Lie of the year, 2011 yeah it's democrats

Katzndogz

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2011
PolitiFact | Lie of the Year 2011: 'Republicans voted to end Medicare'

Republicans muscled a budget through the House of Representatives in April that they said would take an important step toward reducing the federal deficit. Introduced by U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, the plan kept Medicare intact for people 55 or older, but dramatically changed the program for everyone else by privatizing it and providing government subsidies.

Democrats pounced. Just four days after the party-line vote, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee released a Web ad that said seniors will have to pay $12,500 more for health care "because Republicans voted to end Medicare."

Don't worry... they won the award, but I'm sure there's plenty of them coming from the right to make up for the prestige of the one.

Well, I didn't think this would happen, but I utterly disagree with PolitiFact on this one. Saying the GOP voted to end Medicare is an accurate statement.

The only way it isn't an accurate statement is if you think getting rid of your dog named Spot and replacing it with a chair named Spot means the chair can suddenly fetch.

Well, I didn't think this would happen, but I utterly disagree with PolitiFact on this one. Saying the GOP voted to end Medicare is an accurate statement.

The only way it isn't an accurate statement is if you think getting rid of your dog named Spot and replacing it with a chair named Spot means the chair can suddenly fetch.

I agree with you on this. Had that legislation passed it most certainly would have ended Medicare. And just because it would have stayed the same for those currently collecting doesn't make it any more palatable.

Ryan's plan provided government subsidies (read it "entitlements") back to the states. But there's no doubt in anyone's mind that just as soon as it passed the GOP would have been screaming "ENTITLEMENT SPENDING!! WE MUST DEFUND IT"!!!!!!!

Then what? Every American not old enough to participate would have been FUCKED.

Yeah, it would have ended it. The Seniors are a little smarter than the GOP gives them credit for.

Politifact's lie of the year is the joke of the year. So much for relying on Politifact to tell the truth. FactCheck.org, here I come.

PolitiFact | Lie of the Year 2011: 'Republicans voted to end Medicare'

Republicans muscled a budget through the House of Representatives in April that they said would take an important step toward reducing the federal deficit. Introduced by U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, the plan kept Medicare intact for people 55 or older, but dramatically changed the program for everyone else by privatizing it and providing government subsidies.

Democrats pounced. Just four days after the party-line vote, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee released a Web ad that said seniors will have to pay $12,500 more for health care "because Republicans voted to end Medicare."
Gee, what a surprise, NOT, the CON$ervative "Lie of the Year" is a lie!

The GOP ended Medicare and replaced it with a voucher system to buy a private health care insurance policy but the vouchers don't cover the whole cost and are tied to the cost of living rather than the cost of medical care, which is greater than the cost of living, so each year the vouchers will pay less and less of the cost of the private insurance. The GOP are calling their voucher system "Medicare" to claim they didn't end Medicare, but in reality they ended Medicare and replaced it with something completely different by the same name that requires seniors to pay more and more each and every year or die.

Politifact's lie of the year is the joke of the year. So much for relying on Politifact to tell the truth. FactCheck.org, here I come.

Dont like the message, shoot the messenger.

The message is BS. Ryan's budget effectively ends Medicare. Medicare is a guaranteed benefit for people 65 and up. It has been guaranteed since its inception. Ryan's budget turns it into a voucher program - ending Medicare as we know it. Sorry that it's hard for you and Politifact to understand it, but that's the truth.

Introduced by U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, the plan kept Medicare intact for people 55 or older, but dramatically changed the program for everyone else ...

Medicare is no longer "intact" (Politifact's word) for future generations but pointing that out is the lie of the year?

Too bad, they used to be pretty good at what they do.

From your fucking article:

Under the Ryan plan, future beneficiaries would be given a credit and invited to shop for an approved plan on a Medicare health insurance exchange. It received overwhelming support from Republicans in a House vote on a budget blueprint.

That would make it a "voucher" program.

The entire reason medicare started was because old people couldn't get help. You Republicans really disgust me. The majority of your dirty party is over 60. You're gonna need medicare more than anyone else and you talk about turning it into a "voucher" program with would make it NOT medicare.

What is wrong with these Republicans? Are they fucking BRAIN Damaged?

Israel's statement that Republicans voted to "end Medicare" was not necessarily factually inaccurate. It is reasonable to claim (though impossible to prove) that the vote Republicans took, if it had been made into law, would have ended or fundamentally altered (Republicans could argue "improved") Medicare.

However, Politifact awards its "pants on fire" and "lie of the year" ratings to statements that are widely heard, inflammatory and deceptive, not just to those which are the most factually inaccurate. Politifact, in describing how they chose the lie of the year (http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2011/dec/20/how-we-chose-lie-year/) describe their choice as the "most significant" falsehood rather than the greatest one. Indeed, Politifact describes their choice for lie of the year as only "clearly inaccurate" while others that were rejected as less significant were "clearly false". By choosing "inaccurate", which can mean "inexact" or "faulty" as well as "untrue" (Inaccurate | Define Inaccurate at Dictionary.com) Politifact seems to acknowledge that there is a case to be made that the statement is not actually counterfactual.

I think this underscores how important it is to read Politifact's analysis rather than just their ratings. I've never caught them in an inaccuracy, but I've often felt that their bare ratings were misleading.

Last edited:

Dont like the message, shoot the messenger.

The message is BS. Ryan's budget effectively ends Medicare. Medicare is a guaranteed benefit for people 65 and up. It has been guaranteed since its inception. Ryan's budget turns it into a voucher program - ending Medicare as we know it. Sorry that it's hard for you and Politifact to understand it, but that's the truth.

If the Left stopped lying they'd have nothing to say.

It is no more, or less, accurate than calling Obamacare a government takeover of healthcare.

Indeed sir. It'as a hard SWING to the appease the Right who has been and continues to diminish and dismiss them inspite of. Sad to see they have chosen the way of the MSM. The Right will NEVER validate them!

FactCheck.org it is.

Introduced by U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, the plan kept Medicare intact for people 55 or older, but dramatically changed the program for everyone else ...

Medicare is no longer "intact" (Politifact's word) for future generations but pointing that out is the lie of the year?

Too bad, they used to be pretty good at what they do.

By pretty good you mean they always reinforced your bias.

From your fucking article:

Under the Ryan plan, future beneficiaries would be given a credit and invited to shop for an approved plan on a Medicare health insurance exchange. It received overwhelming support from Republicans in a House vote on a budget blueprint.

That would make it a "voucher" program.

The entire reason medicare started was because old people couldn't get help. You Republicans really disgust me. The majority of your dirty party is over 60. You're gonna need medicare more than anyone else and you talk about turning it into a "voucher" program with would make it NOT medicare.

What is wrong with these Republicans? Are they fucking BRAIN Damaged?

It is not a voucher program, it is a premium support program.

Forum List

Back