Looking to join the army, came here for some advice.

Hello everyone, I am new here and am looking to join the Army. My brother has served for a long time and has done 2 tours to Iraq. I recently graduated high school and am looking to improve my skills as a fighter. I like fighting in army call of duty, it is super fun and I think I would be pretty good at it in real life. I actually am one of the best snippers on the scene and I have won so many tournaments that I drown in puss everyday. So do you reccomend any other games I should play before I sign up? does it take long to get 10th prestige in the real army? and can I call snipper?
Don't put your boxers on backwards unless you are in the Navy.

What happened to the OP? Did all us military types scare him away?

Or.....................did he have a "super secret squirrel" mission that he had to deploy for in Call of Duty? Guess his couch called him up for deployment.

Maybe he'll come back with stories of valor and how many virtual medals he earned for this go round.

I joined the Marines around the same time but I don't recall any acronyms or tests related to journalism. Maybe you have it mixed up with the movie FMJ.
The two acronyms were DPB (data processing) and they identified that. The one for journalism was ISO and I was interested in drafting so I inquired if that had to do with isometric drawing. The clerk at the counter asked if I could write the lead to a news story and whether I could type. ISO stood for Informational Services Office--it changed to Public Affairs Office (PAO) while I was in. I said yeah and they gave me a fact sheet about Howard Hughes visiting MCRD. I wrote the lead and didn't hear anything more about it until they announced our MOS at the end of boot camp. The DI was announcing a lot of 0311 and I figured that was going to be mine. He announce 4312 and I asked what that was. LOL He looked it up and said "Oh, you're a Walter Cronkite." I was flabbergasted and all I could think of was whether or not they went to Vietnam. He said, "Oh yeah, that is the one MOS that has a higher mortality rate than a radioman. I thought, Great--I'm fucked. LOL

At that point you are given a choice, be assigned a new MOS or get out.

One example I saw was that at the PATRIOT school, we got a hell of a lot who had washed out of the EOD school. They already met all the requirements of working with the PATRIOT system, and also had a security clearance. So fail that, and odds are you ended up in PATRIOT.

And if you failed the PATRIOT course, then you got sent to being an 88M truck driver. At Fort Bliss there was actually an 88M school for that very reason.

Not a lot of people "flunk out" of most schools. And they already have chains of schools they send people to after that. After all, it makes no sense to take somebody that fails a school with a high score requirement and security clearance and make them a grunt or cook.
Ft. Bliss! I lived in El Paso in second grade. My dad was an Army recruiter in Las Cruces and I remember him taking me in the main gate and the road was lined with Nike Ajax missiles on mobile launchers. In the morning they would raise them while colors played in the morning. It was cool, we drove down that road and it was like they were raising them for us.

The Army does not work that way at all.

You pick an MOS, and that is what you get. And you are sent to that school and trained in that MOS as that determines where you go to Boot Camp. It if is the 11 series, you go to Benning. If it is for the 25 series, you go to Gordon. If it is air defense or artillery you go to Sill. And they are not going to waste money training you in one MOS, only to at a later date send you to be trained in another. Nobody who has a contract saying they will be a 25X gets sent to Benning and trained as an 11B, only to then be sent to Gordon later in their career to be trained as a 25B.

As far as I am aware, about the only service that regularly offers "Open Contracts" where you are assigned an MOS purely at the needs of the military is the Marines Corps. The Army has not done that in decades.

The AF tries to get you into the job you wish but it's not always possible. ALL branches, including the Army, will do what is best for the Military.

What happened to the OP? Did all us military types scare him away?

Or.....................did he have a "super secret squirrel" mission that he had to deploy for in Call of Duty? Guess his couch called him up for deployment.

Maybe he'll come back with stories of valor and how many virtual medals he earned for this go round.

Maybe he learned that even a desk job in the Air Force can end up in combat if things get too hot. 50 years ago, I didn't read the brochure.

My brother is not a part of special forces, he is just one of the fairly useful grunts the military uses to throw at their problems.
Where do you think noobs have to prove themselves before they can move into special forces? Green Berets and Seals are chosen for that training from groups of men who have already proven themselves as being exceptional in NORMAL roles first.

"One hundred men will test today....
But only THREE will become a Green Beret."

-StSgt. Barry Sadler

Hello everyone, I am new here and am looking to join the Army. My brother has served for a long time and has done 2 tours to Iraq. I recently graduated high school and am looking to improve my skills as a fighter. I like fighting in army call of duty, it is super fun and I think I would be pretty good at it in real life. I actually am one of the best snippers on the scene and I have won so many tournaments that I drown in puss everyday. So do you reccomend any other games I should play before I sign up? does it take long to get 10th prestige in the real army? and can I call snipper?
Fodder for the MIC and globo homo inc is no way to die son....

