Limit Orders

Any traders here like doing limit orders? Do you have rules when to place them, or do you just trust your gut when is the best time to make them?

Curious.

/——/ For decades I placed a market order, but several pro traders warned me that I could get stuck with a higher buy order or lower sell order if mine gets matched to a mistake.
For the last 5 years I’ve placed limit orders with no issue. My Think or Swim platform defaults to limit.

A recent limit order I placed on a volatile stock was not the best idea. Volatile stocks are, by their nature, going to have a lot of price fluctuation, and one I hold that is currently dropping in value (now that it is an election year I see its value slipping leading up to it with all the uncertainty of who will be President, but I digress) and it dropped farther than I thought it would, triggering the sale.

Had I of just sold it outright I could have gotten a much better share price, but that volatility meant a sudden drop in price I was not expecting. Lesson learned.

Any traders here like doing limit orders? Do you have rules when to place them, or do you just trust your gut when is the best time to make them?

Curious.

Years ago when I was an active trader, I used limit order only on OTC stocks with a thin float where one large order could send the price up or down so far that the trade doesn't make sense. On heavily traded stocks today, I would use a market order because my decision to trade would be based on where the stock price is at this moment in time and what is happening in the market.

Years ago when I was an active trader, I used limit order only on OTC stocks with a thin float where one large order could send the price up or down so far that the trade doesn't make sense. On heavily traded stocks today, I would use a market order because my decision to trade would be based on where the stock price is at this moment in time and what is happening in the market.

Such gimmicks should be illegal; at the very least the results should be taxed at 50% or more if any savings or gains were realized, on each such transaction.
Why?

I use limit orders when I know I'll get the stock at the price I set.

I pay taxes on capital gains.

Not nearly enough, and it's not 'capital gains', it's gambling, just wagers. You add nothing to the production and use of the commodities, you're just another parasite adding to the costs for no benefit or adding any real value to production of goods. A minimum tax of 50% to 75% would be more than fair on the amount of the wager.

Not nearly enough, and it's not 'capital gains', it's gambling, just wagers. You add nothing to the production and use of the commodities, you're just another parasite adding to the costs for no benefit or adding any real value to production of goods. A minimum tax of 50% to 75% would be more than fair on the amount of the wager.

How is my stock profit "adding to the costs for no benefit or adding any real value to production of goods"?

Be specific.

My "gambling" allowed me to retire at 56.

You're dismissed.

My "gambling" allowed me to retire at 56.

You're dismissed.

Yes, I know you're a parasite who couldn't live on what they were worth in the market and needed to make bets to get ahead. Why you think that's news is hilarious.

/——/ My gambling grosses me about $4,000 a week. Love my covered calls.

How is my stock profit "adding to the costs for no benefit or adding any real value to production of goods"?

Be specific.

Why? You never are. Just bable some more idiot platitudes, pat yourself and the other gamblers on the back like you usually do, then post 50 more one liner questions like a 4 year old following Daddy around in the garage.

Forum List

Back