Looks like a Law

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
I hear the USSC ruled today that a state may not allow medical marijuana use.
They want Congress to pass a law, I guess. No states rights, huh? I'd like to know who took this issue to the court to start with..anyone know?

Mr. P said:
They want Congress to pass a law, I guess. No states rights, huh? I'd like to know who took this issue to the court to start with..anyone know?
Not sure who took it to the USSC, but this argument has been around for a long time. State's rights went away a looooooong time ago. Roe v Wade is about when it really started being eroded, but it began way before then.

Justice Stevens said the Controlled Substances Act of 1970 was a valid exercise of federal power by the Congress "even as applied to the troubling facts of this case".

The US Dept. of Justice took the case before the SCOTUS.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa051501a.htm

Today's decision came in response to an appeal from the U.S. Department of Justice to a Sept. 8, 2000 injunction issued by U.S. District Court Judge William Alsup in San Francisco banning the government from investigating or prosecuting physicians who recommending marijuana as a medical treatment, and allowing medical marijuana clubs to continue serving patients who could prove marijuana was, to them, a "medical necessity."

freeandfun1 said:
Not sure who took it to the USSC, but this argument has been around for a long time. State's rights went away a looooooong time ago. Roe v Wade is about when it really started being eroded, but it began way before then.

They began eroding just after the Civil War, that is when Amendment 14 got passed. They eroded further when the State's representation in the Federal Government was taken by Amendment 17.

no1tovote4 said:
They began eroding just after the Civil War, that is when Amendment 14 got passed. They eroded further when the State's representation in the Federal Government was taken by Amendment 17.
True, but Roe v Wade is probably the biggest and one of the earliest examples of state's rights being taken away in terms of legislation.

oops...from no1s' link...
Today's Supreme Court's ruling neither addresses nor changes existing state laws dealing with marijuana. It does mean however, that marijuana users and distributors cannot use medical necessity as a defense against prosecution at the federal level.
I guess it didn't change a thing, really..It looks like some group wasw involved.

As long as it doesn't change state law for medical use, I don't have a problem with it. Just don't grow too much..Does this smack of prohibition or what? Kinda?

People need to realize that if they are growing Medical Marijuana, even for their own use, they are violating a Federal Law regardless of what the States' laws may be. This takes away the defense that the State finds it legal for this reason therefore I should not be held to this Federal standard and opens prosecution of many people growing Medicinal MJ at their home for their own use.

You may not like it,however it has always been this way since inception....
Federal has jurisdiction over State...State has jurisdiction over County...and County has jurisdiction over City...not perfect but a needed jurisdiction to keep the wheels greased and running! :eek:

archangel said:
You may not like it,however it has always been this way since inception....
Federal has jurisdiction over State...State has jurisdiction over County...and County has jurisdiction over City...not perfect but a needed jurisdiction to keep the wheels greased and running! :eek:
True...so then the only answer is for congress to pass a law allowing it. I guess.

no1tovote4 said:
Don't hold your breath...

:teeth:
I was going to add that...LOL
It's a shame some people that can benefit are going to have to break the law for help..But, I'd do it.
And I'd find it for someone I knew
it would help too...Lock my ass-up.. :eek2:

Mr. P said:

Probably the DOJ. Funny how the Administration talks about state's rights, until those rights run counter to the administration's ideological agenda.

Bullypulpit said:
Probably the DOJ. Funny how the Administration talks about state's rights, until those rights run counter to the administration's ideological agenda.
Well, since this case appears to have been brought in Sept 2000 before Bush every took office
we sure can't pin it on him, however if this Congress doesn't move on it under HIS administration
he should take some heat for it...IMO.

Yurt said:
So what does the 10th amendment mean?

<blockquote>Amendment 10 - Powers of the States and People

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.</blockquote>

Apparently, it's no longer worth the match it would take to burn it.

Bullypulpit said:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.</blockquote>

:cheers2:

Mr. P said:
Well, since this case appears to have been brought in Sept 2000 before Bush every took office
we sure can't pin it on him, however if this Congress doesn't move on it under HIS administration
he should take some heat for it...IMO.
Agreed and I was about to point out the same thing. On the news, they keep saying the "Bush Administration" has won a battle over this, yet they forget to mention it was the CLINTON administration that brought the case to begin with. Convenient memory loss I guess. Maybe those in the media have been smoke'n too much weed.... they seem to suffer from short-term memory loss quite a bit.

Bullypulpit said:

And there ya go. :beer:

Bullypulpit said:

Damn, can't rep ya! :thup:

Forum List

Back