Longshoremen's union threatens more thuggery

That's the truth! I have never figured out why someone would either stay where they are obviously not wanted, or stay on a job that they felt the need to constantly complain about. If you are that miserable, move on! Some people seem to think that using union thugs to browbeat management will somehow improve their lot.

The problem with the "change jobs" mentaility is you usually find, "Same Shit, Different Asshole".

We all have the option to make our own job.
Could you do that? If so, please tell us what and how.

If you haven't done that, why not?

5/62

I work with one of these perpetually whining, discontented fools. He claims not to need the job and yet he persists in being a pain in everyone's ass. He treats everyone he deems "lesser" like shit but sucks on the supervisors' asses so hard, I'm surprised their heads haven't caved in. Yet, he never finds anything pleasant to say and constantly harps about how much better things would be if only we'd bring in a union. Fortunately, too many of us have been burned by unions and he doesn't get much sympathy. Really, if his life at this job is so miserable, he needs to move on. He's also always telling us how much better he could do at this or that other job. Really, move on then.

As far as I'm concerned, you don't like the job and don't think you can do better, either suck it up or move on.
Please be more specific about being "burned" by a union?

And what is your situation now? Are you content with your pay and benefits? Working conditions? Or do you think a union could significantly improve things? If not, why not?

The take-it-or-leave-it attitude where your job is concerned could, and probably will, turn out to be very self-defeating because it tends to drive wages down and erode benefits.

I work with several who were screwed by the union that represented Northwest Airlines mechanics. They were all tossed aside.
My current situation is one where I personally "negotiated" the best possible circumstances. Considering what we do for our pay, the money is fair. Those who have greater skills to offer get better pay. Opportunities exist and pay is offered for those who take advantage of those opportunities. For those who would rather not assume the responsibilities, or use the opportunities...well, the pay is still better than average.

How do you correlate the current corrupt government with unions? As I see it, unions have bought the best government possible and they only serve to funnel money into various political coffers.
And because you believe unions are accomodating to politicians you think things will be better for workers without unions? Is that what you're saying?

Have you thought about how you'd be doing if there were no unions? If so, please share your thoughts with us.

I am saying that the unions I am familiar with financially support politicians whose agendas DO NOT correlate with my goals. I would rather not contribute financially to candidates who do not support me.

Many of we "malcontents" freely acknowledge that unions had a time and place, and a purpose. But we also recognize that unions are an outdated institution that has been replaced by [gasp] government agencies that regulate many of the issues unions purport to address. Unions now tend to be headed by a self-interested bureaucracy with political ties that have replace their traditional ties to crime syndicates.
The notion that the time and place for labor unions is past exhibits a dangerous trend in contemporary thinking. The idea that existing labor laws can take the place of unions is comparable to believing a baby-sitter can take the place of a natural mother. Did you ever hear of a federal agency representing employees vs an employer in salary and benefits negotiation? And how much experience have you had in dealing with a federal bureaucracy? Try bringing a minor grievance against your employer to some Labor Department hack and see what happens.

Every one of the federal and state labor laws in place today are the direct result of pressure applied to politicians by the national union collective which directed its membership's voting habits. When the unions are gone the process will reverse and you will see every one of those labor laws go the way of regulations which once prevented Wall Street and the banks from ripping us off and looting our Treasury.

You should understand that every benefit enjoyed by American workers today is the result of efforts by the union movement. And because a rising tide raises all boats, that applies to non-union workers, too.

Just keep in mind that unions represent organization, for which there is no substitute. Just try to imagine yourself standing alone in opposition to a corporation and you'll get the idea, because that is what it's about.

Unions are far from perfect. Some of them are worthless and some are corrupt. But even the worst union can be fixed by its membership. So it's a very bad idea to toss out the baby with the bathwater.

Get organized and stay organized. Otherwise you're on your own.

Mikey...Have you checked the statistics lately? 92% of us have rejected unions.
You'd have a point if a majority of the workforce were union. The fact is a small number of workers are represented by labor collectives.
Your little pro union speeches might work in some of the Euro countries where unions run roughshod over these nations, but we've wised up and in doing so, marginalized the idea of labor collectives.
It's OVER... Just stop it.
I would not join a union if it were the last job to be had. I'd start my own business and keep it so small so as not to have to hire anyone.

The problem with the "change jobs" mentaility is you usually find, "Same Shit, Different Asshole".

We all have the option to make our own job.
Could you do that? If so, please tell us what and how.

If you haven't done that, why not?

5/62
Typical collective mentality response. Hey genius, instead of asking here, why not ask the guy who owns the business where you are employed.
Oh, that's right....Your union prohibits "consorting with the suits"....
Christ.
The problem with you pro labor people is you are programmed to stay within a very small paradigm.

Forum List

Back