Linux Distributions

Maybe I'll build another medium range box, Kubuntu was a bust on the old Dell, too many issues. I also tried Mint's KDE and OpenSUSE, Mint KDE had the same issues as Kubuntu and while openSUSE is an awesome distro, it also has issues with the Dell plus I'm still learning Gnome-terminal and openSUSE uses Konsole with different commands.
Soooo, believe it or not, I reloaded Ubuntu 11.10 and log into the gnome shell instead of Unity at startup.
The number of shell extensions are rapidly growing making the new Gnome interface more customizable via the Gnome Tweak Too. You can even install and run Compiz Manager again but be careful, not all the setting play nice with Gnome 3 yet and some will even break Unity, messing up your entire desktop, I know, I found out the hard way. :lol:

I just dropped a new HDD in my gals box and installed Bodhi 1.4.Once you go through a couple of E17 totorials it's pretty nice. It didn't like Rythmbox for some reason so I installed " Clementine".I like it better than Rythmbox. I installed Chrome since Midori isn't quite ready for prime time yet.

Sorry about the dumbass, loudmouth murkin:cuckoo: but his videos are decent.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sjy2WtMqcA&feature=related]Release: Bodhi Linux 1.4.0 - YouTube[/ame]

Just discovered a relatively new distro, the Korora Project. It's built on Fedora, comes in KDE or Gnome and has 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Supposedly it provides complete out of the box experience for newbies. I'll check it out.

https://kororaproject.org/

RED STAR OS 2

nzul.jpg

Download:
https://mega.co.nz/#!2toz2JKI

Key:
Z4z8gie9i0UyL-yzLLHxXD4_-0cRyVY1bK-k_He3gBg

Name:
red_star_os.iso

Size:
693.0 MB

Bleipriester said:
How to install Red Star OS 2.0

Caution:
Do not install Red Star OS 2.0 on your primary machine, it will delete your Windows installation without prompt.

1. Download the iso file
2. An iso-file appears, burn it on a CD-R. It doesn´t work with Virtal PC 2007.
3. Boot the CD with a computer, which has at least 800 Mhz, 256 MB of ram and 3 GB diskspace.
4. If a menu appears, which offers to choose two points, choose the first and click next by clicking the right button at the bottom.
5. Now choose the partition, you want to be the Red Star partition.
6. The next window (symbolized by a key) seems to be an account creation menu, but it isn´t. Type redstar in both input fields and click next.
7. Red Star is being installed now.
8. Klick the button, when the installation is done.
9. Always log on with the password redstar.

Handling:
Red star is Korean. But most options a also symbolized by icons.

Caution:
Don´t copy any files onto a windows computer anyway. Windows has problems to open them and even could not be able anymore to open the folders and partitions, on which the files a stored until these files are deleted. The wallpapers and desktop backgrounds I made for you before are OK.

Possible problems:
1. Sometimes, the mouse curser is not displayed, but it works. In that case click the red star on the left bottom to open the start menu and click the shut down button. Now press return. This will cause a log off and the log on screen appaers. Then log on, this time the curser should be displayed.

2. Changing the resolution could cause a system halt. Press the reset button. Red Star will reboot. The new resolution is activated now.

About Red Star OS 2.0:
Linux Kernel: 2.6.25-14
Desktop: KDE 3.5.1
Browser: Naenara (Firefox 2.0.0.8)
Mediaplayer: Mplayer 1.0

Red Star comes with a second disk, on wich is:
Open Office 3.0
Gimp 2.2
K3b1.1
Bluemail
Bluefax
Wine
Antivirus Woodpecker
Firewall Stronghold Pyongyang

I don´t have the second disk.

If you have any problems downloading or installing Red Star, write me.

Bleipriester

Screenshot of the filemanager:
mycomputer.jpg

Some included Wallpapers :)

19523426.jpg

96681938.jpg

65054723.jpg

80039610.jpg

59199829.jpg

Okay, downloaded a burned different versions of Korora. Can't get the live CD to work. Tried it on a couple of computers, no luck. :dunno:

Now online with Kororoa (live). Using the Universal Netboot Installer to copy the image to a flash drive and boot from it works fine for me.

Just discovered a relatively new distro, the Korora Project. It's built on Fedora, comes in KDE or Gnome and has 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Supposedly it provides complete out of the box experience for newbies. I'll check it out.

https://kororaproject.org/
I give it a try. My Notebook will then be a XP x64, Korona x64 dual Boot system. Korona is a big one, 2,43 Gb, so it has a lot of things out of the box.
Thank you for your post.

Tried Fedora again, love the interface but it took forever for the live CD to load. Also tried PCLinuxOS, (KDE), reported as being the most "Windows Like". Live CD loaded fast and yup Windows users would have an easy time with it however I found it "cluttered". Tons of preloaded package choices all through the menu selection and everything works right out of the box.

What....no TinyCore?
With a 12MB installer....can't complain about the LiveCD!! :lol:

It took ten minutes for Fedora to load off the LiveCD, twice. The third time it failed to load. 8 GB of RAM, did a memory test, working fine. PCLinuxOS loaded in about 20 seconds.
:dunno:

You guys ever try the "Ultimate Ubuntu"?

Freaking nuts. Basically Ubuntu with all kinds of graphic fluff pre-set and a dizzying number of pre-loaded software installed. I can't remember how many GB the installer was. I tried it once for the funofit...crazy system.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys ever try the "Ultimate Ubuntu"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGM-31n9pIA

Freaking nuts. Basically Ubuntu with all kinds of graphic fluff pre-set and a dizzying number of pre-loaded software installed. I can't remember how many GB the installer was. I tried it once for the funofit...crazy system.

Supposedly in really it's UltaMint. :dunno: I noticed 4.0 has a gamers edition.

Forum List

Back