LONDON, not 'Scotland' Released terrorist..for OIL

Xenophon

Gone and forgotten
Nov 27, 2008
In your head
The British government decided it was “in the overwhelming interests of the United Kingdom” to make Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, the Lockerbie bomber, eligible for return to Libya, leaked ministerial letters reveal.

Gordon Brown’s government made the decision after discussions between Libya and BP over a multi-million-pound oil exploration deal had hit difficulties. These were resolved soon afterwards.

The letters were sent two years ago by Jack Straw, the justice secretary, to Kenny MacAskill, his counterpart in Scotland, who has been widely criticised for taking the formal decision to permit Megrahi’s release.

The correspondence makes it plain that the key decision to include Megrahi in a deal with Libya to allow prisoners to return home was, in fact, taken in London for British national interests.

Full story:

Lockerbie bomber 'set free for oil' - Times Online

Absolutely disgusting, after blaiming the Scots it was the UK gov that did this.

Sorry Roomy, Boot & Colin, your gov really dicked you guys.

Well it's okay to lay some blame on the scots too, it was a scottish dude that gave the final order.. evidently his bagpipes weren't big enough to just say NO. Well, I knew after reading all the comments from the UK voicing anti American sentiment.. we have no friends..there. so personally I choose not to spend money in the UK or to buy UK products..

It hardly seems Britain is hell-bent on cutting an oil related "deal" of this nature.

untitled-10.jpg

The Oil Drum: Europe | Oilwatch Monthly August 2009

You know, maybe we should just withdraw from the rest of the world and let them deal with everything for a change. :evil:

The British government decided it was “in the overwhelming interests of the United Kingdom” to make Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, the Lockerbie bomber, eligible for return to Libya, leaked ministerial letters reveal.

Gordon Brown’s government made the decision after discussions between Libya and BP over a multi-million-pound oil exploration deal had hit difficulties. These were resolved soon afterwards.

The letters were sent two years ago by Jack Straw, the justice secretary, to Kenny MacAskill, his counterpart in Scotland, who has been widely criticised for taking the formal decision to permit Megrahi’s release.

The correspondence makes it plain that the key decision to include Megrahi in a deal with Libya to allow prisoners to return home was, in fact, taken in London for British national interests.

Full story:

Absolutely disgusting, after blaiming the Scots it was the UK gov that did this.

:cuckoo: feckin english :cuckoo:

Wish the hell we could, unfortunately the reality for the last hundred years or so has been that every time we try we get even more trouble than if we'd stayed involved.

Full story:

:cuckoo: feckin english :cuckoo:

Wrong. "British government". Get it right.

You know, maybe we should just withdraw from the rest of the world and let them deal with everything for a change. :evil:

I don't think that's a bad idea at all. I bet our troops would much rather guard our borders than those of South Korea and Iraq.

I don't think that's a bad idea at all. I bet our troops would much rather guard our borders than those of South Korea and Iraq.

Good idea, WillowTree. Let's mind our own business for awhile. Guard our boarders and work on getting all the illegal aliens out of the country. If we do a good enough job of it, maybe we can catch a few of those terrorists that may have slipped into the country while we were being dumb.

Good idea, WillowTree. Let's mind our own business for awhile. Guard our boarders and work on getting all the illegal aliens out of the country. If we do a good enough job of it, maybe we can catch a few of those terrorists that may have slipped into the country while we were being dumb.

:lol: Methinks the present regime is being really really really DUmb!

o listen to ya....this is hardly new.....iran...hostages...reagan...guns for hostages....fancy that....i dont agree with releasing this guy...i think it was a horrible call and i have compassion...but not for this murderer....who had no clue who was on this plane and yet was willing to kill..innocent children...etc...i dont have to preach to the choir here...but i wont toss too many stones when our government deals with terrorists daily. all governments do. iran/carter...shah of iran....unfortunately we are not able to enforce the norms and morality of our country onto another country.

as for the isolationism drums....then what in the hell are you gonna do with one of the world's largest standing armies?

i will be sitting over here waiting on yall to answer that one? tell me how an economy with a high unemployment rate is gonna absorb them?

WWI, WWII, hell consider the Monroe Doctrine. Or, the adventure with the pirates of Tripoli. The evidence is conclusive the world does not believe or pratice live and let live to any great extent. It never has an never will. Thugs who run countries will find some reason to blame you for what's wrong in their country regardless of whether or not you've ever been there.

o listen to ya....this is hardly new.....iran...hostages...reagan...guns for hostages....fancy that....i dont agree with releasing this guy...i think it was a horrible call and i have compassion...but not for this murderer....who had no clue who was on this plane and yet was willing to kill..innocent children...etc...i dont have to preach to the choir here...but i wont toss too many stones when our government deals with terrorists daily. all governments do. iran/carter...shah of iran....unfortunately we are not able to enforce the norms and morality of our country onto another country.

as for the isolationism drums....then what in the hell are you gonna do with one of the world's largest standing armies?

i will be sitting over here waiting on yall to answer that one? tell me how an economy with a high unemployment rate is gonna absorb them?

Unemployment would certainly go up, but it would ultimately be better for the economy. Our government would be spending far less which would mean a giant monkey off the back of our economy.

WWI, WWII, hell consider the Monroe Doctrine. Or, the adventure with the pirates of Tripoli. The evidence is conclusive the world does not believe or pratice live and let live to any great extent. It never has an never will. Thugs who run countries will find some reason to blame you for what's wrong in their country regardless of whether or not you've ever been there.

Neither WW1 or WW2 had anything to do with us so those certainly aren't good examples of noninterventionism failing. As for pirates, well pirates are going to do what pirates do so nothing surprising there.

Forum List

Back