Liberals suddenly discover they don't like high taxes

The Right wanted spending cuts, too, until the sequester put a big chunk of military spending on the table,

then, suddenly, well, not so much.

Conservatives don't want government to be smaller; they want the other guy's government to be smaller.

We not only spend too much. We spend it on nonsense.

We can do with a little less of this kind of spending.

A reality TV show in India. The Department of Agriculture’s Market Access Program spends $200 million a year to help U.S. agricultural trade associations and cooperatives advertise their products in foreign markets. In 2011, it funded a reality TV show in India that advertised U.S. cotton.
Studying pig poop. The Environmental Protection Agency awarded a $141,450 grant under the Clean Air Act to fund a Chinese study on swine manure and a $1.2 million grant to the United Nations for clean fuel promotion.
Amtrak snacks. Federally subsidized Amtrak lost $84.5 million on its food and beverage services in 2011 and $833.8 million over the past 10 years. It has never broken even on these services.
Using military exercises to boost biofuels. The U.S. Navy bought 450,000 gallons of biofuels for $12 million—or almost $27 per gallon—to conduct exercises to showcase the fuel and bring it closer toward commercialization. It is the largest biofuel purchase ever made by the government.
Conferences for government employees. In 2008 and 2009 alone, the Department of Justice spent $121 million to host or participate in 1,832 conferences.
Waste Book 2012:
“RoboSquirrel.” $325,000 was spent on a robotic squirrel named “RoboSquirrel.” This National Science Foundation grant was used to create a realistic-looking robotic squirrel for the purpose of studying how a rattlesnake would react to it.
Cupcakes. In Washington, D.C., and elsewhere across the country, cupcake shops are trending. The 10 cupcake shop owners who received $2 million in Small Business Administration loan guarantees, however, can only boast so much of their entrepreneurial ingenuity, since taxpayers are backing them up.
Food stamps for alcohol and junk food. Though they were intended to ensure hungry children received healthy meals, taxpayer-funded food stamps were instead spent on fast food at Taco Bell and Burger King; on non-nutritious foods such as candy, ice cream, and soft drinks; and on some 2,000 deceased persons in New York and Massachusetts. Food stamp recipients spent $2 billion on sugary drinks alone. Improper SNAP payments accounted for $2.5 billion in waste, including to one exotic dancer who was making $85,000 per year.
Beer brewing in New Hampshire. Despite Smuttynose brewery’s financial success and popularity, it is still getting a $750,970 Community Development Block Grant to build a new brewery and restaurant facilities.
A covered bridge to nowhere. What list of government waste would be complete without a notorious “bridge to nowhere”? In this case, it’s $520,000 to fix the Stevenson Road Covered Bridge in Green County, Ohio, which was last used in 2003.

Top 10 Examples of Wasteful Federal Spending in 2012

If only someone had explained this to them before.

Wait, we did.

They’re ready to jump off a real cliff.
New Yorkers of all income levels got a rude awakening yesterday when they saw in The Post how much more they will pay in taxes next year without a fiscal-cliff deal by Jan. 1.
“It’s that much higher?” asked IT worker Vikas Kataria, 34, who discovered that his combined household income of about $250,000 per year will cost him nearly $10,000 more in taxes.
“I thought it was a couple thousand — but that’s a lot,” said Kataria, who works at Merrill Lynch in Manhattan and is married to a systems analyst for a brokerage firm. “That’s huge!”

With higher taxes, the couple would have to cut out on traveling and family vacations.
Clothing designer Peter Opie, of Canary Wharf Clothier, made about $2 million this year — and would see his tax bill spike by a staggering $100,000.
“The system is nuts here — it’s madness personified!” he said
“We were impacted massively by the hurricane — and now there is this,” said Opie. “You work your butt off and you end up with next to nothing.”

Folks freak at size of tax hikes if fiscal cliff isn’t averted - NYPOST.com

As a New Yorker with a high salary and real estate..no I don't like higher taxes.

But I like roads, the US mail, clean water, electricity and a plethora of other services the government provides.

And as a Liberal, I realize there is no free lunch or pie in the sky.

So watcha gonna do?

:dunno:

80% of the taxes you pay go to feed ticks on the ass of society. Private companies provide your electricity, not the government. In many areas they also provide the clean water.

I'd like a line item tax return.

Would you be in favor of that?

Or would be to much direct democracy.

You mean where each taxpayer could decide line-by-line what his taxes are spent on?

I would love that, but you libs would hate it, because that would be the end of welfare and social security

The top one percent's share of total income has risen the more in the U.S. than in any other major Western country since 1960, according to a new paper by Thomas Piketty and Emmanuel Saez, economics professors at the Paris School of Economics and the University of California at Berkeley, respectively. While the top one percent's share of income declined in some European countries and rose by up to 4 percentage points in most others during that period, it spiked by more than 9 percentage points in the U.S.

