Long live the Yurt

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
a76ca1c0-0ade-11e5-8c2e-655c0f3ec90f_y15.jpg

In off-the-grid yurt, Montana couple live 'on our own terms'

Mollie Busby thought she'd spend her life in the fashion industry, happily putting her degrees in journalism and retail to use as the editor of a women's magazine.

But then she met Sean -- at the 2010 funeral of a 13-year-old boy named Jesse, the son of one of Mollie's good friends. Jesse had died of complications from type 1 diabetes. Sean Busby, a professional backcountry snowboarder who also has type 1 diabetes, ran a charity called Riding on Insulin that he wanted to kick into high gear after Jesse's death. Mollie decided to make that happen.

They fell in love in the process. And traveled the world. And got married, always keeping Jesse in mind as they pursued bigger and better things for Riding on Insulin, which helps connect people with type 1 diabetes, largely through snowboarding camps. They also sought bigger and better things for themselves.

For them, that meant moving to a small skiing community in northwest Montana, living off the grid in a yurt, a portable, round tent used mostly by nomads in central Asia. They're cataloging their experience on their website, Two Sticks and a Board.

In off-the-grid yurt Montana couple live on our own terms Spaces - Yahoo Homes

this couple has the right idea. yurts are amazing and i wish everyone could experience a stay in one.

i have a friend who lives like this and he absolutely loves it...

i could only handle it for a short time, i think... sort of like camping with a better tent. :lol:

my friend even kills his own food, etc... he is very big into being eco-friendly...

every once in a while he'll come around for brief visits but so far he is very content living 'off the grid' most of the time.

i enjoy throwing a recyclable in the wrong bin in his presence, just to watch his head spin. :coffee:

i could only handle it for a short time, i think... sort of like camping with a better tent. :lol:

my friend even kills his own food, etc... he is very big into being eco-friendly...

every once in a while he'll come around for brief visits but so far he is very content living 'off the grid' most of the time.

i enjoy throwing a recyclable in the wrong bin in his presence, just to watch his head spin. :coffee:
He kills his own food, so he pulls plants?

He kills his own food, so he pulls plants?

yes, he is very knowledgeable about plants and he also plants his own stuff, etc...

plus he hunts for meat as well...

The rainbow over your Yurt is, well, very appropriate.

:rolleyes: looks like a post from this morning has gone missing ^
Hmm? No comprende, Signora. Rainbows are pretty cool examples of the unification of nature and science and an outstanding phenomenon to observe. It would therefore be very appropriate to witness such a wondrous act of nature near a sturdy tent such as a Yurt.

Now, what was your point again?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

Gotta say, those yurts, as tents, look totally cool and I bet they really are comfortable inside. I wouldn't mind trying one out.

I wonder how well they hold up against the elements in the long term. And I wonder if they are made of very different materials, depending on region of the world.

Nice thread, Yurt. Gets a thumbs-up from me. Was too busy yesterday to go through the entire article, which I did this morning.

Forum List

Back