Professor Teaches Religious People Are Retarded

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bonnie, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/312862p-267534c.html

2. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Wow, I never noticed that I had such significant retardation! Well to be honest I am not Christian and this guy is pretty specific....

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I'm sure he'll enjoy hell.

:(

4. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Makes one wonder what the hiring proceedure is for college professors??

5. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    The professor is wrong to generalize in such manner. It is, unfortunately, a few who bring disrepute onto the many.

Some of the fringe elements of evangelical Christian sects often seem to have eschewed their faith in a bid for political power. It is these who are the 'moral retards' in that they willfully ignore Christ's message in their efforts to secure political power and give their version of Christianity the force of law.

6. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

Well, if we use Ward Churchill as an example it appears that your only qualifications need be a vehement hatred of all things American and some niche like lying about Native American Ancestry, or being Gay and hating Christianity at the same time....

7. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Elaborate.

8. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038

I hear the coffee is always hot

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  10. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Have you read <a href=http://www.harpercollins.com/global_scripts/product_catalog/book_xml.asp?isbn=0060558288><i>God's Politics</i></a> by Jim Wallis? He details how, rather than working in the realms of grassroots movement building and values changing, the religious right moved straight into political organizing. Their stated goal being "...to takeover the Republican party...". In essence, they ignored the persuasion by moral argument that gives rise to genuine social change. He criticized the leaders of the religious right for leaving behind...

<blockquote>that faith challenges the powers that be to do justice for the poor instead of preaching a "prosperity gospel" and supporting politicians who further enrich the wealthy...that faith hates violence and tries to reduce it and exerts a fundamental presumption against war instead of justifying it in God's name...that faith creates community from racial, class, and gender divisions, prefers international community over nationalist religion and that "God bless America" is found nowhere in the Bible...that faith regards matters such as the sacredness of life and family bonds as so important that they should never be used as ideological symbols or mere political pawns...</blockquote>

Also, if we look back a few years, we find many of the evangelical schools of Christianity supporting the separation of church and state, as they feared the influence that mainstream Protestantism and Catholicism would have on the political process. With the decline of the Protestant and Catholic denominations and the rise of the Evangalicals, particularly those associated with the "religious right", that beleif in the separation of church and state has evaporated, as Republican leadership faces greater and greater pressure from the religious right to implement their political agenda.

So, rather than convincing others of the correctness of their faith by walking the walk...The leadership of the religious right has sought the easy path of gathering political power into their hands. As we have seen all too often, that power corrupts...both the secular and religious folk who grasp it too tightly or too avidly.