Longtime Texas House Democrat switches to Republican party

marvin martian

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2020
Texas Hill Country
LOL!

The Biden nightmare keeps getting worse and worse.

Without even winning a race, Texas Republicans have increased their ranks by one this week as Rep. Ryan Guillen of Rio Grande City announced his switch to the Republican Party.

The now-former Democrat, who’s served in the Texas House since 2003, announced the party affiliation switch in Floresville, the Wilson County seat on Monday morning.

“Something is happening in South Texas. Many of us are waking up to the fact that the values in Washington D.C. are not our values in South Texas,” Guillen said at the announcement. “I’m proud to continue voting the way I have and not doing so against my party.”

Guillen was flanked by some of the state’s top Republican officials such as Governor Greg Abbott, Speaker Dade Phelan (R-Beaumont), and Texas GOP Chairman Matt Rinaldi.

For four out of the last five legislative sessions, Guillen was rated the most conservative Democrat in the Texas House — in the fifth, he was ranked the second-most conservative.

LOL!

The Biden nightmare keeps getting worse and worse.

Without even winning a race, Texas Republicans have increased their ranks by one this week as Rep. Ryan Guillen of Rio Grande City announced his switch to the Republican Party.

The now-former Democrat, who’s served in the Texas House since 2003, announced the party affiliation switch in Floresville, the Wilson County seat on Monday morning.

“Something is happening in South Texas. Many of us are waking up to the fact that the values in Washington D.C. are not our values in South Texas,” Guillen said at the announcement. “I’m proud to continue voting the way I have and not doing so against my party.”

Guillen was flanked by some of the state’s top Republican officials such as Governor Greg Abbott, Speaker Dade Phelan (R-Beaumont), and Texas GOP Chairman Matt Rinaldi.

For four out of the last five legislative sessions, Guillen was rated the most conservative Democrat in the Texas House — in the fifth, he was ranked the second-most conservative.

Someone doesn't want to end up cannon fodder in the next election when a supermajority of Texans vote straight "R" on the ballot. He won't be the last in red or purple states. Hell, even blue states judging by VA and NJ.

Forum List

Back