.

If I had $600..hmm, let's see how far I could make it go.

Power Supply (Always 1st) $60

Open Box: Rosewill Hive Series 750W Modular Gaming Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified, Single +12V Rail, Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready, SLI & CrossFire Ready - Hive-750 - Newegg.com

Motherboard $150

ASUS Prime X470-Pro AM4 AMD X470 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

RAM $75

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C16D-16GVRB - Newegg.com

SSD $40 (2) Put OS on one + storage on other or 2 OSes or whatever.

Patriot Burst 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) PBU120GS25SSDR - Newegg.com

GPU (This is a big 'un) $120

Refurbished: PNY GeForce GTX 1060 3GB XLR8 OC Dual Fan GDDR5 VCGGTX10603XGPB-OC-BB Video Card GPU - Newegg.com

CPU $120

AMD RYZEN 5 1600 6-Core 3.2 GHz (3.6 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 YD1600BBAEBOX Desktop Processor - Newegg.com

Total: $565
I wouldn't need the GPU, the one I have is fine for now, I'd keep my current hard drive so there's $160 off of the price.
While I know it's "old" I'm leaning towards replacing the current mobo and looking for a better (higher end) gaming AM3+ mobo and replace the power supply.
Any suggestions on a higher end AM3+ mobo?
Why? There's only 1
The board I linked is just under a Crosshair IV. It will work for you. It has all the backbone and muscle, but not the easy CMOS reset.
There's only 1 higher end AM3+ mobo: Crosshair V. If I was you, I'd get on that Ryzen right now.

Debating a Ryzen 5 processor vs an Intel i5 processor.
i5.
Whose board and whose SS drive ? I like Gigabyte Ultras and Kingston drives but my electric SUX ! They live through anything.

Haven't gotten that far but I'll go with DDR4 RAM, 16GB, the mobo will depend on whether its an AMD or Intel chip. Still debating between a SSD or HDD drive, 1 to 2 TB. Might have to upgrade my power supply to a 750W minimum (have a 650W now). May use the same gaming tower and just add more fans plus I have a liquid cooled heat sink I just bought. Still researching graphics cards.

Open Box: Rosewill Hive Series 750W Modular Gaming Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified, Single +12V Rail, Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready, SLI & CrossFire Ready - Hive-750 - Newegg.com

Motherboard $150

RAM $75

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C16D-16GVRB - Newegg.com

Patriot Burst 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) PBU120GS25SSDR - Newegg.com

Refurbished: PNY GeForce GTX 1060 3GB XLR8 OC Dual Fan GDDR5 VCGGTX10603XGPB-OC-BB Video Card GPU - Newegg.com

CPU $120

AMD RYZEN 5 1600 6-Core 3.2 GHz (3.6 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 YD1600BBAEBOX Desktop Processor - Newegg.com

I wouldn't need the GPU, the one I have is fine for now, I'd keep my current hard drive so there's $160 off of the price.
While I know it's "old" I'm leaning towards replacing the current mobo and looking for a better (higher end) gaming AM3+ mobo and replace the power supply.
Why? There's only 1
The board I linked is just under a Crosshair IV. It will work for you. It has all the backbone and muscle, but not the easy CMOS reset.
There's only 1 higher end AM3+ mobo: Crosshair V.
Just wondering.

i5.

Motherboard $150

RAM $75

CPU $120

Why? There's only 1
Just wondering.

IPC has come a long ways since k10, baby. I'd like for it to go much further, but we'll see what happens. :dunno: I think the tariffs are going to hit and all that stuff is going to go up.

Motherboard $150

RAM $75

CPU $120

Why? There's only 1
Just wondering.

IPC has come a long ways since k10, baby. I'd like for it to go much further, but we'll see what happens. :dunno: I think the tariffs are going to hit and all that stuff is going to go up.
What do you think of this one?

Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula C5F motherboard AM3+ 990FX ATX

Just wondering cause if I start spending close to $200 for a old mobo it would be better to shell out a little more for new tech.

Why? There's only 1
Just wondering.

Just wondering cause if I start spending close to $200 for a old mobo it would be better to shell out a little more for new tech.

You could get a new tech mobo and CPU for that. It'd be a quad core and lower-grade, yet still good mobo. Would most likely do more in less time than the lower IPC hexcore.

Last edited:
Why? There's only 1
Just wondering.

You could get a new tech mobo and CPU for that. It'd be a quad core and lower-grade, yet still good mobo.
The existing CPU in my unit now is a Phenom II X6 1050T

Why? There's only 1
Just wondering.

You could get a new tech mobo and CPU for that. It'd be a quad core and lower-grade, yet still good mobo.
The existing CPU in my unit now is a Phenom II X6 1050T

I read that before. PM me.

Motherboard $150

RAM $75

CPU $120

Why? There's only 1
Just wondering.

Buy in Panama city :dance:

Okay, I bit the bullet (kinda sorta). Upgrading to a Ryzen 5 on an AM4 board, new power supply and new RAM.

So? For what purpose?
Because I knew you would ask a stupid question........
Costly fun.
Pretty much, my gamer was beginning to have some minor issues with mobo components, figure it was time to upgrade. Hell it's not like I'm buying a Ryzen 9........
This new desktop CPU could be interesting. Maybe you want to wait a little for it.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fantonyleather%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F05%2F3rd-gen-ryzen-performance.jpg

AMD In Shock Intel-Smashing Performance Claim: Is Cinebench Score Really True?

So? For what purpose?
Costly fun.
Pretty much, my gamer was beginning to have some minor issues with mobo components, figure it was time to upgrade. Hell it's not like I'm buying a Ryzen 9........
This new desktop CPU could be interesting. Maybe you want to wait a little for it.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fantonyleather%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F05%2F3rd-gen-ryzen-performance.jpg

Maybe but by the time my wait is over my gamer will be long dead..........

So? For what purpose?
Costly fun.

Maybe but by the time my wait is over my gamer will be long dead..........
Good point.

So? For what purpose?
Costly fun.

Seriously? An article from an obviously biased Intel shill?

Fuck him! He ain't shit! He's a paid hack.

So? For what purpose?
Costly fun.

Seriously? An article from an obviously biased Intel shill?

Fuck him! He ain't shit! He's a paid hack.
I don´t know the contributor.

Forum List

Back