Lockerbie bomber may be released

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
Scotland: Scottish ministers could release the former Libyan intelligence agent convicted of the Lockerbie bombing because he is suffering from “advanced stage” cancer.

The SNP Administration at Holyrood confirmed today that it would consider a request for early release on the grounds of his deteriorating health.

Abdul Baset Ali al-Megrahi, 56, has been diagnosed with prostate cancer following hospital tests last month, his lawyer revealed today. Tony Kelly added that the disease has spread to other parts of his client’s body, and said it would be “unwise” to predict his life expectancy.

Al-Megrahi is serving a life sentence with a minimum term of 27 years after being convicted in 2001 of bombing Pan Am Flight 103 in 1988. All 259 men, women and children on board died along with 11 residents in the Scottish Borders town, who were killed by falling wreckage.

Lockerbie bomber could be released early because of 'advanced' cancer - Times Online

I want to take a humane view about certain things, but I must admit I'm struggling to do so with this.......

The Lockerbie bomber is to be released on compassionate grounds, the Scottish Government has announced.

Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi, 57, was jailed in 2001 for the atrocity which claimed 270 lives in 1988.

Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill revealed that the Libyan, who has terminal prostate cancer, would be allowed to return to his homeland.

The US government said it "deeply regretted" the Scottish Government's decision to release Megrahi.

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | South of Scotland | Lockerbie bomber's release agreed

I know nobody commented on the earlier post so clearly people don't share my views on this subject (or maybe just don't think it's important), but I continue to have difficulty feeling any compassion for this man.

And I think Kenny Macaskill's comment about Scots defining themselves "by their humanity" is among the biggest piles of self-serving, unctuous bullshit I've ever read. Either that or he's clearly never been to Glasgow on a Friday night.

Forum List

Back