Linux Distributions

Well, I decided to install Korora on my desktop PC.

RedHat was where I began with Linux.
They were the first, IMO, who sought to make Linux an OS for everyone.
RPM's were way ahead of everyone else, back then when you wanted to install something it was up to you to identify all of the dependencies - AND - the right release of those dependencies. It was a nightmare before RPM's.
RedHat was the first to take Linux Desktop seriously.

RPM's were way ahead of everyone else, back then when you wanted to install something it was up to you to identify all of the dependencies - AND - the right release of those dependencies. It was a nightmare before RPM's.
Can you tell me more about these dependencies?

Now having a Windows 8.1/Korora 20 dual boot System. I would appreciate some help.
1. How can configure the bootloader? I want Windows 8.1 to start by default.
2. I have over 900 elements to update with "Apper". That´s a lot and it sticks at 10 % though blocking my internet connection (about 1,4 Megabyte/second).
3. Call me noob but I don´t find a Taskmanager.
4. How can I install the Nvidia driver. It is a .run file.

Last edited:

Can you tell me more about these dependencies?

Example:
An older music player was XMMS. (still exist actually)
The program itself does not contain all of the info needed to run on all of the various Linux systems and specific hardware. So you would download XMMS and compile it.
Generally done by the "make" command. - Linux make Command Explained With Examples
The makefile would, hopefully, tell you of any needed dependencies.
Doesn't sound so bad - well yes it was. Because you would have to hunt around on the net for those dependencies. And then many times, well most of the time, there would be other dependencies needed to for that dependency to work.
It could easily take 2 or 3 hours to get a program to work.
Until Redhat made "RPM" Which stood for "Redhat Package Manager"
Redhat place into the installer many dependencies for most systems, and had many others stored on mirror sites that the RPM knew to look for if it still needed one.

Triple boot Win7(Never use it----photoshop=Adobe crap---- Business cards.
First boot set MX18
Second Mint Debian 2
I was a friend of Ian Murdock and Debz. Used Linux exclusively since 1997

Triple boot Win7(Never use it----photoshop=Adobe crap-one camera).
First boot set MX18 Continuum
Second Mint Debian 2
First boot set MX18
Second Mint Debian 2
I guess the latest Photoshop isn´t working on Win7.
Not sure. I generally use Gimp. I just installed 7 with a bunch of bootlegs on this SSD so I'd have it, if needed, and then put the Linux on the other 2 partitions.( and one for data)
Nazi Windows, as you know, wont install on one partition, It wipes all drives
My wifeys laptop is W10 with MX 18 if(never) I need that

Second Mint Debian 2
First boot set MX18
Second Mint Debian 2
Not sure. I generally use Gimp. I just installed 7 with a bunch of bootlegs on this SSD so I'd have it, if needed, and then put the Linux on the other 2 partitions.( and one for data)
No, it doesn´t. It just puts the boot files on C: wherever you put the OS on. If your Linux isn´t completely deranged, it can handle this.

Second Mint Debian 2
First boot set MX18
Second Mint Debian 2
No, it doesn´t. It just puts the boot files on C: wherever you put the OS on. If your Linux isn´t completely deranged, it can handle this.
You skewlin me that I could install 10 without molesting the other partitions and still using my bootloader ? Never heard that one ?

Second Mint Debian 2
First boot set MX18
Second Mint Debian 2
You skewlin me that I could install 10 without molesting the other partitions and still using my bootloader ? Never heard that one ?
Theoretically. But you have to overwrite the Windows 10 bootloader then. It is good while you use it as primary system but I guess you won´t. It loads half the OS before you are given the choice what to boot.
The best is to install Windows first and then Linux.

Second Mint Debian 2
First boot set MX18
Second Mint Debian 2
Theoretically. But you have to overwrite the Windows 10 bootloader then. It is good while you use it as primary system but I guess you won´t. It loads half the OS before you are given the choice what to boot.
Understood. That's the only way I've ever done it or thought was possible. Thanks

Second Mint Debian 2
Understood. That's the only way I've ever done it or thought was possible. Thanks
The best solution imo is to use separate drives. Disconnect all except one, install an OS, do the same with the other and now you can choose from the Bios quickboot menu if you need the secondary OS. So even if a bootloader breaks for a reason you can still boot from the other drive and they won´t come amiss.

MX Linux has a GRUB tool in it pkg. Pretty nice gui tool
Screen grab
Screenshot.png

As far as I know you always need to install Windows first then Linux.
Linux looks for, and allows other OS's to exist and will create a loader to choose which OS you want to boot.
Windows, on the other hand, is typical Microsoft attitude: "Out of the way! Microsoft coming thru!!"
Then, in my opinion, M$ worked with PC manufacturers to make it increasingly difficult to install another OS period. Your average user didn't have the knowledge or the confidence to make changes in the BIOS.

Over the past couple years I tried over twenty distros, and only found four that met my minimum requirement (run as LiveCD, and connect to the internet automatically). Those were MX Linux, TAILS, Linux Mint and AntiX. Of those, MX Linux was my 'pick of the litter', for ease of use and intuitiveness of layout. TAILS was second place. Linux Mint and AntiX both tied for third (not so easy to use nor intuitive design, but okay). I have been running MX Linux in LiveCD mode a couple hours most days for about a year (using it to teach myself Linux), and ready to install it to my secondary HDD. For M$ expats, or just them wanting a backup OS, MX Linux is the choice.

Forum List

Back