Looks like it's almost time

Haven't built one since my bitcoin miners a few years ago, and those were weird multi-gpu rigs built for that purpose, but they gamed like hell, with 4 GPU's set up in crossfire mode.

Kind of miss building PCs actually, but any gaming I do, and there isn't much of it, I do on the PS4, and I've got so much hardware at this point it almost seems a sin to build something that I know I won't use all that much.

so, watcha building?

looks like the Ryzen to me. you can overclock it, and it seems to beat the i5 in some other areas as well....

about 3 years ago I put together a system w/ magicmicro --you pick out the components but they to the heavy lifting of making sure everything's compatible & burnt in. I picked out stuff that was future proof for a couple years & then I replaced the vid card. What I really like about those guys is whatever u buy comes w/ unlimited tech support w/ a human that actually answers the phone when u call.

Debating a Ryzen 5 processor vs an Intel i5 processor.
i5.
Whose board and whose SS drive ? I like Gigabyte Ultras and Kingston drives but my electric SUX ! They live through anything.
How much ram you kids use these years?
I still survive on 8 but I don't game

I just went and looked at this board
Z390 DESIGNARE (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global
Haven't gotten that far but I'll go with DDR4 RAM, 16GB, the mobo will depend on whether its an AMD or Intel chip. Still debating between a SSD or HDD drive, 1 to 2 TB. Might have to upgrade my power supply to a 750W minimum (have a 650W now). May use the same gaming tower and just add more fans plus I have a liquid cooled heat sink I just bought. Still researching graphics cards.
Want to keep the total cost around $500 - $600.

Haven't built one since my bitcoin miners a few years ago, and those were weird multi-gpu rigs built for that purpose, but they gamed like hell, with 4 GPU's set up in crossfire mode.

Kind of miss building PCs actually, but any gaming I do, and there isn't much of it, I do on the PS4, and I've got so much hardware at this point it almost seems a sin to build something that I know I won't use all that much.

so, watcha building?
See post #7.
What I have now is:
Gigbyte GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 (Socket M2) Mobo
AMD Phenom II X6 1050T CPU (old Thurban tech)
4095MB Nvidia GeForce 740 (EVGA)
HyperX 32GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @669MHz (9-9-9-24)
LSP Ultra 650W ATX Power Supply

Of course I could go really cheap and just replace the mobo with a better one that takes all my current configuration. It's not like my current gamer is slow, it's just that I've lost a couple of USB ports and the built in ethernet port that all went bad.

Of course I could go really cheap and just replace the mobo with a better one that takes all my current configuration. It's not like my current gamer is slow, it's just that I've lost a couple of USB ports and the built in ethernet port that all went bad.

you could, but no headroom in terms of CPU then, you're locked into the AM3 socket. The Ryzen 7 will work with the AM4 socket also, so when that gets dirt cheap you could upgrade that if you felt like it.

Go big or go home....

you could, but no headroom in terms of CPU then, you're locked into the AM3 socket. The Ryzen 7 will work with the AM4 socket also, so when that gets dirt cheap you could upgrade that if you felt like it.

Go big or go home....
I'm quite familiar with all those arguments and yes I know Ryzen is AM4 not AM3 but working with a not so big budget right now that's why I stipulated "current configuration". It's comes down to upgrade all or just upgrade the mobo and do a new build in a couple of years.
Was basically "thinking out loud".

Go big or go home....
But then again I did see this......

Refurbished: HP Gaming Desktop Pavilion 690-0067c Ryzen 7 1st Gen 1700 (3.00 GHz) 16 GB DDR4 1 TB HDD AMD Radeon RX 550 Windows 10 Home 64-bit - Newegg.com

I looked over that so called HP Gaming Desktop and it seems it has some real problems that it's not really a gamer.
So here's what I'm currently thinking, replace the mobo, CPU and RAM, keep everything else or just replace my current motherboard although what I'm seeing is my current mobo runs from $90 used - $150 new which is kinda weird for an older mobo. Obviously it's considered a really good mobo.
The three replacement components I'm looking at are the

MSI Performance Gaming AMD X470 Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 Onboard Graphics CFX ATX Motherboard (X470 Gaming PRO)

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit

Cost of all three would be around $400.

I would wait until the next Ryzen release. This fall, maybe? More than likely next spring. Pretty sure something good is coming down the GPU pipeline soon that's a real advancement over the stagnation that has been for the past few years.

PS: One cannot use a Ryzen to it's full potential with an HP motherboard.

so, watcha building?
See post #7.
What I have now is:

That's not socket M2, it's socket AM3.

