London 2012 Olympics Stuff

Bolt wins Gold in 9.64. Blake silver. Gatland bronze.

Yep - just watched online - NBC's online coverage wasn't buffering for a change. Toying with the idea of setting up a proxy server so I can stream Beeb coverage.

The bigger ones are Campbell-Ewald (here in the US), and Euro RSCG, Saatchi and Ogilvy in London. Started at Ogilvy in 1982.

OK. I started in 85 after I left the Army. Spent some time at Leo Burnett and TBWA before getting poached by one of the big airlines.

Quite posible we know several of the same people then!

Highly likely. Small world and frequent moves from agency to agency.

Yep - just watched online - NBC's online coverage wasn't buffering for a change. Toying with the idea of setting up a proxy server so I can stream Beeb coverage.

If you can, go for it. But not sure whether the Beeb block that what with license fees. You'd be able to pick which events you watch since they're covering them all.

If you can, go for it. But not sure whether the Beeb block that what with license fees. You'd be able to pick which events you watch since they're covering them all.

No, I know it's possible to get around it. If I'd thought about it last week I'd have set it up for this weekend, but I foolishly thought NBC might be showing more stuff at the weekend since people are at home rather than at work.

I tell you what, I've never missed Auntie as much.

Steve Ovett is a much nicer man, quiet and dignified. Coe will remain a horse's ass, regardless of his title... Lord Coe. What a crock.

Who cares?

He is not marrying my sister. He is arguably the greatest runner in British history. More dominant than Roger Bannister. We are talking about greatest Olympians not who is the nicest guy.

And, by what standard would Coe even qualify to get on the shortlist?

More medals? Nope. More world records? Nope. The man has nothing. Such is life.

Er, he did have world records. Phelps' will disappear one day too. However, Coe could only compete in the 800 and 1500. There was a lot more opportunity for Phelps to win. So a field hockey player could be one of the greatest athletes in the world, but can only win one medal per Olympics at most. Phelps is a machine, and a great athlete, but Coe is right - it's subjective....

Coe's gold medals are tainted in that he won during boycott Olympics with many great athletes forced to sit out.

But he ran against all of them over both the Moscow and LA Olympics. And his form at World Champs would suggest he was pretty good...

Coe was the best middle distancerunner of his era

Like I said, I think his times from 30 years ago would medal in this Olympics

Coe's gold medals are tainted in that he won during boycott Olympics with many great athletes forced to sit out.

But he ran against all of them over both the Moscow and LA Olympics. And his form at World Champs would suggest he was pretty good...

Yep, and Ovett wasn't far behind...I remember watching them race many times. There was also a bloke from Ireland called Coughlan (forget his first name) and another guy called Foster or Forster. I think there was another Brit not long after who was pretty good too, but forget his name...

Yep, and Ovett wasn't far behind...I remember watching them race many times. There was also a bloke from Ireland called Coughlan (forget his first name) and another guy called Foster or Forster. I think there was another Brit not long after who was pretty good too, but forget his name...

Eamon Coughlin.....the Irish had a lot of great milers back then

Saw him run in Madison Square Garden

Last edited:

Steve Cram. Gold medallist from Seoul as I recall.

Watched the end of the USA vs Canada women's soccer game, what a great game! Very exciting, the US won the game in the last 30 seconds after 2 OT periods. A header over the outstretched arms of the Canuck goalie. Wow!

Amazing game from both sides. Canada really brought their A-game today. I thought Christine Sinclair particularly looked very good. Didn't deserve to be on the losing side, I'd say.

As for our women. Simply brilliant from both Rapinoe and Morgan. Rapinoe is essentially the female David Beckham nowadays. No woman in the soccer world can pass the ball like she can. Her crossing and set-piece play was top-notch and her composure on the ball was clutch. Took her goal like it was second nature as well. Just casual as you like. Very much looking forward to the Japan game. As a US fan that watched them lose that world-cup final last summer, revenge is definitely on the mind.

Last edited:
I'm telling you mate, the coverage over here is a fucking joke. The two main Olympic channels for NBC right now are both (BOTH) showing women's volleyball.

Men's hammer final? Nah!

Women's 400m final? Fat chance.

And (shortly from what I'm hearing).....

Men's 100m final? On your bike sunshine - watch the volleyball and keep your trap shut!

Yes...women's volleyball...and your problem is....? :cool:

I'm telling you mate, the coverage over here is a fucking joke. The two main Olympic channels for NBC right now are both (BOTH) showing women's volleyball.

Men's hammer final? Nah!

Women's 400m final? Fat chance.

And (shortly from what I'm hearing).....

Men's 100m final? On your bike sunshine - watch the volleyball and keep your trap shut!

Yes...women's volleyball...and your problem is....? :cool:

LOL! Not a problem. But on both channels when the 400m and 100m finals were on?

I know there are plenty of Americans who aren't fans of the Olympics but you really should be very proud of your team. Stunning performances over the last couple of days, and a hatful of medals. :clap2:

They just finished the mens 800meters. The winner from Kenya set a new 800 meter world record. Sebastian Coe's record time from 30 years ago would have placed him second.

Forum List

Back