London has Warmest April day in nearly 70 years, as Enormous Heat Dome Consumes Europe

That doesn't sound like it relates to the conversation of AGW.

But hopefully in your chemistry classes you DID learn that CO2 absorbs IR photons. And presumably you also learned that energy doesn't just "disappear". We know CO2 is a greenhouse gas. We know how it works. We even know how excess CO2 re-equilibrates back out of the atmosphere.

All of that points to it being a significant factor (not the only one) in AGW.

Your oversimplification and flawed math notwithstanding. Those back-of-the-envelope calcs don't hold any water in this system.

The only reason you know about the earth's changing climate in its distant past is because of the same work and same scientists who tell you that the current warming CANNOT be explained solely by natural forcings.

And yet again you spew opinion. How about gifting us with some of your own words. Talk about a geologic process you find interesting.

Use YOUR words, not cut and paste.

And yet again you spew opinion.

LOL. It is not my opinion that CO2 molecules absorb IR.

How about gifting us with some of your own words.

Those were all my words. If you can show me where they are taken from otherwise I'd be glad to see it.

Talk about a geologic process you find interesting.

I've got about a billion of 'em

1. Thermal maturation of organic content of shales near certain mineral deposits in the US midcontinent
2. Alteration of coal macerals by added thermal stress
3. Coal chemistry.
4. Type III organics and the Van Kreveln plot
5. Mineralogy (generally, I love that topic).

Which one you wanna talk about?

Use YOUR words, not cut and paste.

I don't use cut and paste.

LOL. It is not my opinion that CO2 molecules absorb IR.

Those were all my words. If you can show me where they are taken from otherwise I'd be glad to see it.

I've got about a billion of 'em

1. Thermal maturation of organic content of shales near certain mineral deposits in the US midcontinent
2. Alteration of coal macerals by added thermal stress
3. Coal chemistry.
4. Type III organics and the Van Kreveln plot
5. Mineralogy (generally, I love that topic).

Which one you wanna talk about?

I don't use cut and paste.

Minerology

Minerology

Well, my favorites are the silicates and among those I'm especially fond of sorosilicates. But I have the most experience with phyllosilicates. My advisor for my MS was a clay mineralogist and he was always pushing me to focus on clays. I hated clays but in the end I wound up working with more kaolinite than I ever actually wanted to.

Phyllosilicates are characterized by flat sheets of silica tetrahedra each sharing 3 oxygens in the plane. That's why the Si:O ratio is 2:5. Associated with this is an "octahedral layer" of AlO. If there is Al substitution in the tetrahedral layer (the SiO layer) then additional cations like K and Na will be used to balance the charge.

The phyllosilicates contain both the CLAY MINERALS as well as things like the MICAS (biotite, phlogopite, muscovite, lepidolite...lepidolite is really cool because it is a source of Li and it has a really neat purple color).

There's options for substitution of Si by Al so the sheets can develop a permanent negative charge and if the phyllosilicate has a pH dependent + charge on the edges (where the Si-O or Al-O groups terminate) it can lead to the formation of turbostratic structures as they coordinate + to -.

In addition when suspended clays hit ocean water they tend to flocculate if I recall due to the adsorption of divalent cations like Ca2+ and they form associations between individual clay minerals.

The beauty of clay minerals is that there are things like illite crystallinity that can tell you something about paleothermometery (of fluids within the rocks, not necessarily the climate). Some study has been done using illite crystallinity to track basinal brines as they move through the geologic column. You measure features like illite crystallinity by means of XRD (x-ray diffraction). You probably remember Bragg's Law nL = 2dsin(theta) that explains why certain angles show an enhanced reflection of the incoming X-ray radiation. It is a function of the mineralogical plane spacing within the structure. We used to take clay fractions from a sieve stack and then let them settle onto glass slides at the bottom of a graduated cylinder to get oriented clay samples.

Clays are also neat because they may have a catalytic surface property. There's some evidence that they can help function during diagenesis of organics in clays and shales by decreasing the activation energy for the breakdown of some organics. In addition there's other research which indicates that preferential adsorption of organic molecules on clays may have been one of the early precursors to abiogenesis.

Some other mineral surfaces, like carbonates, apparently adsorb preferentially the stereoisomer that most life on earth prefers in their proteins.

Anything in there interest you?

Well, my favorites are the silicates and among those I'm especially fond of sorosilicates. But I have the most experience with phyllosilicates. My advisor for my MS was a clay mineralogist and he was always pushing me to focus on clays. I hated clays but in the end I wound up working with more kaolinite than I ever actually wanted to.

Phyllosilicates are characterized by flat sheets of silica tetrahedra each sharing 3 oxygens in the plane. That's why the Si:O ratio is 2:5. Associated with this is an "octahedral layer" of AlO. If there is Al substitution in the tetrahedral layer (the SiO layer) then additional cations like K and Na will be used to balance the charge.

The phyllosilicates contain both the CLAY MINERALS as well as things like the MICAS (biotite, phlogopite, muscovite, lepidolite...lepidolite is really cool because it is a source of Li and it has a really neat purple color).

There's options for substitution of Si by Al so the sheets can develop a permanent negative charge and if the phyllosilicate has a pH dependent + charge on the edges (where the Si-O or Al-O groups terminate) it can lead to the formation of turbostratic structures as they coordinate + to -.

In addition when suspended clays hit ocean water they tend to flocculate if I recall due to the adsorption of divalent cations like Ca2+ and they form associations between individual clay minerals.