Major problem for you: That power supply only provides about 450w on the 12v rail, it's made by CompUSA and is a piece of crap. Replace that first with a decent power supply. Your Thuban could pop that power supply easy. Well, if you're running a decent GPU too, anyways.

I recommend replacing with a good power supply and decent used AM3 motherboard for now.

There's many decent options for a decent used AM3 motherboard, AFAIK.

$74 for a motherboard, and I can find you a power supply for around the same.
Then you'll be ready for mobo+cpu+RAM+GPU upgrade.

ASUS M4A89TD PRO Socket AM3 AMD 890FX USB3.0 DDR3 ATX Motherboard With I/O | eBay

Last edited:

so, watcha building?
See post #7.
What I have now is:

Major problem for you: That power supply only provides about 450w on the 12v rail, it's made by CompUSA and is a piece of crap. Replace that first with a decent power supply. Your Thuban could pop that power supply easy. Well, if you're running a decent GPU too, anyways.

I recommend replacing with a good power supply and decent used AM3 motherboard for now.

ASUS M4A89TD PRO Socket AM3 AMD 890FX USB3.0 DDR3 ATX Motherboard With I/O | eBay
It says M2 on the box but yes, I know it's an AM3+. What power supply would you recommend? Would that mobo take my RAM?

i5.
Whose board and whose SS drive ? I like Gigabyte Ultras and Kingston drives but my electric SUX ! They live through anything.

Haven't gotten that far but I'll go with DDR4 RAM, 16GB, the mobo will depend on whether its an AMD or Intel chip. Still debating between a SSD or HDD drive, 1 to 2 TB. Might have to upgrade my power supply to a 750W minimum (have a 650W now). May use the same gaming tower and just add more fans plus I have a liquid cooled heat sink I just bought. Still researching graphics cards.

Hmm, $600.. I like to do these things.

If I had $600..hmm, let's see how far I could make it go.

Power Supply (Always 1st) $60

Open Box: Rosewill Hive Series 750W Modular Gaming Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified, Single +12V Rail, Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready, SLI & CrossFire Ready - Hive-750 - Newegg.com

Motherboard $150

ASUS Prime X470-Pro AM4 AMD X470 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

RAM $75

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C16D-16GVRB - Newegg.com

SSD $40 (2) Put OS on one + storage on other or 2 OSes or whatever.

Patriot Burst 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) PBU120GS25SSDR - Newegg.com

GPU (This is a big 'un) $120

Refurbished: PNY GeForce GTX 1060 3GB XLR8 OC Dual Fan GDDR5 VCGGTX10603XGPB-OC-BB Video Card GPU - Newegg.com

CPU $120

AMD RYZEN 5 1600 6-Core 3.2 GHz (3.6 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 YD1600BBAEBOX Desktop Processor - Newegg.com

Total: $565

Get your 1TB storage later.

Last edited:

so, watcha building?
See post #7.
What I have now is:

It says M2 on the box but yes, I know it's an AM3+. What power supply would you recommend? Would that mobo take my RAM?

Yes, that mobo should take your RAM.

K10 is so old, though. Ryzen is comparable to 4790K for gaming.

I would do it now before the tariffs hit.

Last edited:
i5.

Hmm, $600.. I like to do these things.

If I had $600..hmm, let's see how far I could make it go.

Power Supply (Always 1st) $60

Open Box: Rosewill Hive Series 750W Modular Gaming Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified, Single +12V Rail, Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready, SLI & CrossFire Ready - Hive-750 - Newegg.com

Motherboard $150

ASUS Prime X470-Pro AM4 AMD X470 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

RAM $75

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C16D-16GVRB - Newegg.com

SSD $40 (2) Put OS on one + storage on other or 2 OSes or whatever.

Patriot Burst 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) PBU120GS25SSDR - Newegg.com

GPU (This is a big 'un) $120

Refurbished: PNY GeForce GTX 1060 3GB XLR8 OC Dual Fan GDDR5 VCGGTX10603XGPB-OC-BB Video Card GPU - Newegg.com

CPU $120

AMD RYZEN 5 1600 6-Core 3.2 GHz (3.6 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 YD1600BBAEBOX Desktop Processor - Newegg.com

Total: $565
I wouldn't need the GPU, the one I have is fine for now, I'd keep my current hard drive so there's $160 off of the price.
While I know it's "old" I'm leaning towards replacing the current mobo and looking for a better (higher end) gaming AM3+ mobo and replace the power supply.
Any suggestions on a higher end AM3+ mobo?

Forum List

Back