Living (2022) Netflix

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
This is an excellent movie. Golden Globe winner 2023.
It is a British film, thus why none of us have heard of it.
I will say - if you are under 50 you may not appreciate the depth of it. It is a movie about aging and an old man looking back on his life after receiving bad news that he has advanced cancer and will only live for 4-6 weeks.

Note it is interesting they filmed it in 1:48 aspect to give it the feeling of an old movie.

Anyway - I highly recommend it.

The movie is well represented by the trailer, if the trailer doesn't interest you - the movie won't either.

I will say - if you are under 50 you may not appreciate the depth of it. It is a movie about aging and an old man looking back on his life after receiving bad news that he has advanced cancer and will only live for 4-6 weeks.

Note it is interesting they filmed it in 1:48 aspect to give it the feeling of an old movie.

The movie is well represented by the trailer, if the trailer doesn't interest you - the movie won't either.

It's a remake of a very good 1952 Japanese film. Ikiru. Written and directed by Akira Kurosawa (yes, that Akira Kurosawa).

I saw that, and which one is the best movie seems divided nearly equally by critics who saw both.

I'll probably watch Ikiru then Living since I have access to both IMAX & Netflix). I'll try to remember to revisit this thread and let you know what I think. Ikiru does have a 1.2 point higher rating on IMDb, but that rating system doesn't always reflect my opinion of a film.

I'll probably watch Ikiru then Living since I have access to both IMAX & Netflix). I'll try to remember to revisit this thread and let you know what I think. Ikiru does have a 1.2 point higher rating on IMDb, but that rating system doesn't always reflect my opinion of a film.
Aye... but both are intellectual films.
No one is going to "accidently" watch Ikiru, they will be someone who is purposefully watching it such as yourself. Living only has 51% audience approval, which is par for the course for almost every intellectual movie. As well as the movie is better suited for the over 50 demographic

We must have similar taste because I really liked this movie. I believe much of the credit for it's success goes to Bill Nighy, one of the most underrated actors around. He is equally at home playing serious drama such as this movie or comedy. In the link below he discusses his career including Living. His breakout role was in the rom com, Love Actually in which he played Billy Mack, the rock and roll legend. There's a good clip of him in this role below.

You're right about the age group for this movie. People in their 20's and younger are never going die. In their 30s and 40's, they are too busy to think about it. Sometime in their 50's or later they begin to think this just might happen to them someday. Anyway, good movie.

Last edited:
We must have similar taste because I really liked this movie. I believe much of the credit for it's success goes to Bill Nighy, one of the most underrated actors around. He is equally at home playing serious drama such as this movie or comedy. In the link below he discusses his career including Living. His breakout role was in the rom com, Love Actually in which he played Billy Mack, the rock and roll legend. There's a good clip of him in this role below.

You're right about the age group for this movie. People in their 20's and younger are never going die. In their 30s and 40's, they are too busy to think about it. Sometime in their 50's or later they begin to think this just might happen to them someday. Anyway, good movie.
And I am actually glad it was a British film.
I am afraid if it was made in America they would have picked a super good looking young actress for the part of Margaret and would have went down a road where he made a pass at her etc. Which would have ruined the entire story around the two.

And I am actually glad it was a British film.
I am afraid if it was made in America they would have picked a super good looking young actress for the part of Margaret and would have went down a road where he made a pass at her etc. Which would have ruined the entire story around the two.
This movie will not be considered a hit because it's boxoffice is only about 12 million and it's budget is about 8 to 10 million. To achieve hit status, there are certainly criteria to be met. The first criteria, a story that is likely to appeal to audiences 17-34, which this movie certainly does not meet. 2nd it needs strong media sponsorship and star power, which it does not have. This usually means at least a 40 million dollar budget. Lastly, it needs sex appeal, or the underdog winning despite the odds, or breathtaking spectacles of buildings crashes, blood gushing out of headless warriors , etc. Again, not this movie.

One has to wonder why such a movie was made. I believe it was because some people with 10 million dollars wanted to see a retelling of the Tolstoy’s novella The Death of Ivan Ilyich, a little story about a very big subject. It's a miracle movies like this ever get made considering that investors in entertainment projects rarely have any interest without at likely return 2X.

Last edited:
Or you could read the novelette by Tolstoy The Death of Ivan Ilyich on which both films were based.

Forum List

Back