Tax policy also has tilted more favorably toward the rich in the U.S. than in nearly all major Western countries. The top income tax rate has fallen modestly in most major Western countries since 1960, but it has collapsed by more than 45 percentage points here.

Anyone using "household income" to prove some point simply unmasks himself as a con artist. The size of the average household has decreased drastically in the last few decades because of the larger number of single parent households (unwed mothers). That's the main reason household income has declined for people in the lower income groups. It has nothing to do with tax cuts.

Wait, we did.

New Yorkers of all income levels got a rude awakening yesterday when they saw in The Post how much more they will pay in taxes next year without a fiscal-cliff deal by Jan. 1.
“It’s that much higher?” asked IT worker Vikas Kataria, 34, who discovered that his combined household income of about $250,000 per year will cost him nearly $10,000 more in taxes.
“I thought it was a couple thousand — but that’s a lot,” said Kataria, who works at Merrill Lynch in Manhattan and is married to a systems analyst for a brokerage firm. “That’s huge!”

With higher taxes, the couple would have to cut out on traveling and family vacations.
Clothing designer Peter Opie, of Canary Wharf Clothier, made about $2 million this year — and would see his tax bill spike by a staggering $100,000.
“We were impacted massively by the hurricane — and now there is this,” said Opie. “You work your butt off and you end up with next to nothing.”

:lol::lol::eusa_boohoo:

I don't like higher taxes but it is in reality what is needed. I did not like it when Reagan did it to me, Bush I or Clinton. But I would like to see govt. payrolls decrease. I doubt that police will take a cut or the war on drugs which is a waste of money. I doubt any office holder will sacrifice their retirement of fringe benefit list, the rich and their tax deductions, It will be put squarely upon the common workers. Do the private armies of government really need everything they have?

How on Earth would my tax bill being lower affect anyone else's income? How fucking stupid.

There were over a trillion dollars in spending cuts in 2010. And they came up with the sequestration.

Personally? I don't see the problem with the sequester.

It cuts defense by a little bit..and bumps rates up to pre Bush tax cuts.

The other stuff it does is mean spirited and would hurt the economy. But Republicans should love that.

By the way..if Republicans want cuts..they should go on record and identify what they want to cut.

Obama ran on raising tax rates.

So he took the political hit.

Time to share.

Liberal Dictionary:
==========================================
Mean spirited - any cut in non-defense spending.

Last edited:
The Right wanted spending cuts, too, until the sequester put a big chunk of military spending on the table,

then, suddenly, well, not so much.

Conservatives don't want government to be smaller; they want the other guy's government to be smaller.

That would still make government smaller, knucklehead.

Why do you define military spending as "conservative government?" are you saying that if liberals had a free hand they would cut the military to zero?

American patriots like to pay their fair share of taxes.

Only morons like paying taxes. Patriots understand that sending more money to Washington doesn't help the country. It only helps a lot of ticks on the ass of society.

Right. SO you don't use the roads, or ever visit a national park.

And I'm sure that when you are unemployed, you refuse unemployment compensation, and you are going to refuse Social Security when you retire.

Of course not. You're "entitled" to those things.

What you get is an entitlement, the other folks get welfare.

If I didn't have to pay taxes, I would be fine with that. But you aren't going to allow that, are you?

BTW, that national parks are mostly self funding. Entrance fees cover all the bills and then some for most of them. Roads can be privately built.

and when you have private roads that you are not allowed to use, what then?

Why would a corporation build a road and then not allow people to use it? How would it make any money doing that?

He must be referring to the same corporations that liberals think have business plans to kill off their customers.

Last edited:

Wait, we did.

As a New Yorker with a high salary and real estate..no I don't like higher taxes.

But I like roads, the US mail, clean water, electricity and a plethora of other services the government provides.

And as a Liberal, I realize there is no free lunch or pie in the sky.

So watcha gonna do?

The only reason government provides most of those things is that they made it illegal for anyone else to do so. As an intelligent human being TANSTAAFL is part of my creed, which is why I always object to calls for "free" education and "free" health care. The simple fact is that there are not enough rich people to pay for everything you think the government has to provide, which means that we either need to cut spending, or increase taxes on the middle class and the working poor.

That throws the question right back in your lap. what are we going to do?

Before you actually answer, there is something you should know from a historical perspective. Whatever the actual tax rate has been the government has, historically, collected less than 20% of GDP in revenue. Higher taxes, by themselves, are not going to fix the problem.

Forum List

Back