Locked Out and Locked Up: Youth Missing in Action From Obama's Stimulus Plan

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Agnapostate, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    t r u t h o u t | Locked Out and Locked Up: Youth Missing in Action From Obama's Stimulus Plan

I don't agree with components of the article inasmuch as I don't support "childrens' rights" (I support youth rights), but on the whole, it seems to contain several commendable observations.

2. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    And buckets of absolute nonsense... Don't forget the idiots writing this claptrap think of children as anyone under 25. Or 45 if it suits them.

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    The majority of people living in poverty in the USA are children.

They are those welfare frauds that some of us complain about.

They are the parasites that many of us object to giving welfare to.

4. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Yes, don't you love these people who blame the children? If we want to help end the cycle of poverty, wouldn't one think that programs to help the children better themselves would be a positive thing?

5. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    That is because we have a welfare system that rewards unwed pregnancy and households with absent fathers which makes it even more difficult to escape poverty. It is why increasingly a family living in public housing consists of a 60 year old great great gandmother a 45 year old grandmother a thirty year old mom and a pregnant 15 year old all of whom are functionally illiterate and orbited by their various paramors, pimps, and gang bangers who are often largely interchangeable.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194

So you don't think implementing programs for children is a good start to help break that cycle? Children are great at absorbing any kind of knowledge passed their way. If we can create some programs (and there are some that exist right now) that can help these children learn skills, and want to stay in school, then maybe we can help them break that cycle. Education is the best defense against poverty.

7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,165
    exactly what on earth could have been put in an economic stimulus bill to benefit children? We are trying to freaking stimulate the economy. Children dont work. At least they better not. What are we to subsidize lemonade stands now?

Come on people! Where is the sanity in this world????

8. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Did I say that? I would say that the programs we are implementing don't seem to be solving the problem and are in many cases aggravating it when they haven't caused it out right.

We've been trying the leftist approach to helping the poor for four decades at least and we have four lost generations of children to show for it. It is now clear that the easiest way to become poor in perpetuity is to get pregnant in high school. The left's approach is condom giveaways which obviously didn't work and the right's approach is abstinence only which also doesn't work because there is no one in the lives of these children that models abstinence. I suspect that handing out free birth control pills isn't going to do more than please the pimps since their ho's won't have as much down time for pregnancy, as by and large the public housing culture views having a baby is just another way to get money from the government.

9. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194

Well, when you are calling everyone "hos" and "pimps", it's hard to take anything you say with any credibility. These are people we are talking about, and yes, a lot of them do want a better life for themselves. I teach in the inner city, in one of the poorest neighborhoods in my city. When these kids are asked what they want to be when they grow up, a lot of them say teachers, firemen, policemen, one little boy even said he wanted to be a garbage truck driver like his daddy! When you already have given up on our youth, I can see why you would be cynical. But there are some of us out here that believe we can help them make better lives for themselves. Imagine that!

10. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    I am not saying everyone is idiot. A lot of people aren't but they don't live in public housing projects. And their kids aren't truly poor because they have responsible parents both of whom often work because cost of housing tends to dictate the necessity of that. And please note that word parentS