Looks like a Law

Mr. P said:
Me either...we're going to get a reputation for being liberal ya know..LOL

I think it's a done deal already. The only one who doesn't feel that way is Bully! :wtf:

How do the people participating on this board feel about the use of marijuana to ease the pain of the chronically or terminally ill? I don't remember reading any posts regarding this. If there has been a discussion, I must have missed it.

I am in favor of it...and have procurred pot for my grandfather on numerous occassions to help with his pain....the man has suffered enough...WWII vet needs some relief, without the addiction that comes from other "medicines."

Fmr jarhead said:
I am in favor of it...and have procurred pot for my grandfather on numerous occassions to help with his pain....the man has suffered enough...WWII vet needs some relief, without the addiction that comes from other "medicines."

I totally agree. I don't see letting people suffer unnecessarily if a doctor can prescribe doses of marijuana to give them relief. If it is lawful for doctors to prescribe hard drugs to alleviate pain, then why not marijuana?

Fmr jarhead said:
I've done the same for a friend..
It didn't work, but was worth the try.

The butter my grandfather uses on his toast does seem to make his day go better.

It is better to try and then know that it doesn't work than to sit by, and watch them in pain.

no1tovote4 said:

Here's a blog post I liked alot, links at site:
http://www.threebadfingers.com/?p=271

Dazed & Confused About Federal Power
posted by Jeffrey D. King on June 9th, 2005 at 4:02 pm

Steve Chapman writes:

The chief author of our Constitution, James Madison, had little patience for those who accused him and his allies of trying to create a large, intrusive federal government. In 1788, he noted pointedly that the “powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined.” Those of the states, by contrast, “are numerous and indefinite.”

This week, addressing the same question, the Supreme Court said, “James who?”

and

So Monson should have won her case in a walk. The marijuana she used was not part of interstate commerce. In the first place, it was never any kind of commerce: She grew it herself. In addition, it never left her home state. No one in Nevada or Arizona smelled the smoke or enjoyed the high.

Yet this Supreme Court managed to find excuses to rule against her. Justice John Paul Stevens, quoting from a 1942 decision, insisted that even if an activity “is local and though it may not be regarded as commerce, it may still, whatever its nature, be reached by Congress if it exerts a substantial economic effect on interstate commerce.”

Oh? The Constitution grants Congress the power to regulate interstate commerce — not anything that affects interstate commerce. Still, it’s absurd to think Monson’s six plants could have even the slightest effect on the national market for marijuana.

So the court was driven to say that Congress not only has the power to regulate anything that might affect interstate commerce, it has the power to regulate anything that might affect anything that might affect interstate commerce. As dissenting Justice Clarence Thomas warned, “If the majority is to be taken seriously, the federal government may now regulate quilting bees, clothes drives and potluck suppers throughout the 50 states.”

Indeed.

I recall that Justice Scalia said back on March 14th:

You see, I have my rules that confine me. I know what I’m looking for. When I find it, the original meaning of the Constitution, I am handcuffed. If I believe that the First Amendment meant when it was adopted that you are entitled to burn the American flag, I have to come out that way, even though I don’t like to come out that way. When I find that the original meaning of the jury trial guarantee is that any additional time you spend in prison which depends upon a fact, must depend upon a fact found by a jury, once I find that’s what the jury trial guarantee means, I am handcuffed. Though I’m a law and order type, I can not do all the mean conservative things I would like to do to this society. You got me.

This week, Justice Scalia sang a different tune. This week, he joined in the chorus of “James who?”

Having worked with hospice patients who are going through the final stages of chemo and rad therapy, it's agonizing to watch them suffer from the gut wrenching nausea that comes with it. It's really shameful that they can't have access to something that will give them some measure of relief...But that's medicine in America...run by bean-counters and politicians rather than patients and health-care providers.

Forum List

Back