The beauty of clay minerals is that there are things like illite crystallinity that can tell you something about paleothermometery (of fluids within the rocks, not necessarily the climate). Some study has been done using illite crystallinity to track basinal brines as they move through the geologic column. You measure features like illite crystallinity by means of XRD (x-ray diffraction). You probably remember Bragg's Law nL = 2dsin(theta) that explains why certain angles show an enhanced reflection of the incoming X-ray radiation. It is a function of the mineralogical plane spacing within the structure. We used to take clay fractions from a sieve stack and then let them settle onto glass slides at the bottom of a graduated cylinder to get oriented clay samples.

Clays are also neat because they may have a catalytic surface property. There's some evidence that they can help function during diagenesis of organics in clays and shales by decreasing the activation energy for the breakdown of some organics. In addition there's other research which indicates that preferential adsorption of organic molecules on clays may have been one of the early precursors to abiogenesis.

Some other mineral surfaces, like carbonates, apparently adsorb preferentially the stereoisomer that most life on earth prefers in their proteins.

Anything in there interest you?

I did a paper on the Lockwood Clay way back when. You may have cited it.

Sure is taking you a long time to look it up. It's an easy one too.

Oh, you don't remember any of your work?

I'll take some time to look it up. Thanks.

You claim to be a geologist. I gave you a formation within your supposed field of knowledge. Thus it should be easy peasy to look it up. After all, good scientists are experts at literature reviews.

You claim to be a geologist. I gave you a formation within your supposed field of knowledge. Thus it should be easy peasy to look it up. After all, good scientists are experts at literature reviews.

Is Lockwood a FORMATION name? Is it a LOCALITY? Is it a QUADRANGLE?

Is Lockwood a FORMATION name? Is it a LOCALITY? Is it a QUADRANGLE?

Lockwood Clay is all the information you need. C'mon mr. geologist. A 1st year student knows how to decipher that.

Lockwood Clay is all the information you need. C'mon mr. geologist. A 1st year student knows how to decipher that.

This is absurd. There are thousands upon thousands of different formations across the country and many more times that across the world.

I will take a stab at it:

Is this:
A soil type (I'm not a soils guy) like this one linked here?

Is it a shale in the Lockwood Valley Quadrangle in California?

Is it THIS article about the Lockwood Valley?

There IS a folio from 1894 (HERE) about a section in Tennessee that apparently mentions a "Lockwood Fm". Is that it?

When I do a Google Scholar search, obviously the FIRST PAGE is dominated by articles that were written by someone named "Lockwood" that have some things to do with geology but honestly that's not the same thing.

So I'm not finding it. If you actually did anything on this and it was related to clay mineralogy I'd honestly actually be interested in learning more about it.

But if you just think you "pwned" me because I'm not familiar with ONE RANDOMLY CHOSEN WORD in a field with billions of designations, well, then you clearly know less about geology than I do!

LOL.

C'mon, talk like a grown up. Tell me about this clay.

This is absurd. There are thousands upon thousands of different formations across the country and many more times that across the world.

I will take a stab at it:

Is this:
A soil type (I'm not a soils guy) like this one linked here?

Is it a shale in the Lockwood Valley Quadrangle in California?

Is it THIS article about the Lockwood Valley?

There IS a folio from 1894 (HERE) about a section in Tennessee that apparently mentions a "Lockwood Fm". Is that it?

When I do a Google Scholar search, obviously the FIRST PAGE is dominated by articles that were written by someone named "Lockwood" that have some things to do with geology but honestly that's not the same thing.

So I'm not finding it. If you actually did anything on this and it was related to clay mineralogy I'd honestly actually be interested in learning more about it.

But if you just think you "pwned" me because I'm not familiar with ONE RANDOMLY CHOSEN WORD in a field with billions of designations, well, then you clearly know less about geology than I do!

LOL.

C'mon, talk like a grown up. Tell me about this clay.

Uh, huh. Your first problem is you are trying to google it.

Try using a scholarly database. There are specific ones for geologists. Use them. One in particular was founded in 1966. It is particularly useful.

Uh, huh. Your first problem is you are trying to google it.
Yeah. Because I don't know every single formation on the planet earth.

Try using a scholarly database. There are specific ones for geologists. Use them. One in particular was founded in 1966. It is particularly useful.

Look, I honestly don't care what your game is here. If you did something on this talk like an adult. If you are just posing, just keep moving on. I don't care.

I responded to your initial challenge to talk about geology in my own voice which I did. On YOUR topic of choice. Easy peasy. You then made a claim you don't want to back up. I understand.

Right now I'm inclined to assume you didn't write any such article or ever studied any such material. I could be wrong but you'd have to provide me evidence to that end.

Bye.

Yeah. Because I don't know every single formation on the planet earth.

Look, I honestly don't care what your game is here. If you did something on this talk like an adult. If you are just posing, just keep moving on. I don't care.

I responded to your initial challenge to talk about geology in my own voice which I did. On YOUR topic of choice. Easy peasy. You then made a claim you don't want to back up. I understand.

Right now I'm inclined to assume you didn't write any such article or ever studied any such material. I could be wrong but you'd have to provide me evidence to that end.

Bye.

No, you used the voice of a scholarly paper that you were merely parroting. We write differently for those than we do when we are simply talking about a subject. The fact that you couldn't figure out that the Lockwood Clay is a formation is telling. Clay telling you what the dominant rock type is, and Lockwood telling you the nearest geographic feature. This is simpleton level geology. Like I said, 1st year students KNOW this.

No, you used the voice of a scholarly paper that you were merely parroting. We write differently for those than we do when we are simply talking about a subject. The fact that you couldn't figure out that the Lockwood Clay is a formation is telling. Clay telling you what the dominant rock type is, and Lockwood telling you the nearest geographic feature. This is simpleton level geology. Like I said, 1st year students KNOW this.

Yeah. Sorry. You aren't changing my opinion of your background. Good try, though.

Forum List

Back