Gulfport Seabee Base using shipping containers to shield base housing from gunfire

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
GULFPORT, Miss. (WLOX) - If you drive down Commission Road on the south side of the Seabee Base in Gulfport, you’ll see a wall of huge shipping containers lining the roadway. They were set up in an effort to protect service members and base residents from gun violence outside the gates.

The containers were brought in after an incident back in October when gunfire broke out at an apartment complex across the street from the base.

“There was some shootings over here at the William Bell Apartment complex and one of the bullets, or several bullets, struck one of the houses over there,” Gulfport Councilman Kenneth “Truck” Casey explained. “Those are the measures that the Seabee Base came up with by putting those containers over there to block the stray bullets.”

Those that travel a lot internationally told me they looked for concertina wire. If there was concertina wire they knew they were in a shitty part of a country.

Sometimes I wonder if we'll reach South Africa levels of Third Worldliness or if it will get better before that happens?

GULFPORT, Miss. (WLOX) - If you drive down Commission Road on the south side of the Seabee Base in Gulfport, you’ll see a wall of huge shipping containers lining the roadway. They were set up in an effort to protect service members and base residents from gun violence outside the gates.

The containers were brought in after an incident back in October when gunfire broke out at an apartment complex across the street from the base.

“There was some shootings over here at the William Bell Apartment complex and one of the bullets, or several bullets, struck one of the houses over there,” Gulfport Councilman Kenneth “Truck” Casey explained. “Those are the measures that the Seabee Base came up with by putting those containers over there to block the stray bullets.”

Those that travel a lot internationally told me they looked for concertina wire. If there was concertina wire they knew they were in a shitty part of a country.

Sometimes I wonder if we'll reach South Africa levels of Third Worldliness or if it will get better before that happens?
Reminds me of the wall in Belfast.

Not much of a surprise. They built a cement wall on the South Side of UTEP because bullets from the drug cartel battles in Mexico kept landing on the campus.

Military bases have concertina wire on top of fences all over the country. It's not an uncommon occurrence.

Forum List

Back