The OP sounds like a future Stolen Valor candidate. In 10 years or so he will be in a bar bragging about how he was a Navy SEAL or a Green Beret.

Talking of real vets...

When I was younger (P.O. 2nd Class) I'd hang out at the VFW in Millington TN sometimes. Nice quite small bar with pool and shuffleboard tables.

I came to realize the scary ones were the ones that didn't brag about what they did.

WW

I don't think he knows what it takes to be a sniper in the Military. The Shrink eval throws out many that have the skills with the rifles. You have to compartmentalized where your shot isn't part of your normal life. When you are dealing with one part, the other part does not exist. The danger involved is that you could be changed into a souless killer who won't stop after they leave the military. The Shrink Tests make MOST fail.
True.
And thinking the whole thing "fun" would be a quick eliminator.

The OP sounds like a future Stolen Valor candidate. In 10 years or so he will be in a bar bragging about how he was a Navy SEAL or a Green Beret.

I remember being in a bar in Amarillo TX (Cactus Lounge as a matter of fact), and was shooting pool. I was active duty at the time and had just gotten there to take charge of the MEPS for the Navy.

Some idiot walks into the bar, wearing camos, had a blocked hat, and a SEAL insignia (pin on, not patch), on his chest, with no other markings on the uniform.

I walked up to the individual and casually asked him if he was in the military (he had hair that was WAY out of regs btw). I also asked him if he was a SEAL because of the Trident. He then told me that no, he wasn't a SEAL, but wearing it was a great way to pick up women.

I then pulled out my ID card, politely informed him that he had 2 choices, either (a) take off the Trident, or (b) I would remove said Trident from his chest and shove it up his ass.

He quickly left the bar. People like that piss me off greatly.

Talking of real vets...

When I was younger (P.O. 2nd Class) I'd hang out at the VFW in Millington TN sometimes. Nice quite small bar with pool and shuffleboard tables.

I came to realize the scary ones were the ones that didn't brag about what they did.

WW

HEY!!!! That was one of my favorite places to hang out too! Cheap beer, decent people to talk to, and lots of fun. Started hanging out there at the urging of my OIC (CWO Randy Durham) because when he screened my record at check in, he saw that I was eligible to join.

I was in Millington from '86 to '89, working at PSD for my shore duty. Was a rather busy place for a PN on shore duty due to the high student turnover as it was the central aviation training base for the Navy at the time.

Joined the VFW in Millington (Navy Expeditionary Medal is what qualified me), and when I got stationed at Jacksonville, I got my lifetime membership there. Still have my metal VFW card from the Orange Park post.

Talking of real vets...

WW
Went through Avionics "A" school at NATTC Millington back in 1969 to early 1970.

If the OP really wants to find out about what he will be in for, talk to the men who have done it. Not video games, but actual duty.

Find men who have been snipers. Catch them when they are not too stoned on their PTSD meds. And ignore the "thousand yard stare".

HEY!!!! That was one of my favorite places to hang out too! Cheap beer, decent people to talk to, and lots of fun. Started hanging out there at the urging of my OIC (CWO Randy Durham) because when he screened my record at check in, he saw that I was eligible to join.

I was in Millington from '86 to '89, working at PSD for my shore duty. Was a rather busy place for a PN on shore duty due to the high student turnover as it was the central aviation training base for the Navy at the time.

Joined the VFW in Millington (Navy Expeditionary Medal is what qualified me), and when I got stationed at Jacksonville, I got my lifetime membership there. Still have my metal VFW card from the Orange Park post.

I was in Millington '78-'79 for "A" School and AFTA and then '84 to '88 as an AVIC(7) student [first year} and stayed on as an instructor.

First time there the nice thing was their was a Booby Bar right around the corner. When you were coming from the base going into Millington you came to a "Y" in the road, go to the right and there was the VFW. Go to the left and there was the (.) (.) bar.

Beer was defiantly cheaper at the VFW.

WW

Is this a parody thread?

A troll thread?

Service in the US Army or any other military branch is absolutely nothing like any video game.

Ft. Bliss! I lived in El Paso in second grade. My dad was an Army recruiter in Las Cruces and I remember him taking me in the main gate and the road was lined with Nike Ajax missiles on mobile launchers. In the morning they would raise them while colors played in the morning. It was cool, we drove down that road and it was like they were raising them for us.
We flew to Ft Bliss one weekend during flight training because Corpus Christi was closed....I remember doing touch and goes on that runway...it wasn't perfectly flat, had a slight rise in the middle.....we land, roll out and start applying power again as we go over the rise and there's a coyote right in the middle of the runway.....fortunately we had enough power to lift off......

Forum List

Back