Literacy Tests?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Semper Fi, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I was thinking the other day. Does it sound feasible to have a test to have to pass before getting the right to vote? That way we don't have mindless robots (celebrities and the girls from that Outback show come to mind) going to the polls and voting what they think is "right", because the man on the screen said it was. It wouldnt be like the literacy tests of pre-Civil War south, but more of an interview, asking if you contribute to society, if you at all have an interest in politics, ect. I think it sounds like a good idea. If your not smart enough to pass the test, it'll be another 4 years for you. That kind of ammends the constitution, so that may be a problem.

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    No tests - just give that power to me. I'll make the decisions on who has the right to vote or not. :D

3. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Yes, I think that prospective voters should be required to pass a simple test that would measure their abilities to pay attention and follow instructions. It would not ask whether or not they contribute to society. It would not ask about their interest in politics. I would measure their ability to read and follow simple instructions. For it to be fair, it should be given to every prospective voter but perhaps some emphasis should be placed on Florida Democrats.

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    It will never happen. There were literacy tests in the past down south. They were used in a way to keep Blacks from voting. and even though times have changed i doubt there is going to be a strong movement of people supporting requiring literacy tests which have had a racist past.

5. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Perhpas someone should be a bit concerned about the constitutionality of such and endeavor?

6. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking would be the flaw. The Constitution, however, is a living document. So it can change.

Oh and Avatar, I noted that in my first post. That test was ridiculously hard, none of my eighth grade classmates passed it, let alone any 19th century farmers and sharecroppers (no offense). I should have said not a literacy test, but more of an interview, to make sure we're not dealing with a bunch of ditzy pot-heads.

And Im wondering, what is the politcally correct term for a person with dark skin? Negro is frowned upon, AA is segratory, in a way. Black is the only real choice, but its a bit harsh, in my opinion. But you cant say 'the blacks' without being a racist or a redneck in the eyes of the common American. I dont know, I just avoid it alltogether.

7. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    The Constitution does not guarantee the right to vote. Women, 18-year-olds and blacks are given the right to vote vis a vis others, but. If a state wanted to pull up the right to vote on everyone, nothing in the Constitution would prevent this. The Supreme Court would probably lie and say it did, however, so none of you ninny-heads need fear that the punk with the lip ring, age 19, won't be able to vote for John Kerry.

The extension of the franchise was the beginning of the end. Democracy makes the stupid relevant. They shouldn't be. But there they are. Please everyone, and you do nothing of consequence. Thus, our elected leaders do nothing of consequence.

Not that it matters, really. Those with a will to power will get it, neverminding the right of all people to vote. Those who sought power during the age of kings just had to do it a little differently, that's all. The same sorts always seem to float upward, no matter what political system you put in place. We all like to pretend we're so enlightened and different from our ancestors, but I doubt it.

Democracy is the same sham that monarchy was --- it just has better public relations.

8. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    William, you didn't work a vast Jewish conspiracy into your post... are you feeling okay?

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Wow, you're correct. I thought we must have misread, but no, not a one! :clap1:

10. Big D

Big D Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Blacks vote for other blacks no matter what, does the name Marion Berry ring a bell?